Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I have an older german made 9MM P99 (date code KI) that came from Earls. It has the original "Split Trigger" safety.
S&W just replaced the sear block (for free, they even paid shipping!) because the trigger was sticking a little.
I have been thinking about getting one of the new P99's because the frames appear to have less of a drop at the heal of the slide? Mine rubs the top of my shooting hand and is a little uncomfortable.
I was just wondering what some opinions are about the new frame and if there was something wrong with the original split trigger design?
The trigger is a little long and stiff on double action but I don't think this has anything to do with the older trigger safety as most everyone seems to comment on the P99 trigger?
The pistol has always been 100% reliable (Earls polished the barrel) and I really like having one of the original models, but the new ones seem like they might fit my hand better.
Someone told me that I could file down the back of the frame, but I am afraid this may not look too good. Anyone else with this problem?
Im tempted to try modifying the stryker spring to ease the trigger pull and then file down the back of the frame and then I would have the pistol just the way I want it, however, if the new models are just as good as the older ones I may be better off just getting one.
Any comments?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm wondering about the "Split Trigger" issue, what is it, I did a search and didn't come up with any meaningful specifics. Here is mine, as you can see, the trigger is abit forward, and I wish it was like yours, where it stays right on top of trigger guard hump, it would make the reach more comfortable. Is there a way to modify this?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Personally rob319, I wouldnt screw with the frame, thats the one part you cant replace. The newer ones as you stated, dont have that much of a drop. You would be better served to get the newer model and sell the older one to help pay for it. Make the point of it being one of the originals and it might bring more, it looks like it's in great shape and should bring a premium... There are some of us that actually prefer the original design...

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I was glad to find this forum as there are certainly not as many up to date wesites for the P99 as there are for the old 1911

The night sights did not come from the factory, and I have since removed them and reinstalled the factory 3 dots because the NS were the older "first generation" type and the factory 3 dots are really nice in my opinion. Although I would like to get a new set of NS and give them a try.
I wish I knew more about the original split trigger design. I just figured it out when I took the pistol to the range for the first time in ages and noticed the trigger got a little sticky on the release in double action mode and I started searching the internet for solutions. I contacted Earls and they said they could do a trigger job for $85 and/or replace the trigger with a "second generation" one for $95.
I have been trying to determine if the newer trigger design is more comfortable or provides any benefit over the original one. The original "pivots" and unlocks from the frame as an additional safety, simular to glock. I "think" it may also be a little beneficial when it pivots in rotating the bottom of the trigger a little further away from the trigger guard.
I sent S&W an e-mail about the trigger and they just told me to send it in and they would check it out. I halfway expected them to want to replace the trigger (and charge me), however, I just got it back today via FedEx and it still had the original trigger and a work order saying that they replaced the sear block. The trigger works better than ever now, but still awfully long for that first shot (although, this is the intented design of the AS trigger I suppose)
I dont know of anyway to set back the trigger. Mine is positioned fine for reach, although my fat finger rubs against the trigger guard hump a little.
I think I will go check out the new frame design and see how it fits. Is it true that Walther is phasing out the SA/DA design in favor of just the QA?
I also noticed that Walthers website lists magazine capacity as 15 rounds instead of the 16 rounders that I got. I wonder why they reduced it?
Thanks for the worm welcome.
Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks for the info. as for the magazine rounds, all current standard capacity mag are 15rd. This is because they discovered that loading 16th round is very difficult due to spring and also it can split the plastic mag plate.

I also find the hook in the rear of receiver to be odd. Does it actually serve a purpose? I suppose it can make your grip better, but your hand would have to be right on for it not to rub into the thumb base.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts