Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and I wanted to find out some facts about a pretty old Walther PPK 7.65 made in West-Germany that I inherited from my father. I'm guessing it's over 50 years old. The serial # is all numeric (no letters), how can I get information (actual age, how many were produced etc) on this very cool firearm?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
More data required. Up until around 1939 and again after 1954 PPKs had no letters in the serial. Need the number and a photo of the left slide and ejection port to try to answer your question.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
1966 manufacture, quite early in the year, date is stamped on barrel visible through ejection port. The components of the gun were made at the Manurhin plant in St Ettiene France and finished by Walther im Ulm an Donau, West Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old Walther PPK

Thank you Gonzo, that sure is quite a bit of detail that I had no clue of.

Is there any way to find out the production quantity for that year? Or maybe it's value? Which most of the time reflects a high or low production volume.
Thanks again for your help, I truly appreciate you.
Andy

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Based on the table I’ve seen I would say the production was steady in the 1960s. It is no more valuable than any other in the period unless you have the original box, papers, and accessories . There may have been a slowdown after they lost the US market when GCA ‘68 was passed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as accessories all I have is the magazine. But non the less you have given me a ton of information that probably would have taken me an eternity to find. Now I can assume that there is a few others like it out there. The actual value is really not as important since it was my fathers and I couldn't imagine ever selling it anyway.
Once again Gonzo I truly appreciate the all of the information you've provided me with. Thank God there are true knowledgeable aficionados like you to look up to. Thank you, Andy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
1966 manufacture, quite early in the year, date is stamped on barrel visible through ejection port. The components of the gun were made at the Manurhin plant in St Ettiene France and finished by Walther im Ulm an Donau, West Germany.

Manurhin was (and still is) located in the French département of Haut-Rhin (Upper Rhine), which borders the Rhine and is part of the cultural/historic region of Alsace. It is from this département that the firm's name is derived “Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin”. The production work done for Walther by Manurhin was, to the best of my knowledge, done in the plant in Mulhouse, the capital of Haut-Rhin.

Saint-Etienne is a lot closer to the Rhône than to the Rhine. It was home to the “Manufacture d’armes de Saint-Etienne” (MAS), which is now defunct (since 2001). It is also (still) home to the proof-house “Banc National d’Epreuve”. I am not aware of any Manurhin production facility in Saint-Etienne, but it is conceivable that pistol components which were manufactured in Mulhouse were sent to Saint-Etienne for final assembly and proofing. If this were the case, the finished firearm would be stamped “Made in France”. On the other hand, components manufactured in Mulhouse and subsequently sent to Ulm for final assembly and proofing would be stamped “Made in West Germany” or “Made in W. Germany”. The OP’s pistol carries the stamp of the Ulmer Proof House (the antler), so my guess is that it never got so much as a whiff of Saint-Etienne.

I would welcome clarification on these points by an authoritative person, or reference to an authoritative source, in case anything which I have stated above is misleading.

One thing I can state with certainty is that Manurhin was taken over last year by a company related to the government of the United Arab Emirates (Emirates Defense Industries Company) - a state of affairs which was not greeted with enthusiasm in Alsace:

https://ripostelaique.com/mulhouse-larmurier-francais-manurhin-brade-aux-emirats-arabes-unis.html

By the way, I love the way Americans pronounce “Manurhin”. It’s fun to hear and I would never suggest that they should pronounce it otherwise – as the world can be a grey enough place without a bit of humour.

Balor

·
Registered
629 Posts
In terms if value, your piece appears to have been reblued. Correct me if I am incorrect as it appears that the bluing is covering up several dings and pits. If it is just the lighting, then it may add more value.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's clearly a "shooter grade" (vice "collectors grade") pistol, but a nice piece nonetheless for defensive carry once you confirm reliability. Additionally, if that pistol has a great bore and internals, you might consider having it professionally refinished. It's a keeper for sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
The finish was my question as well. For the OP, is there lint from your wiping rag on the gun?
As sharp and clear as the markings are, it's hard to imagine a reblue...
Nice piece; do keep it in the family. It's not the Hitler Walther, so you can't swap it for a Porsche... ;)
Moon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The PPK has been in our family practically it's entire life based on 1966 born date, and my father never had it reblued. So it is completely original with very tiny scratches that are barely noticeable in person, but got very amplified with my wife's latest iphone from hell. I love this little gun, and I will surely keep it in the family. I just want to learn as much as I can about it.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts