Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...a Umarex Walther .22. I tried not to be too much of a Walther snob (she was a nice gal and pretty in the bargain). The gun itself wasn't too hard to look at either, but the double action required a comealong; single action wasn't bad.
What is the consensus; will she receive decent service in a moderate amount of shooting, or should I counsel her to run away and trade it?
It ran okay during the course itself.
Moon

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The trigger pull will eventually smooth out to the point of being comparable to other PPK/S variants and should feed just about anything but subsonic ammo or extremely cheap bulk pack ammo with slow-burning powder.

Despite their similarities in material composition, the PPK/S .22 shares nothing in common with the infamous P22, which ought to be apparent when going on 4 years after its release not a single report of the various issues which plagued the P22 have surfaced in regards to the PPK/S .22, nor has any need for a "PPK/S .22 Bible" arisen.

Once you get past the "eeew" factor of it being constructed from ZAMAK/Aluminum Alloy and lesser cosmetic appeal of the PPK/S .22, take it to the range, and that trigger smooths out, there is no valid reason to dislike or distrust the firearm.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, Agent, I won't sweat the small stuff.
I thought you had referred to a slide fracture or some other disaster, and do I understand that the model has been discontinued?
Moon

·
Registered
182 Posts
The double action trigger pull on the Walther/Umarex .22LR is HEAVY (even by comparison to many other .22LR semi-autos, at 10-13 lbs.)--approx. 17.5 lbs (according to specs). As noted above, the pull should smooth out and reduce a bit with a lot of use...but it ain't never gonna' be anywhere near to '..light..'. It's just something that she will have to learn to adapt to. Single action trigger pull is rated at approx. 6.1 lbs....and with use will probably become a bit lower.

If your student is new to shooting sports and semi-auto pistols, this '..heavy..' DA trigger pull may very well be a good thing and an additional (perhaps even desireable) '..safety..' feature of the pistol.

If your student wants flawless performance from the pistol, she should try to use CCI MINI MAGS (40 gr.solid or 36 gr. Hollow point) ammo....unquestionably the best rimfire ammo for ANY .22LR semi-auto. REMINGTON GOLDEN BULLET (solid or hollow point) and AGUILLA SUPER EXTRA work almost as well. All of these ammos are '..high velocity..' (1200 FPS or higher). AVOID any of the FEDERAL 'bulk pack' .22LR (persistent failure-to eject problems).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Okay, Agent, I won't sweat the small stuff.
I thought you had referred to a slide fracture or some other disaster, and do I understand that the model has been discontinued?
To the best of my knowledge (and believe me, I searched thoroughly) there has yet to be so much as a single report of any slide fracture or any other disastrous issues regarding the PPK/S .22 since its release in 2013. In fact, in my search for issues, I have found reports which are quite encouraging regarding the PPK/S .22 surviving catastrophic ammo blowouts, so I can only conclude that Umarex learned from the failures of the P22 and thus made the PPK/S .22 more than tough enough to handle the wear and tear of frequent trips to the range.

Whether or not the PPK/S .22 will continue to withstand the test of time is unknown, but I think that if there were any immediate cause for concern then it would have become common knowledge by now due to widespread reports of any potential shortcomings of its design/construction.

The production of the PPK/S .22 has indeed been discontinued by Umarex/Walther Germany, but rumor has it that Walther Arms of Fort Smith Arkansas has already begun their own production of the PPK/S .22, with some claiming to have seen/handled display models at recent gun shows/conventions and that said production was of stainless steel construction like its .380 counterpart, but these sightings have yet to be confirmed and Walther Arms reps have yet to provide a clear answer when asked of their existence.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good evening,

Mr. Moon, I have two of them and I am very pleased. Yes, bulk box cheap ammo will make it a single shot but Remington Golden Bullet is 100% function. I do like the "silver" finish better than the blue/black. The function of both is equal.

Be well,
David

·
Registered
617 Posts
I too have one, and it is a pleasure to shoot. My first box of ammo was Federal white box and it was terrible. Switched to CCI, Golden Bullitt and so far so good. I still get an occasional issue but very rare. I have had three cases of .22 casing failures, one of which resulted in the gun having to go back to Walther for repair. They were great to work with. I have since bought the .380 but really prefer to fire the .22.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The only cases of '..catastrophic blowout..' that I've experienced have been while firing ARMSCOR Precision 36 gr. High Velocity Hollow Points. A friend's Walther/Umarex PPK/S suffered a single 'blowout' with the same ARMSCOR ammo, which blew-out the ejector hook and spring. My friend shipped his damaged PPK/S back to Walther, which repaired the damaged ejector and returned it within a week. In neither instance was the PPK/S slide itself damaged.

At first we thought that the 'blow-out' problem(s) was with the PPK/S pistols, rather than the ammo...until we also experienced similar blow-outs in two(2) different Sig Mosquitos and a Ruger SR22. The identical catastrophic 'blowout' problem...in five(5) different pistols...from three(3) different manufacturers sorta' proved that it was the ARMSCOR ammo.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have had mine since early 2013. The only problem has been the case suppurating from the rim of a Winchester white box of 325rds 1280, 36 gr JHP. It also turned all of my .22 pistols into single shots.

I have shot a brick of Winchester Wildcat with no problems. Winchester red plastic box 1300 40 gr JRP, Winchester subsonic, Different Federal's, American Eagle, Remington GB and TB, CCI MM, and Standard, the same no problems. However, I haven't tried any Aguila, S&B, GECO, or any of the Match Ammo like Eley, SK, and etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Had one about a year ago. Shot just as well as my Interarms and my pre war PP. Had few issues with any type of ammo - including federal bulk. Still have it? Nope with a real PPK/s who needs a clone

·
Registered
182 Posts
YUP....a few of the catastrophic blow-outs we experienced involved a complete '..sheering..' of the head/rim from the case (as shown in your photo)....with the case remaining in the chamber and the 'sheered' head/rim ejected out and back. Most involved partial 'sheering' of head/rim from case...with bits of shredded brass blowing out and back. Turns out that wearing proper eye protection is really good advice.

In all of the catastrophic blowouts that we experienced, it didn't appear that the thickness of the brass cases were any thinner/lighter than those of most other .22LR rimfire ammo (though we never put a gauge to the cases).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had a case blowout yesterday using Remington Thunderbolt 22. It blew out the extractor, spring, plunger everything. I was able to find most of the parts except the plunger. I might have to send mine back to walther for repair.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As you can see from my signature I own one of the 2013 PPK/S’s and have posted several times my likes and dislikes. To recap... It was my first pistol purchased, and have shot multiple thousand rounds through it. Once I committed to CCI MM’s and Remington GB’s the thing has done great (exception to follow) and is by far my most used and favorite pistol to shoot at the range. There are a few wear marks on the slide indicating a breakin period is needed.

The only negatives post breakin have occurred when a round would blow out the casing and the extractor would be blown out along with the spring, ball, plunger. The good news though is that Walther will repair it free of charge inclusive of shipping. This has happened twice but all is good at the moment. Not sure why they didn’t put a pin through the extractor to hold it in place but they didn’t.

I’d buy mine again.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
When those rim blowouts occur, the first thing to look for is a buildup of lead, wax, and fouling in the front edge of the chamber, where the rifling begins. It tends to cause short chambering of the cartridge, with the consequence that some of the sidewall next to the rim is exposed and unsupported. And that's where it blows.

Take a look at some of your brass fired immediately preceding the blowout. Does the rim show a "double chin"? If so, that's what happening.

Remove the slide and drop a loaded round into the chamber. It should enter freely, and the rim should seat fully against the rear face of the barrel.

To clean out the chamber, twirl a .25 cal bronze in the chamber section only.

M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts