Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pot metal junk, or a cool little range toy? Found one at my lgs and am on the fence. $125 is a tempting price. Main worry is that it's made of a zinc aloy and if it cracks im kinda out of luck as Iver Johnson is long gone. Sounds like standard velocity is best to keep the gun from cracking, but then others say you have to use cci mini mag to get it to cycle. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Main worry is that it's made of a zinc aloy and if it cracks im kinda out of luck as Iver Johnson is long gone.
I think you may have answered the question yourself ...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Pay $100 more and either get a Bersa Thunder .22 which is all steel, or pay around $125-150 more for a Walther PPK/S .22 which is not in fact ZAMAK, Walther Germany clarified that it is constructed of a proprietary alloy which they claim is "much stronger than ZAMAK" and Walther USA no longer classifies it as "zinc diecast" at all on their website either, but haters continue to perpetuate this mistake because it makes it easier to justify their insipid elitist rhetoric.

Either way, it's worth it to pay more for the Bersa Thunder .22 or Walther PPK/S .22, because regardless of what snobs may insist about their supposed lack of quality, both of which tend to work and have a total of zero reported cases of their slides nor frames cracking, not even after withstanding the sort of catastrophic ammo failure which has sent many a P22 to the scrap yard.

Heck, even if you're dead set on getting a $125 .22 handgun, then get a Heritage Arms Rough Rider.

Reactions: mpgus

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I would offer $100 and walk away with that gun in my pocket any day. A nice and cool looking mouser for the cost of a decent lunch for 2 is always a good deal.

Just what I thought, offer $100, if the answer is no, walk. If yes, drop it in the safe, and forget about it.

I would be happy as a clam to drop that in my safe for a C note.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I purchased a Beretta 950 that the previous owner wanted 2 Bills. He needed the cash and I went home with a Beretta for $100. Be fair, karma is a *****! Just sayin'

·
Registered
75 Posts
IJ PT22

I like mine, I bought it because it resembles my TPH. Yes the frame and slide are made of zamac, which is a zinc alloy. It is not pot metal. Mine has a steel insert in the breech face. Being zamac the slide and frame are a little thicker than my TPH. If I found one local for $125 I would buy it. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I think it was a little under $200 with shipping and transfer. I did a search on GunBroker and found 11 sold with four from $130 to $150. Seven from $209 t0 285, thats before shipping and transfer. If you buy it I think you will like it, they are fun to shoot and accurate for their size. Dave

·
Registered
862 Posts
I purchased a Beretta 950 that the previous owner wanted 2 Bills. He needed the cash and I went home with a Beretta for $100. Be fair, karma is a *****! Just sayin'
That was a great buy! those 950's are nice. Good for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
MPGUS, what caliber is your 950? I still have a .22 short, and wouldn't mind another .25 if I run across one.
Yeah, for a C-note, how far wrong can you go? Some things aren't forever.

Moon

·
Registered
55 Posts
MPGUS, what caliber is your 950? I still have a .22 short, and wouldn't mind another .25 if I run across one.
Yeah, for a C-note, how far wrong can you go? Some things aren't forever.

Moon
Mine is the older Blued finish and not the mat black in 25 acp. I'd like to get one in 22lr but they're getting harder to find in nice condition.

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
Not any 950s in .22lr...
The .22s are shorts, and really nifty guns.
Moon

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The 21A Bobcat is the .22lr Beretta mouser that also comes in .25. It's my favorite of the bunch as I much prefer the single/double action. I've been looking for a deal on a Bobcat .25 and 950 .22s Minx to finish of the set. I also would like to find a nice Astra Cub in .22s. I love mousers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still on the fence. Thinking I might pass even for $100 at the moment. The zamak has me worried. Kinda on a mouse gun kick lately. Just bought a beretta 21a inox 22 and a black 25 in the last 5 weeks. Bought a Browning baby 25 a year ago. Been having a blast with the tiny 25 & 22 cal pistols, but don't want to make an impulsive buy and regret it later. Tomorrow is the decision day. If it's still there.

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
mp', don't hesitate to start that thread. Before the advent of the KelTec and Ruger mousers, the 950 was as good as it got. Always carried mine Condition 2.
Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... pay around $125-150 more for a Walther PPK/S .22 which is not in fact ZAMAK, Walther Germany clarified that it is constructed of a proprietary alloy which they claim is "much stronger than ZAMAK" and Walther USA no longer classifies it as "zinc diecast" at all on their website either, but haters continue to perpetuate this mistake because it makes it easier to justify their insipid elitist rhetoric.
If you keep on regurgitating the pablum Walther puts on its websites, sooner or later someone will start to believe you.

I'd much rather be thought an insipid elitist than an ignoramus who can't get his panties unwadded.

M

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seeing this gun brings back memories. I had one back in about 1984. Seemed like it functioned fine as I recall. Felt pretty bad though, as I sold to a guy at work. He said the trigger guard snapped with the first shot he fired out of it.
Ops!
I have an Erma RX22 that I bought at Cabelas for $160. I don't shoot it that often, but it's been a great gun for the money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts