Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent 2 hours typing (with inserted pictures) a reply to my PPX dis-assembly post (the re-assembly part), and WatherForums says I need to click "back" to reload the page. Well that erased everything I just spent 2 hours typing.

Maybe a better idea (if you are going to take a while), it to type on a text editor, copy and paste to WaltherForums, and insert the pictures as an "edit"

Arrgh....

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
I think many here share your pain. If I have a long post to share I always use word or something similar and then post it here.

We all learn by experience...

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I've had this happen many times. It's infuriating, especially when I think I've written something brilliant. Then I reflect that maybe it wasn't, and God was telling me so.

Anyhow, here's two tips:

1) Immediately upon completing your first draft --and before changing anything--highlight everything and click "copy" to preserve it. Then if a subsequent keystroke deletes it or sends it to parts unknown, you can just click "paste" and restore it.

2) Sometimes, depending on what you did that unintentionally deleted your masterpiece, you can find it again by clicking a back symbol and scrolling fully down to where it might be hiding. Or (in Safari) pull down the "History" menu and find a link to it there.

M

·
Premium Member
13,489 Posts
Yep, life can be a 'beach' sometimes.......been there, done that. Copy and paste is your friend. Pretty much echoing what everyone has already said.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've also learned to copy and paste my longer posts. ColtForum has an auto-save feature that works pretty well. I'm surprised that not all of the Vertical Scope forums use it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It happens, and not just on this board.

If it's something long, I'll do it in Word and then copy paste it into the forum, when it's ready to go.

Otherwise, I select all and copy it so if it disappears I won't lose it.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Clicking to copy doesn't work for me.....because many times I'm off to get another photograph which of course needs to be copied to add to the post...which in turn deletes the previous copy.....so, I just post my entry and then edit my post as necessary to add stuff. Problem solved....1917

edit....perhaps I'm missing something here and perhaps have been for years.....but I don't see an option to save. All I see is copy/paste. If I am in Excel or Word then I can save. Of course I could copy to the dashboard....but, that all seems a bit tedious. So I just post and edit now. Using a Mac.

Yep, works quite well.....if you don't mind the "edited" below your posts. I got over that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had this happen many times. It's infuriating, especially when I think I've written something brilliant. Then I reflect that maybe it wasn't, and God was telling me so.

Anyhow, here's two tips:

1) Immediately upon completing your first draft --and before changing anything--highlight everything and click "copy" to preserve it. Then if a subsequent keystroke deletes it or sends it to parts unknown, you can just click "paste" and restore it.

2) Sometimes, depending on what you did that unintentionally deleted your masterpiece, you can find it again by clicking a back symbol and scrolling fully down to where it might be hiding. Or (in Safari) pull down the "History" menu and find a link to it there.

M
That is what I do....copy every so often to be on the safe side

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yep, works quite well.....if you don't mind the "edited" below your posts. I got over that.
Me too. Most of my posts are edited. I prefer that to random loss of data or having to use a text editor of some kind prior to posting. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I've lost many a manuscript to this exact same phenomenon. I've since learned to compose any "masterpieces" on Word or some other word processor that:
  • A) Periodically saves drafts of my masterpiece in case of power failure, computer meltdown, etc,
  • B) Offers spellchecking features so I don't come across as too dumb and
  • C) Has a built-in thesaurus and other grammatical assistance features so I come across as somewhat intelligent.
After I've written a lengthy piece or something I believe may be of value, I proof-read it before copying and pasting to the Forum for posting. This prevents losing my work due to automatic timeouts and accidental keystrokes and saves a copy on my machine in case something goes wrong.

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Too funny... I was writing a response to another thread a few minutes ago and this very event happened. I lost all of the work due to "accidental" keystrokes only this time, I have obtained photographic evidence of the culprit:

Of course, the whole "bad luck" thing about black cats is nonsense but if someone opens the wrapper to a cheese stick with P.K. Poutine within earshot (i.e. always), computer keyboards are nothing more than an access ramp to the treat he knows he'll soon score.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also, on a PC, you can 'right click' and do undo - sometimes this will bring back your info - if you have accidently hit a keystroke, highlighted all and then hit a keystroke, lord knows how I do it, but I seem to and I am on a computer all day.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I keep the Schnauzer crated when traveling, for her safety, and to keep her from stepping on the multicontrol knob between the seats of the Bimmer. She made it do something strange once.
But then my 92 year old mom has been known to do that as well...no feet, but her hands wander. :D
Moon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts