Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where an original (or for that matter reproduction) brown finger rest can be found? I found one a while back and discovered it was probably an original as no one knows of anyone making a reproduction. Anyway, are there any out there?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I was able to purchase a mag with one back in the 80’s. I haven’t purchased any since they are expensive and/or very hard to find.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don’t know if you can buy a finger rest and graft it onto an existing magazine?

But original factory magazines with brown finger rests are available from Earl:

Walther PP PPK PPK/S

I would imagine they are widely available from other sellers too?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I don’t know if you can buy a finger rest and graft it onto an existing magazine?
No need to “graft” it on, the base plates are easily removable, so you can swap a finger-rest plate for a flat plate all day long. Incidentally, this should be a routine operation for everybody because cleaning magazines requires removal of the base plate to access the spring and follower, as well as interior walls of the magazine body.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Cliff', how about painting a black finger rest?
Moon

Reactions: MGMike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yikes!

Earls pricelist shows $69 for 9mmK and $99 for 7.65mm postwar mags with brown extensions. I can only assume that the Nazi memorabilia collector thing is what is driving the high price on the website above?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113682434492

Here is a PP magazine with a brown finger rest (a bit scruffy) on eBay. Perhaps you could buy it, swap baseplates, then sell it?

By the same token, you could buy one of Earl’s magazines and do the same thing....

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Earl’s prices are really high ... but on the other hand he has “the stuff” and no more of it is being made.

I’ve bought a couple of items from him with 100% satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Does anyone know where an original (or for that matter reproduction) brown finger rest can be found?
I should have asked this before I posted earlier but are you looking for a pre-1945 finger rest or post war ? That's going to make a big difference in price.

I can only assume that the Nazi memorabilia collector thing is what is driving the high price on the website?
Not entirely. If a pistol of any era becomes separated from its original magazine its nice to find a replacement of the same vintage.

Here are a pair of PPK magazines with the brown finger rest. The one on the left is post war. The one on the right is early or pre-WWII. As you can see both their color and shape is slightly different.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. guys. The cheapest I had seen one on an original magazine was $300.00 and the finger rest was cracked. So actually $69.00 doesn't seen that bad a price.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Give Fusion 48 hours to be stone dry, and cleaners/oils shouldn't bother it.
Just how right does it have to be?

Moon

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never heard of fusion. Paint? Anyway, I would rather keep things original whenever possible. (Reproductions are ok if that is the only option out there) I have always wondered why no one has ever produced a reproduction.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Never heard of fusion. Paint? Anyway, I would rather keep things original whenever possible. (Reproductions are ok if that is the only option out there) I have always wondered why no one has ever produced a reproduction.
Krylon "Fusion" paint bonds directly to plastics. No primer needed.

When magazines start costing more than $100 --let alone $300--I for one am easily able to get over any anal fixation on the originality of a pinkie rest.

M

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you can buy a brown base any any reasonable price - do it. That's what I did a few years back. I sure wish I could remember the source , but I cannot. It took a bit of fitting - but it was worth it. Judge for yourself.

The paint option is very unappealing to me.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts