Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a GSP Expert and was wondering if I could get some feedback from you all on your experiences with this type of pistol.
I was trying to decide between the Walther GSP Expert and the Hammerli SP20. It took a while, but I finally decided to go with the Walther because of it's modular design. I thought the Walther was an engineering marvel.
Any comments on its durability, accuracy and overall function would be greatly appreciated. I guess I could be waiting for up to 30 days to get one from Champions Choice and any comments could help me pass the time until it finally arrives.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Steven

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have one and have been shooting it in the NRA indoor .22 cal matches. I don't shoot well as the gun is capable of shooting. If benched the firearm shoots one hole. You can too if you can hold it without it swinging. I have shot my high score with it and have adjusted the trigger to where I need it and hope to improve my high score next season. I shot 291/300. I have friends that use this weapon and they are shooting 298/300. The pistol is a great design and a great pistol. I have shot others such as Hi-Standard, Pardini, S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc. The GSP is the best pistol I have ever owned and now if I can shoot it to it's capability I would be even happier.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
How about posting a photo or two? We never see them here, and you are right: It's one of the great Walther designs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would love to post pics but I don't know how to do it on this sight. I can't even do my avatar. It is frustrating when this kind of stuff becomes complicated. i have two of these pistols and man are they awesome guns. i would say it is one of the finest made and unique guns I have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You'll love the GSP. I'm a pistol buff; especially 22's and have a bunch of them. Have been shooting them for 50+ years. I hunted pigs with a Colt Woodsman as a kid & killed @ 50 before people convinced me that wasn't enough gun :).
I bought a GSP last year used (made in 87) thinking to get into Bullseye pistol shooting. I liked it so much I bought another one: newer (2004) with the 2 stage trigger. I also bought a 32 barrel for it. I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I have heard that they are very accurate, but not very forgiving of lapses in technique. I've found that to be slightly true, but not bad. Instead of a 7 on a jerked/rushed shot, you might shoot a 5 or 6 with the GSP, but you'll also shoot more 10's :). I'm really liking the 32 barrel, and shot my first ever centerfire match with it, last week, besting my previous best score with the 22 (869/900 27X) open sights. I think the way they balance allows you to recover better and that's probably part of the unforgiving as well.
I shoot them more than all my other pistols now. Incredibly well designed & made. & the interchangeability of accessories, triggers, barrels, sights etc is a big plus. I've had one malfunction (feed) that I think was excess wax on the bullet. A few misfires that were well hit, so it's not the gun.
You won't be sorry.
Greg

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just purchased my second GSP and it is great. I have never had a feeding problem nor have had any other issues with the pistol. My first GSP I shot it for two years w/o any issues. I liked it so much that I purchased a new one and my friends on my team want to buy the old one and I keep declining. The unique thing with the GSP is that the trigger is adjustable. It takes a bit of time to tune it into where you want it to be but once its there, man you have a weapon that is beyond imagination. I have mine tuned that the two stage almost feels like one. Crisp and sweet. Love this pistol. I don't think there ever will be anything to compete with this one. Every once in a lifetime something is created and no matter how hard people try they can't beat the design or alter function to create something better. No matter how hard they try it just doesn't work. This is one of those things. considering this pistol has been produced since the 1960's and is still being made with minor changes not necessary better but lets just say it is but the foundation is still the same. It really is a great pistol. Best ammo to use is RWS which is probably what it was designed to shoot. Standard velocity of course. Do not use HI- Power ammo you may damage your pistol unless you change the recoil spring to make the change. My buddy was using Hi-power ammo and broke his charging handle. I use standard vel. ammo CCI and RWS pistol works fine and very very accurate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My first pistol is dated 1989 and the new one is a 2010. I will post some picks soon as I take them and down load the photo program that was provided above. If anyone out there is a fan of 22 cal pistols and likes top quality pistols you should really take a look and feel for this pistol. If you know anyone who may have one ask to shoot one. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. The two stage trigger takes a little getting used to but one you get the hang of it am is it a nice pistol. I own many handguns and have had many handguns. This is the finest I have owned. Including all the Walthers and HK's etc. that I have and have owned. In my armory I have somewhere in the vicinity of 80 pistols. I have tried a great deal and sold a great deal. I will never sell my GSP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My earlier one has a single stage trigger that is nice. I use it to practice for my muzzle loading pistol matches. I use the 2 stage trigger (on the newer one) in bullseye shooting, and as he says, it takes a little getting used to. But it makes it easier to control the trigger... As I tell my youth marksmanship team kids, He who controls the trigger, controls the universe. :)
A poster on another group wrote that he had inherited a GSP that he used for "plinking". Someone said using a GSP for plinking, is like taking a formula one car for groceries :).
Greg

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can take an amateur and hand him a $5 gun then after hand him $2000 gun he is still an amateur shooter who doesn't know any better. But then you take the shooter and school him in finer marksmanship and enlighten him on finer handguns for shooting now you have a better shooter who has ambition to reach the stars. Patience is the key.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
They may well be the finest-shooting .22 caliber pistols ever made, but whether they are the best-looking is a matter if much debate, even in Walther circles. Personally, I'd rather look at a PP or PPK model any day. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
They may well be the finest-shooting .22 caliber pistols ever made, but whether they are the best-looking is a matter if much debate, even in Walther circles. Personally, I'd rather look at a PP or PPK model any day. :)
Fair enough, let us just say there cool looking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My GSP was made in 1984 and shoot it every week in .22 bullseye not one alibi in years of shooting it, i use CCI standard velocity. I now am thinking of purchasing a new expert from Earls but still gonna keep the old one. can't beat a GSP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought the new GSP expert from Earl and love it recoil is less than my old GSP.I put a Ultra dot match dot 2 love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts