Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my CCW almost a month ago, and I've decided I want to pick up a P99 for my first gun. Now, the problem I'm having is narrowing down my choices of P99s. The only two things I'm dead set on are it being chambered in .40 S&W and having a titanium slide. I've heard there's certain caveats to both in that the .40 S&W is prone to cracking in the poly frame, and sensitive to reloads; and the titanium finish I've heard does not stand up well to the abuse of daily carry. These I'm willing to accept. Where I'm having a hard time is DA/SA vs. QA, as well as early vs. late style. The titanium slide really narrows down when and where I can purchase, as I'm sure everyone knows it's discontinued. I've been able to find an early style DA/SA, and a late style QA for sale. From what I've read off the forums, I think I'd prefer the DA/SA. I'm not certain though, as I've fired a couple of a friend's berettas and they were both DA/SA, and the SA pull was so different from the DA that I thought for a moment that the gun had malfunctioned. Then, the question is, aside from the mounting rails and the "ski hump", is there any significant difference in early vs. late style frames? Is one preferred over the other? And finally, if I were to go with one style trigger and/or frame over the other, and decide that I didn't like it, is it possible to convert the frame style and/or the trigger style? Seems like one could just swap the slide with any other P99, but is that legal? I apologize for my drawn out post, but I'm really anxious to pick one up, especially since the titanium finished versions seem to only be getting harder to find. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The registered part of the gun is the grip/frame. You could change the slide if you want. I believe that on the P99's the trigger type is all determined by the components within the slide (but I could be wrong as I am not a gunsmith). I do not think that a QA can easily converted to a AS trigger (or the reverse). You should see if one of the members in you local area has a P99 that you can shoot in the trigger configuration that you like the thought of the best. Planning to buy one type with the belief that it can be switched to the other if you do not like it is a poor plan.

I own both pre and post 2004 models and the guns seem the same mechanically. Yes the magazine release, trigger guard, light rail and external slide serrations are different.

There was recently a 40 cal Titanium first generation P99 in the classified section that was a good price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Other than the obvious differences in looks, I feel that the pre'04 frames are more comfortable. I own an '03 fullsize and an '06 compact. The old style frame seems to be more rounded in the area that comes back over your hand. The "beaver tail" area is more squared off and, forgive me, glock feeling on the new ones. If you raise your thumb as if you were flicking a 1911 safety, you can feel it. Also, the trigger reach seems slightly longer on the new frame. I use the mid-size backstrap on my old P99, but have to use the smallest backstrap on my new P99C to make the trigger reach feel the same on both guns. Maybe this is all because of the shorter grip of the compact... who knows?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a P99 in .40 with a Titanium slide and its a QA model as well. I use it as my daily carry gun. Every time i let a friend try it out, they fall in love and want one. I shoot alot with a Kimber 1911 and my P99. My Kimber is more acurate but it has a 5" barrel. Ive NEVER had a Failure with the P99 or Kimber but the P99 is just the right size for carry for me and it holds 12 rounds vs. 7 rounds in my Kimber. Just my .02.:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
No you can't mix and match the top half of one variety p99 with the bottom half of another. Your slide and receiver assembly need to be the same type.

I think an AS trigger is a shooters gun. If you like to shoot and put some practice in and use good techniques its great. If you shoot off the trigger reset I think it feels very natural. If you completely release the trigger after every shot than the QA might be less annoying. I think its better to learn to shoot the right way though ;)

Before the titanium model there was another 2 tone P99 called the QPQ. My understanding has been that the finish on the QPQ model has held up better over time than the titanium ones. Others here can correct me if I'm wrong. You might consider looking for one of those. Personally I'd say just get a black one and shoot it for a while. If 6 months from now you still like the gun and still want it to be 2 tone, send it off for chrome plating (cue shipwreck) :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after seeing some matte hard-chromed slides, I'm thinking I'll probably go that route. I (like many others) am not terribly thrilled with the "billboard" on the Ti finished models. That still leaves the old style vs. new style and QA vs. AS matters to sort out. Unfortunately, being in NY gun owners are hard to find, and the few I know don't have P99s or Glocks. Someone above mentioned "learn to shoot the right way". Would learning with a DA/SA trigger teach better shooting habits? Thanks for all the replies thus far, it's really helping a lot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You've gotten good advice so far. I believe Jimmythebrain was referring to my P99 Titanium for sale in the classifieds recently. The sale fell through but I've decided to keep the pistol for now as I cannot really think of a good reason to get rid of it, and experience has taught me that every time I've sold off one of my guns, I end up buying the same model later on to replace the one I sold. Anyway, mine is the AS model with the proprietary light rail. When I bought it locally, the titanium model was the only one they had and the only one they could find. I would have preferred an all black model as I think they look better. I bought the P99 it because it was and is the best feeling (and pointing) pistol I have ever held in my hand. For me, the Browning Hi-Power used to have that title, but no more. The AS model made more sense to me at the time because most of my other pistols were DA/SA, and the manual of arms was essentially the same. I carried my pistol on duty for about a year, but wanted a weapon mounted light and transitioned to Glocks. Had the current P99 rail been available then, I would not have made the switch. Since I may be switching back to DA/SA again for duty use, I may hang onto the Walther as a secondary pistol. Regards.

Russell420

·
Registered
115 Posts
For my money the AS beats the QA in every possible way, it's a great trigger. About the only way I could recommend a QA would be if you have spent a lot of time shooting revolvers and want a heavy trigger...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts