·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I just got my PDP and can't wait to try it out this weekend
So I noticed that I have a free optic plate that I can get from Walther
I definitely want to add an optic on this pistol but not sure which one
What do you all suggest on good all around red dot?
Just trying to figure out on what brand/model plate adapter I need to get
I would really like to get something small/compact and easy to use
Thank you

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wish I could afford the RMR. Im going with the DPP. Looks cool and its an American company.

Not to hijack your thread but does anyone know if i'll have to order taller sights as well? Ive never owned a pistol with an optic set up!

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Holosun is right up there with RMR from my research. I just ordered a Holosun 509T. I usually go with “the best” or something very solid from the start...and I think the 509t should fit the bill.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Holosun is right up there with RMR from my research. I just ordered a Holosun 509T. I usually go with “the best” or something very solid from the start...and I think the 509t should fit the bill.
Yup they're very nice! I just try to support American companies when I can. Personal preference.
Do you have to order higher sights?

·
Registered
10 Posts
RMR/Holosun 507/508/509t/ Aimpoint acro are pretty much the gold standard right now in terms of pistol optics. The Delta point pro has inferior durability, battery life, and brightness adjustment features when compared against the optics above.
The Vortex, Swampfox, Sig and Burris offerings are all sights that are decent for range use but if you are going to carry the gun and use it seriously, they are not sights I would put on the gun.
If this is your first time with a RDS handgun I implore you to look up SageDynamics on Youtube and go through his plethora of content relating to correct usage of the RDS system as well has his durability testing of all the optics I've listed above.

·
Registered
100 Posts
RMR/Holosun 507/508/509t/ Aimpoint acro are pretty much the gold standard right now in terms of pistol optics. The Delta point pro has inferior durability, battery life, and brightness adjustment features when compared against the optics above.
The Vortex, Swampfox, Sig and Burris offerings are all sights that are decent for range use but if you are going to carry the gun and use it seriously, they are not sights I would put on the gun.
If this is your first time with a RDS handgun I implore you to look up SageDynamics on Youtube and go through his plethora of content relating to correct usage of the RDS system as well has his durability testing of all the optics I've listed above.
I thought the new DPP was made more durable?
The use of mine is mainly a nightstand/range gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have four Vortex Venoms mounted on various guns although none are Walthers. For me easy decision going with Vortex products: lifetime warranty no matter who owns the optics, no questions asked. That said Vortex Venoms have been trouble free, replace the batteries once a year whether need or not and each of these guns/optics have over 6,000 rounds and never had an optic hiccup.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have four Vortex Venoms mounted on various guns although none are Walthers. For me easy decision going with Vortex products: lifetime warranty no matter who owns the optics, no questions asked. That said Vortex Venoms have been trouble free, replace the batteries once a year whether need or not and each of these guns/optics have over 6,000 rounds and never had an optic hiccup.
Just sayin'
What model? I see they have the viper and the venom

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks
I'm going to look at the Holosun

Pcar 157
I also have a vortex venom
I like it and might think about getting another one

·
Registered
54 Posts
Perhaps due to my ignorance but I don't know of another optic manufacturer other than Vortex who has a lifetime guarantee warranty, no questions asked and no matter who owns the optic. Okay so you drop it and the glass breaks, send it back to Vortex and get another no charge.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
100 Posts
Perhaps due to my ignorance but I don't know of another optic manufacturer other than Vortex who has a lifetime guarantee warranty, no questions asked and no matter who owns the optic. Okay so you drop it and the glass breaks, send it back to Vortex and get another no charge.
Just sayin'
did you need to get taller sights as well? Incase the optic craps out id like a backup

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use a red dot for shooting at distance for accuracy. I typically start at 10 yards and work my way up to 25 yds when shooting indoors. Outdoor range I work my way up to 50 yards. I try to continually push my capability at distance and find it works to my advantage at shorter distances for 2" or less accuracy.
In the case of a red dot failure (which I have not had in over 6,000 rounds with several guns) I do not believe I need co-witness sights to hit a target threat inside 15 yards with some degree of accuracy, say an upper body shot within a 6 -8" circle. I have worked with an instructor where we turned the red dot off and practiced using the standard BUIS and I can readily stay within that 6 - 8" circle on a typical upper body shot. Of course the closer in the more accurate.
My goal in the case of a threat is at the very least make an impact in that 6 -8" area to negate the threat as much as possible; I'm not trying for a one shot kill, just stopping power, however many shots that may be.
But this is for me. Everyone needs to make their own judgement as to how they view their comfort and safety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought the new DPP was made more durable?
The use of mine is mainly a nightstand/range gun.
Still breaks when you drop it, that is not good enough for me. Its also a freakishly large optic and requires a very tall set of suppressor height sights. Good for competition, not much else in my book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks
I'm going to look at the Holosun
For my money, you can't go wrong with the Holosun line--507C or 509T for the PDP. I think that line is the best bang for your buck in red dot sights available today. Quality up there with the $600+ crowd at a very affordable price. Also, C & H Precision Weapons makes an adaptor for the 507kx2, which is the micro red dot being used in the Sig P365-size micro compacts--This item is a few dollars cheaper than the 507C and about $100+ cheaper than the 509T.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For my money, you can't go wrong with the Holosun line--507C or 509T for the PDP. I think that line is the best bang for your buck in red dot sights available today. Quality up there with the $600+ crowd at a very affordable price. Also, C & H Precision Weapons makes an adaptor for the 507kx2, which is the micro red dot being used in the Sig P365-size micro compacts--This item is a few dollars cheaper than the 507C and about $100+ cheaper than the 509T.
By the time you do the plate etc and the 509T you're in the ball park of the RMR. I bought an RMR for $500 shipped, the 509T with the adaptor is like $440? For $60 ill go with the American company

·
Registered
100 Posts
Still breaks when you drop it, that is not good enough for me. Its also a freakishly large optic and requires a very tall set of suppressor height sights. Good for competition, not much else in my book.
Don't you need taller sights to co-witness any optic? (Im totally new to red dots)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took delivery of my new Walther PDP Compact yesterday. I've submitted my request to Walther for an optics plate to mount a Holosun 507C X2. I chose the Holosun because I have a 510C GR optic on an AR that has worked perfectly. The 507C X2 should perform just as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't you need taller sights to co-witness any optic? (Im totally new to red dots)
you do, most optics cowitness with standard suppressor height sights, the DPP requires EVEN taller sights then normal suppressor height most of the time because of how tall the optic body is and how shallow most slide cuts are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you do, most optics cowitness with standard suppressor height sights, the DPP requires EVEN taller sights then normal suppressor height most of the time because of how tall the optic body is and how shallow most slide cuts are.
What does something like the RMR or 507/509 require as far as sight height!?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts