Walther Forums banner

If you had a CCW permit, but could only own 1 handgun which would it be?

• P99 (Full Size)

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • P99c (Compact)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 13.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gee, thats a tough one, I'm way more accurate with My Kimber but i might choose my P99 cuz its, lighter, holds 2 times as many shots, and thats what I carry EVERY day!:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the resopnse. Even though it may not change my intentions, I would like to know what people choose if they say "other."

Thank you to everyone that answers my poll and helps me decide which will be my only handgun for a while.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
So here I am in a county in Kalifornia that all-but-denies the right-to-carry. Even if I could get a permit I am limited to ten rounds in whatever gun of any type for any purpose that I buy. I like to have the maximum capacity of the highest caliber ammo I can get. My Springfield M1911-A1 can hold up to ten rounds with the extended magazines and one in the pipe. That?s fine for the nightstand or under the desk at work but not for any kind of concealed carry (except, maybe, under a trench coat). I understand the SW99 .45 holds nine-plus-one so that would be a good trade-off. If I could find one (before it drops off the state approval list next April) that would probably be the choice. Otherwise I might get a P99 in 40S&W (P99c holds only eight-plus-one rounds).
I?ll hold off voting for the moment. I want to read what more of the experienced handlers have to say.

Russell

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel for you Parabellus, I am currently living in The Peoples Republic of Illinois, which DOES deny the right to carry and in some cities the right to even own. Thankfully I am moving soon:D Hopefully to Montana were it is even legal to carry without a permit outside of city limits. But don't you worry all those Califonia firearm restrictions are keeping you safe.:confused:

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Right now I am very fond of my Colt 1911. I have never had a problem concealing a Colt 1911. It is easier to conceal than most other handguns.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am truly blessed. I live in the great state of Tennessee where it seems everyone you talk to over the age of 21 has a carry permit, myself included. My "one gun" choice just recently changed. Until last month I would have answered PPK .380 because it is so small and easy to pack I never left home without it, and in my opinion that fact trumps small caliber every time. In Sept. a P99C came home to live with me, and it is without a doubt the most accurate pistol I've ever fired. Not only that, but it's nearly PPK size and is a few ounces lighter... WIN WIN! Only one handgun would still suck though!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I carry my P99c because it's the easiest gun to conceal. That being said - if I could only have ONE handgun, it would have to be the fullsize P99 - I suppose I'd figure out some way to carry the fullsize if I had too. The fullsize is the most accurate gun I've ever shot FOR ME.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I voted for the Fullsize because I think it would be a better all around pistol than the P99C.
Afterwork Ninja, I if you are ever in Bozeman, MT drop me a line and we can go shooting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You know, accuracy is a funny thing. The majority of gunners seem to think that the 1911 is the most accurate handgun ever devised by man. For me, the springfield loaded 1911 was responsible for an almost incurable flinch. Something about that crisp four pound trigger caused me to anticipate the break and in almost a year, I never got used to it. On the other hand, the P99C, for me is amazing. I love to shoot it in front of people because it makes me appear to be a much better shot than I really am. I don't know what it is about this gun... You on the other hand are better served with your fullsized P99 while I am merely average( I'm more accurate with any glock but the P99 feels sooo much better) Oh well, I guess that's why they make more than one gun. Just thinkin' out loud:confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I choose compact. I can put in a full sized clip, and as far as accuracy goes, either is accurate enough for the shots I am willing to take. The gun is accurate enough at 150ft, and I would not bother shooting at anything beyond that for fear for reallly not hiting the target. Plus it is more concealable then the full size; so there you have it.
wage

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wagemage. Great answer. I was wondering about that. If there is no real accuracy difference between the two you may as well have a shorter barrel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Compact... with the grip extension and a 16 round magazine, the only difference between that and the full size is 1/2" in barrel and sight length... BUT you can carry it much more discreetly than the full size by using the regular compact magazines. In other words, it's easier to add a full-cap mag to a compact than cut 1/2" off the barrel and 1" off the grip of a full size.

I've carried my full-size in .40, it's concealable, but if I had to choose one, it'd definitely be the compact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts