Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. First post and I hope I’m not breaking any rules by asking this. Hoping to get some opinions. I’m fortunate enough to have several TPHs of various types and finishes. I am contemplating thinning the herd and two I’m considering parting with are as follows and would like your thoughts on which of these to keep:

TPH - .25 acp stainless, Interarms production. Has box but not serialized, manual but no target. Finish is exceptional.

TPH - .22lr blued, W. German made, original serialized box, manual but unfortunately it included a target to another TPH. (I should post the target to see if it is a match to someone else’s TPH). I would rate the finish on this at 97-98%.

I have not fired either as I bought them as another investment option to supplement my kiddo’s 529 plan for college. (I know it may only cover books for a semester by the time they go!)

The firearms market has clearly gone crazy with pricing on so many things and no idea how long or high (or lower) it might go, so wanted to see what others thoughts are on if I were to sell one of these and keep the other.

I have a blued Interarms .22lr that is about 90% and I love shooting it and don’t mind doing so bc it’s far from perfect cosmetically.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I’ve got more than a dozen of these little critters. They are fun.

I’ve been watching GB for years.

IMO the Gadsen .25 should realistically sell in the 7-9 range.

The German.22 should sell in 9-13 range.

Couple of pics of some of my engraved ones

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve got more than a dozen of these little critters. They are fun.

I’ve been watching GB for years.

IMO the Gadsen .25 should realistically sell in the 7-9 range.

The German.22 should sell in 9-13 range.

Couple of pics of some of my engraved ones

Thanks for your input Pilkguns. Extraordinary engraving on yours. The detail, wow!!

·
Super Moderator
7,445 Posts
Pilk', is that the Chinese copy with the lizard engraving? Nice work as always.
Moon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still hoping some others may chime in on which would you keep and which you might sell. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,445 Posts
Fangio (nice nom-de-net!), barring a real financial situation, keep both. The Interarms .25 is a rare bird, and the German .22 has a rep for being better than the domestic version.
Moon

·
Registered
632 Posts
Still hoping some others may chime in on which would you keep and which you might sell. Thanks!
Each is unique in it's own right from a collectable standpoint. But I really don't think there are many collectors of TPHs compared to other collectable guns like P38s or PP guns. Most folks that I am aware of have 2 or three, not so much collecting variations, but acquiring what easily comes into their purchasing arena. I guess there are six major variations, 2 calibers of the blued steel American ones, 2 calibers of the stainless American ones, and two calibers of the black anodized German ones. Of course there are some production changes, but those basically arent recognizable without dissassembly. Then you've got some slide marking variations, the Tuxedo guns, the factory engraved ones, and the 25h Anniversary ones, but I honestly don't know anyone that is actively trying to collect any portion of that. Just a few random folks like myself that purchase whatever they can when they think it's reasonable.

If you want to carry one, then it;s a crap shoot. The .25 has more lethality than the .22 but the stainless is heavier in the pocket. Either caliber could or could not be reliable regardless of where they orginated from, but in general the Germans have a better reputation.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Tuxedo guns

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fangio (nice nom-de-net!), barring a real financial situation, keep both. The Interarms .25 is a rare bird, and the German .22 has a rep for being better than the domestic version.
Moon
Moon
Much appreciated Halfmoon. I love old race cars and drivers as well! As for the TPHs, I’m in no hurry. So they may stay in the safe for years. I’ve just contemplated selling some items because the market has gone crazy, be it due to panic buying, new gun owners, speculators, etc. It seemed to start with modern firearm selling for well above msrp, then many that were modern but recently discontinued well selling for insane prices. Some items which I would see as collector pieces have been harder to predict. Some have gone up, some have been flat. I know it sounds crazy, but my imperfect blued Interarms .22 shoots so well, it has kept me from trying the others, but the .25 keeps trying to tempt me to take it to the range. For now though, in the safe they will stay. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Each is unique in it's own right from a collectable standpoint. But I really don't think there are many collectors of TPHs compared to other collectable guns like P38s or PP guns. Most folks that I am aware of have 2 or three, not so much collecting variations, but acquiring what easily comes into their purchasing arena. I guess there are six major variations, 2 calibers of the blued steel American ones, 2 calibers of the stainless American ones, and two calibers of the black anodized German ones. Of course there are some production changes, but those basically arent recognizable without dissassembly. Then you've got some slide marking variations, the Tuxedo guns, the factory engraved ones, and the 25h Anniversary ones, but I honestly don't know anyone that is actively trying to collect any portion of that. Just a few random folks like myself that purchase whatever they can when they think it's reasonable.

If you want to carry one, then it;s a crap shoot. The .25 has more lethality than the .22 but the stainless is heavier in the pocket. Either caliber could or could not be reliable regardless of where they orginated from, but in general the Germans have a better reputation.
Thanks for the input Pilkguns. I have four of the variations. A blued Interarms 22 (only one I’ve shot and have gotten lucky it’s reliable), a stainless Interarms 22, a stainless Interarms 25, and a blued German 22. It’s crazy what people will pay here in the US if they can get a hold of a German made TPH in 25. I recently found a place in Austria selling them for approximately 350 - 400 dollars US, and they are in the box with papers and unfired. They had six of them. It’s amazing how the human psyche works. If we can’t have something, we will pay so much more if somehow one does come along.
If the TPHs don’t end up having the collectibility of some of the others, then maybe one day I’ll sell some of the West German made PPK and PPK-L that I have. Those would just be harder to part with. While not the beautifully engraved pieces you have, the wonderfully deep bluing and pride of ownership still puts a smile on my face when I look at them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Cocojo. They are definitely jewel like in their manufacturing, look and feel. I have not fired my .25 but want to. It has been fired by original owner, had two original magazines and I picked up another sealed in the packaging (crazy that .25 mags are inexpensive yet .22 are so high). Since it is pristine it has stayed in its box, which it certainly was not intended for. It’s a double edged sword as it’s meant to be enjoyed but at the same time I still hope for continued uptick in value.

·
Super Moderator
7,445 Posts
Fangio, yes, the market is nuts right now, but I'm skeptical that you could get a big windfall on a pocket gun, when for practical purposes people could have a .380 of equal size, likely greater reliability, and much cheaper.
But, as Pilk' can tell you, many here are charmed by the little buggers; a 2/3 scale PPK, and a just beautiful piece of machinery.
Shoot that .25; it doesn't necessitate mag dumps or tactical reloads, but an occasional trip to the range won't hurt.
A twice told tale here, but a guy on the Colt forum had an in-the-factory-wrapper Python, and wondered if he should even/ever unwrap it, let alone have it in the same room with a live cartridge. :(
Moon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fangio, yes, the market is nuts right now, but I'm skeptical that you could get a big windfall on a pocket gun, when for practical purposes people could have a .380 of equal size, likely greater reliability, and much cheaper.
But, as Pilk' can tell you, many here are charmed by the little buggers; a 2/3 scale PPK, and a just beautiful piece of machinery.
Shoot that .25; it doesn't necessitate mag dumps or tactical reloads, but an occasional trip to the range won't hurt.
A twice told tale here, but a guy on the Colt forum had an in-the-factory-wrapper Python, and wondered if he should even/ever unwrap it, let alone have it in the same room with a live cartridge. :(
Moon
Thanks Moon. I know the TPH in either caliber would likely be last choice for any self defense scenario (that said I am well aware that they absolutely have the ability to save your skin if needed). The proliferation of smaller and cheaper polymer pistols in .380 and 9mm are certainly a better bet and much less expensive but from a collectivity standpoint, be it my own personal collection or those that I hope increase in value, I straddle those of which I take to the range and those that I just admire. I love the TPH’s for what they are, a smaller caliber similar version of the PPK. I think you have convinced me to take my .25 to the range on day. Maybe my vaccination gift! But let’s face it, I’m not getting any younger and at some point they will be sold off either by me or those that inherit them.
One a totally separate note, some time back I bought a well used, but well take care of with just the right patina, CZ 45 in .25 acp. It’s a 1947 production, DAO but very gem like in their build and design. It shoots lights out even with no sights. I love that little piece too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts