Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Walther Brethren,
This is my first post on the PP Forum (have frequented the P99 Forum for a month or so now) , because...

...I brought home a "new-to-me" PPK/S (Interarms 1995) in .380 ACP. from a gun show this weekend! This was always on my "buy someday" list but 1) when I saw it at the show with orginal everything, and aside from a few smudges in the surface of the stainless steel 2) you couldn't tell it had fired the 200 rounds claimed by the owner, "someday" became yesterday!!

This evening I ran 100 rounds of WWB through it, but I should have quit after 75 or so as the last 25 were painful. Before I expand on that (which is the gist of this post), I am delighted to report that aside from a single FTF, it performed flawlessly, and was very accurate. Not sure why I had to assist that one round into the chamber, but I tried to make it happen again through very rapid fire, deliberately limp wristing, etc. and I couldn't do it. If the former owner wasn't fibbing and these were truly only the 200th to 300th rounds fired through it, maybe it's still breaking-in. But on to my question...

...I had read that some shooters suffer either cuts from the slide and/or something called "hammer bite" which I assumed was the striking of the hammer on the bare skin on the shootng hand. During the first 75 rounds I fired I was delighted that neither of these plagued me. HOWEVER, for the last 25 rounds or so, I noticed a very severe pain in the muscle/bone in the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger. Five hours later as I write these words, it's still very painful. When I place the PPK in my hand here at home, it becomes obvious that the point source of the pain is the beavertail NOT the hammer. Apparently, the recoil is driving the beavertail and upper part of the backstrap into the web of my hand. Is this actually what is referred to as "hammer bite," or is this another idiosyncracy of this marvelous little pistol? In any case, is there a remedy to what is ailing me?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I wouldn't say that what you are experiencing is hammer bite. That's more of a pinching of the skin from the hammer, or maybe cuts from the bottom of the slide.

The ppk/s in .380 is a bit snappy, and after 75 rounds or so, you may have bruised your hand, especially if you were intentionally limp wristing. Thats just the thoughts of a non-doc though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
These guns are designed for carry and some shooting, not extended range sessions. You've got what the medical people call a "sore hand".:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These guns are designed for carry and some shooting, not extended range sessions. You've got what the medical people call a "sore hand".:eek:
Yeah, I've figured that out now after MLB confirmed that hammer bite is a pinching affect, which I always thought. And now just holding the little jewel with the beavertail between my thumb and trigger finger (the base of the thumb's the sorest spot) brings back the pain. It's clear: the steel beavertail jams me but good between these two digits!:mad:

So, again what are some common remedies to minimize the effect (soft aftermarket grips, lower hold, etc.)? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem, the PPK was simply never really designed to be a range gun. I shoot a box a week with my PPK/S, I shoot 22 the first day, and 28 the following.

Beyond that I have to agree it has quite a kick to it, I would put it on par with a full sized .40 pistol kick wise.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In any case, is there a remedy to what is ailing me?

THANKS!
Yes, find a ppk in .32. The 380 is the max power round for the ppk, and it is not a pleasure to shoot, but the .32 are much easier on you and usually quite accurate.

There is another solution, find a good smith and have them round all the edges, especially on the hammer and bottom slide, but also the trigger guard and back tang. The old interarms PPK's have pretty sharp edges. Since it is stainless, you could do this yourself if you have the proper tools.

Edit: didn't read you have the ppk/s, also rounding the edges on the back and front strap would greatly improve comfort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts