Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I finally picked up a PPK in 32 ACP but it's a little er.. rough around the edges. It was made in the 1960's by Manurhin/Walther and shoots great, but needs some TLC. The frame is generally fine, the grips are good, but the slide is somewhat rusty on the outside and it looks like basically all the bluing is gone. Hot bluing is expensive and seems like a hard thing to DIY, so I was thinking of cold bluing it.

As a collector's item, it's rough enough that I don't think I could make it worth any less, so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those are too fun not to shoot, and when it's pitted like that there's not much collectable value. When I get a beater gun, I'll use steal wool (or REALLY fine sand paper) to clean it up. Be careful not to sand off the markings or mess up the serrations. I'll use a cold blue solution or Dicropan. How I use it is a bit different though. My process generally is:

Clean the part off with brake parts cleaner, bake the part in oven (not too hot), coat in Dicropan and thoroughly rub it in (while the part is still warm), then rinse off the part with hot water (scrubbing off all of the residue), and then use a light oil to displace the water (WD40). I may repeat this process depending on how deep of a blue I want. If it's not coming off completely smooth, you can use some fine steel wool to clean it up.

Disclaimer This is how I do it, and does not mean that you should necessarily use it on your firearm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was watching a video where a guy does that and that's exactly what I was thinking of trying on the slide. It seems easy enough.

[Edit:] It's in 32 ACP so shooting it isn't too bad. I'm definitely glad I didn't get the 380 version though, since I'm pretty sure I'd get tired of that really quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey everyone, so I finally picked up a PPK in 32 ACP but it's a little er.. rough around the edges. It was made in the 1960's by Manurhin/Walther and shoots great, but needs some TLC. The frame is generally fine, the grips are good, but the slide is somewhat rusty on the outside and it looks like basically all the bluing is gone. Hot bluing is expensive and seems like a hard thing to DIY, so I was thinking of cold bluing it.

As a collector's item, it's rough enough that I don't think I could make it worth any less, so what do you guys think?
View attachment 92621
I would send it to Loren Fogle of Fogle's Gunsmithing. He specializes in restoring blued finishes. He can make that piece look new again and his prices are decent. Turn around time is what it is. If he's busy, it takes longer. I would never cold blue any gun... Hot bluing is the only way to go. As far as collector value, any time you change anything, if will reduce the value. But, then, would you rather have it look like a really used gun or lose a couple of bucks, especially if you cold blue it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with Mike. Too much prep work for a do-it-yourself cold blue and cold blue looks pretty bad, IMO. Bluing is a not something you can successfully do at home. Lots of prep work. I'd also bite the bullet and get it professionally done or leave it as is and shoot it. A pro job like the one Mike suggests wouldn't increase the collector, but would increase face value, at least for me.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Brass wool does a lot to prevent loss of important markings, I was just on another post about gun values. Only worth what you think it’s worth to you... aside from some rarities or heirlooms, mass produced models that still have a foothold in common trade are relative in value. Machines, in essence.
Shooters like this bring a smile to my face for the fact that you can restore it to its former glory and still shoot the rifling right out of it and no guilt is to be had anywhere!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is a lot of character there. If you don't have much invested in it IMHO get it professionally re-blued

·
Registered
675 Posts
You own it so make it look the way you want. I’d care less if by improving the guns’s look increased or decreased the resale value.

I have a S&W PPK in .380 and yes it has a strong recoil spring and it can be a bear to shoot depending on your hand strength, and ammo used. I found a little trick to make shooting the PPK nicer to shoot. I first shoot my Ruger LCP2 in .380 for a while, then switch to the PPK. Makes it feel like I’m shooting a 22...

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I'd just shoot it, a lot. If I wanted a pristine one....I'd pony up a few bucks and purchase one. Gonna spend a lot of money on the refurb....and then what do you have...a fairly common shiny refurb. My 2 cents. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Hot bluing is expensive and seems like a hard thing to DIY, so I was thinking of cold bluing it.
I can't recommend cold bluing. I once tried it on a revolver, which I would have disposed of in case of a total failure. I had a lot of work and the result was quite humble. Basically, it was nothing but expenses.

If I were you, I would find out about the costs of a proper bluing. I don't think it's that expensive.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'd just shoot it, a lot. If I wanted a pristine one....I'd pony up a few bucks and purchase one. Gonna spend a lot of money on the refurb....and then what do you have...a fairly common shiny refurb. My 2 cents. 1917
Depends on what is considered to be a lot of money. Sometimes local Plating shops will add it to a "batch" of things that are getting blued or oxidized for just the fee of adding it to the lot. If you have them do it custom and separately, then yes, you could end up eating some costs for it. Cerakoting came up on another thread, but the PP line has too many really tight toleranced and close proximity internals, the Cerakote might gunk up the works. Hope you find what works best for you. Good looking shooters ALWAYS beat not so great looking shooters.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Wow that guy is really reasonable. I had it in my head that it would be considerably more than that. I will have to keep this on hand if I need refinishing.

Thanks for that, might be worth a sticky....

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Almost nothing like word of mouth advertising. My gunsmith back up near my parents did a few odd jobs for me that were just outside of my purview, and he is the same way, extremely professional, highly recommended by me. He is a bit close to retirement, whether or not he is still taking work, I don't know. I just wish kids these days had a gumption to do skilled trades more often than not. If he were to train some kid to learn and make his own way, the art would not die.

Maybe after I get a bigger house with a bigger garage, I put a mill and lathe and grinder or something in the shed and do more of my own work. I drafted up all the prints for parts I'd need to make my own precision rifle monopods, and I might reach out to him to see if he will do it. Or maybe if I can get to one of those contract shops over in the Peoples' Republik of New Jerzistan to mill something off and drill a few holes. Maybe.....

·
Registered
58 Posts

View attachment 92621
Love it wouldn't change a thing.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
Tho' it's apparently shooting okay, I'll ask anyway...how is the bore?
Restore it, or leave it alone, it's a .32. That alone makes it desirable.
Moon

Reactions: Balogh
1 - 20 of 25 Posts