1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my reluctant PPK/S-1 to the range yesterday. This was after the
gunsmith had replaced the recoil spring with one of lighter strength. I thought
he was nuts, but I loaded 200 rounds with 4 different combinations of bullets
and powder charges and brass, just to try it out.

I was NOT pleased with the results. I still got failures to go into battery with
all the loads. However the worst thing that happened is I had about one is 10
failures to fire! I had to hit the primers more than one time. It seemed to be
worse when trying to fire the gun in double action mode. Usually after it failed
to fire in double action I could cock the hammer with my thumb and it would
fire in single action mode.

I see another thread where several people talk about having to replace the
hammer spring and recoil spring after 750 or 900 rounds. Excuse me?

I have a Star model PD I purchased new in 1976. I quit using it last year
because the recoil buffer wore out and I can't find a replacement. None of
the springs wore out. I calculated I had fired something like 20,000 rounds
through the little .45.

Now you are telling me these German designed guns so fragile that the
springs wear out after less than 1000 rounds?

I'm going to contact the gunsmith Monday. If he tells me he didn't do
anything to the hammer spring, that will be the last nail, so to speak.
If so, the gun will be on the market Tuesday! :mad:

I sure hope he tells me he did something to that hammer spring!

I have approximately 1400 rounds through this gun. Do these springs
really wear out that soon?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am sorry to hear your troubles. I am curious, is it a Smith & Wesson, Interarms, or German PPK/S? Spring life should be for thousands of rounds. Something is ailing your ppk/s, sometimes the problems are hard to find. I have an old 1967 PP that I have spent alot of time and money in new parts, and it still is only 99%. If you don't love it, I would sell it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to admit my opinion of S&W and Walther has taken a hit since getting my PPK. My hammer and recoil springs are shot after 1200 or so rds. My 3rd generation S&W digested 1000s without wearing out, as did my .38 airweight. My guess is that Smith is subbing out their springs and possibly some of the tooling on their Walthers. I'm hoping the springs from Wolff will last considerably longer.

Also, I did polish the ramp and chamber mouth to improve feeding. All of the fixed-barrel blowback autos I've owned benefitted greatly from a healthy dose of stainless polish, Sig and Beretta among them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My PPK/S-1 is a Smith & Wesson made stainless model.

I just has not been the gun I hoped it would be when I got it.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The original factory recoil springs in PP series pistols made by Manurhin, Walther and Interarms will outlast most folks' willingness to buy enough ammunition to wear them out. The originals have closed and ground coils at both ends.

Very late Interarms production omitted the rear spring seat counterbore on the barrel boss, presumably to eliminate a manufacturing step and reduce cost. Provided the rear spring coil is still closed and ground, it made little practical difference. However, S&W both omits the counterbore and leaves the spring unfinished, and apparently does not adequately control spring length or certain frame dimensions, as the last two I examined in a gunshop both could not be field-stripped without really undue force. It was clear that the spring was going solid before the slide had reached the limit of its travel, thereby transmitting the terminal impact to the spring itself, and probably leading to premature spring failure.

The very heavy double action pull is in part caused by improper fitting of the hammer strut against the hammer; gunsmiths who overlook this and rely instead on clipping the spring usually go too far and produce a tendency to misfire.

Handloads complicate matters. Unless one has first developed a baseline of known and predictable functionality with factory ammo, it's difficult to tell whether the gun is properly set up or not.

M

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is just my opinion here and I have no real data to back up any of it, but I think S&W is getting their Walther PPK/s springs (and grips) from the Shenzhou tractor works. After replacing my recoil spring, I replaced my hammer spring and there was a huge difference(no more missed primers). My trigger reset problems stemmed from a worn-out hammer block spring, (I think). I replaced all the springs that came with the Wolff rebuild kit, now to see how long they last.

It's a good thing these guns are little tack-drivers, or I'd be tempted to bail. As it is I really like my PPK, just shot an offhand group yesterday of 5 inches at 16 yards-all DA, with the new hammer spring. The groups get better in SA, and I'm hoping to give a buddy of mine a run for his money with his H&K P2000sk.
If you've got a S&W made, I strongly recommend replacing ALL the springs ASAP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out'a here!

OK, I've made my decision. I'm not going to waste any more time, energy or
money on this thing. It's for sale.

Anyone want a slightly used Stainless PPK/S-1?

I'll post it in the for sale section as soon as I can take some pictures to post
with the ad.

Thanks to all who responded to my posts.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
OK, I've made my decision. I'm not going to waste any more time, energy or
money on this thing. It's for sale.

Anyone want a slightly used Stainless PPK/S-1?

I'll post it in the for sale section as soon as I can take some pictures to post
with the ad.

Thanks to all who responded to my posts.
I'll selling my "like new" PPK/S-1 also...just as soon as I get it back from the factory repair shop. :(

Milspec

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I'll selling my "like new" PPK/S-1 also...just as soon as I get it back from the factory repair shop. :(

Milspec
I got my PPK/S-1 back from the S&W factory repair shop today. Actually, they didn't do a bad job. Even though I bought it used and it's over two years out of warranty they covered shipping both ways and didn't charge me a dime. Since everything's working like it's supposed to I think I'll keep it for awhile and see how it shoots.

Milspec

1 - 10 of 10 Posts