Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my P99 at my FFL this morning and played hooky just now to put some rounds through it. I got a box of PMC target ammunition and fired two loads from one of the magazines without trouble.

I then figured I'd also try the second magazine to make sure it was working OK. I loaded it with 10 rounds. I also wanted to make sure I couldn't fire the gun if I insert the magazine with the action closed. It was a bit tougher to insert the magazine that way but no problem. Of course the gun didn't fire until I worked the slide. I then fired 10 shots, right hand only. After the last round I was surprised to see the magazine butt, spring and follower (blue piece) fall on the floor! One of the ridges that attaches the butt to the magazine had broken off. I'll attach a picture tonight.

Has anyone else experienced this too? It's a 2004 P99 AS 40 SW. Needless to say I'm not terribly impressed with the quality so far and I hope it's an isolated incident. Well, together with the back strap not being flush.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't be dismayed that it isn't quality as it is. I don't know about .40 mags. Are they Mec-gar? Some of the other guys can tell you if they are problematic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many many many posts about .40 P99 mags blowing out through the bottom.

No fix or solve for it, just got to grin and bear it (replace under warranty again and again until you get a few that are fine).

Surprised this is still happening, I thought they took care of it earlier this year.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mako88, thanks for your reply. I guess I should have read back further in time when I first joined the forums. It would be rather embarassing (and deadly) if you are facing a bad guy and all off a sudden the spring bounces out and your rounds plink on the floor. Better get the reloading drill down real good!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've griped about it several times on this forum. I think I'm all vented out now though

Walther USA unfortunately is in the practice of replacing defective floorplates with more of the same. My replacements broke too. Ask for S&W floorplates. Mine have about 1k rounds through each without breakage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip MLB. Bummer to stick S&W parts in a P99 but hey, if they are better then it's a no brainer of course. Hmm, I just checked the manual and there is no mention of magazine disassembly and reassembly even though the little yellow tool is provided. I'm thinking I don't have all the parts as right now I don't know effect insertion of the yellow pin would have. I'll disassemble the intact one tonight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is a know issue. Call up Smith and they will send you some new base plates. The Rep I spoke with when I had this problem suggested the S&W base plates were better.

Does anyone have a picture of the two base plates side by side?

Hey Nocturnal, what month was your P99 made? Mine was made December of 2003. I am curious to know how long this has been going on.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called S&W and they're sending out some new plates. No questions asked. Not even the serial number or anything. When I get the plates I'll take the picture you're asking for. I'm afraid it's more of the same and they're counting on a certain percentage of the plates being OK so that you'll eventually get lucky and get one that works. Begh. I'll check the manuf. date. I think it was April 2004.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weird, I have a 2004 .40 AE all german made pistol. Shot 500 rounds from the 2 mags that came with the pistol and have had no problems. Also I would smack the bottom of the mag pretty hard to make sure its in all the way. They are Mec-Gar mags too. I used Wolf ammo for all 500 rounds. One other thing, this is my first firearm ever and I love it. I just wish I didnt get into my motorcycling accident so I could go shooting again. Oh well, maybe by the time I get my free mags from walther my finger will work

w|ll

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, got to be able to shoot pretty well with either hand. Single handed too. The other day I surprised myself by shooting better single handedly than Weavered. I have to say that this gun is very easy to shoot with one hand. It kicks a bit but it's light enough that it's easy to keep it on target for a whole clip without rushing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last year a friend bought a .40 P99 and I bought a .40 SW99. His floorplates blew out on the first range trip and he was only loading 9 rounds. I've never had a problem with mine and I fully load them every time. His replacement Walther floorplates have been fine since then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts