Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a Walther PPK bring back from WWII. It is all original with the brown grips and the brown finger rest. None cracked. It has the 90% safety and no loaded indicator. Just how old is this? And I have read that these are rare models. What might it be worth? (not for sale) Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have recently acquired a Walther PPK bring back from WWII. It is all original with the brown grips and the brown finger rest. None cracked. It has the 90% safety and no loaded indicator. Just how old is this? And I have read that these are rare models. What might it be worth? (not for sale) Thanks in advance for any information.
Can’t tell how old it is without knowing the serial number. With 90 degree safety it could be from early to mid 30s. Condition isnt that great what with slide wear. I see nothing indicating any rarity or collector interest.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read that all of the 90% ppk 's are rare with collector interest. Don't want to start an argument here, but that is what I have read more than once. I do know that however not all on the internet are experts. Nor am I. (I will not post serial numbers.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe what he is getting at is this is just an early ppk, there is collectibility in the fact that it is an early ppk. However, as far as rarity it does not have any features that would indicate it is rare, no waffenampts so not a war model. It’s a nice piece and if you got a deal on it a great starter piece, but nothing of true rarity. To which I would concur with his assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Early PPKs (90 degree safety and left to right screw grips) are desirable but not "rare". Thousands were made. Condition greatly impacts value and it is difficult to assess the condition based on a single photo. The possible rare feature of this PPK is the apparent indented side/solid bottom/tan (no mottling) finger extension. It is difficult to verify this feature with certainty based on one photograph.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have read that all of the 90% ppk 's are rare with collector interest. Don't want to start an argument here, but that is what I have read more than once. I do know that however not all on the internet are experts. Nor am I. (I will not post serial numbers.)
I’m not trying to start an argument either. You asked for opinions, but apparently you want opinions based on your premise that a 90 degree safety PPK is inherently rare. Your premise is not valid. Walther made hundreds of thousands of PPs and PPKs with only two variations of safeties. I would think perhaps 2/5 of them were 90 degree safety guns. So all of those guns are rare.?

Many variations of PPKs with the 90deg safety are rare/desirable: the early 700,000s,RZMs, Bank guns, early police marked and others. But the single characteristic of a 90 deg safety does not equal rarity. IMO as a researcher and collector.

If you do not care to share the serial number of your gun, perhaps you will provide a partial number, like the first four digits? That will provide enough information to give you an estimate of the production era. Also, does your pistol have any other markings on the other side of the pistol, like serial number on the slide, or stampings of some sort or grip strap markings.

Reactions: brunrox

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Your gun is certainly desirable. ALL WWII and post war Ulm PPKs are. No PPK fan would throw it out of the safe and anybody would be happy to have it.

A rare and super valuable collectors piece? Not so much. 90% condition? Not close. Value depends who's buying it and how fast the owner wants/needs cash. If you were to bring it into a shop they would try to get it for $300-$400 and might go to $500. If you have a private buyer that really want's a PPK $1K or more is possible. Bear in mind it's a buyers market right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on your definition of "rare". All old original ppk's are desirable, some more than others. Some are "quite" rare, such as ones with one of a kind markings. Mine is not that rare. However, it is a war bring back and its story makes it rare and special to me. Thanks to all for their input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a very respected gun shop in my town. There is a PPK in the case that has sat unloved for over a year. It’s in remarkable condition, much nicer then the one shown by the OP. I believe stating this gun is worth up to $1000 is a bit optimistic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If that is an original German PPK and in .32 , at a reasonable price. i would buy it in a heartbeat. Too bad you (jpsbgt) are in Oregon and I am in Kentucky. By the way, what do they want for it???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts