Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My impression after scouring this site for info on compatible weapon-mounted tactical lights and lasers is that they're not too popular. I read somewhere on this site how it is believed that having the light mounted on the weapon gives your location away to the intruder. From what I understand though, most intruders couldn't hit the side of a barn to begin with. I think I'd be safer having momentarily blinded aforementioned intruder in order to decide whether or not this is gonna be a shoot/no-shoot situation. Regardless...

I am looking for info as to whether or not I can mount the Insight M6X to my soon-to-arrive 2nd generation P-99QA in .40 S&W. The M6X has both a tactical light and a laser. Yeah, I know. The laser is overkill and prolly stoopid & useless on what will be nothing more than a home-defense weapon. But it's my money and I like bells'n whistles ;)

As well, if anyone has a suggestion for any other brand of weapon-mounted light for the Walther, I sure as heck would like to hear your opinion.
Thanx,

Petey

PS: This site rocks as far as info for the P-99 goes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lights require some training just like firerams. You can't go buy a light stick it on your weapon and think your ready to fight in the dark. There are things that happen with light at night you wont expect unless you train and test.

Lights I know that will go on your weapon, are the TLR-1 at 72 lumans and my prefered blueish white light its probably the best on the market. You can get the TLR-2 that also includes a laser. The TLR-1 is very waterproof.

Your second option is the M5, and I am sure someone on here can talk more about it. My experience is with the M3 and although a perfectly fine light, its not as robust as the TLR in design and in bulb construction. Still works just fine though.

If you want more information check out http://www.strategosinternational.com/ specifically there book they sell. If you think the bad guy can't hit you then wouldn't need to carry a gun, and my personal experience has been one in the hand is safer then two on the gun.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
on the TLR make sure you get it with the "S&W key"
I do agree that lights require training.... I mostly train with a flash light
keep in mind that in the dark you do need a light.... or you don't know what is behind your target (my opinion anyways) also with the right light it will temp. blind the bad guy...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"If you think the bad guy can't hit you then wouldn't need to carry a gun"

LOLOL, yeah I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna underestimate anyone. But let's face it, most thiefs don't go target-shooting every month to hone their skills. I'd be willing to bet that an intruder who's been suddenly surprised by a flash of light in an area he's not familiar with will be at a disadvantage agaisnt me in my own home.
I do intend to practice holding/operating my P-99 along with the light at night, however. It is true that practice is essential. I pray to god I won't have to use it, though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I prefer to hit a light switch.
Now you are both blind ... good luck with that. At least with a flashlight you have the advantage of temp blinding the Bad Guy while you maintain the majority of your night vision.

One technique I have heard of is closing one eye, your dominant sight eye for instance, while leaving the other open. This effectively eliminates the light blindness from the spillover your most important eye needs in case of a altercation.

Also by turning the switch on, you are clearly exposed ... the BG knows if you have a weapon and what it is and exactly what is in the room he needs to navigate to get to you. You have essentially taken away the one element in which you hold most of an advantage ... knowledge of your home.

Now in response to weapon lights. I have been thinking of getting one, but I am still debating if it is better than a big maglight in the other hand. With a detached flashlight you can look around corners with out having to have your gun pointed in that direction. That is the big obstacle for my tiny mind to overcome in determining wether to get a light or not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly believe that I'd rather have both hands on my weapon, to tell the truth. Fact is that no one knows fer sure just how one will react in a stressful situation. I'd rather not have to fumble with two objects in my hands while possibly confronting an armed intruder. I'm not a police officer who routinely pulls his flashlight out during a traffic stop, or who goes looking around in a back yard for a reported intruder/peeping tom/burglar.
While "flicking a light switch" is funny as all hell, I dunno if I'll be next to that light switch when confronting an intruder. And if I do manage to be next to one (a light switch) and flick it on, I'm sure the intruder will be happy to have had me "put light on a dark subject" :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran thru it, actually. Absolutely excellent reviews and observations, just not for my particular needs. BlackBear84's fixation with flashlights is comparitive to mine in regards to sex, guns, 4x4's and fast cars LOLOL. I had looked thru his extremely informative thread before posting this thread (I hate to be told I didn't look hard enuf for previous threads ona subject I'm interested in;) ), just can't find anything about P-99's and various weapon0mounted lights.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tactical light fit on P99 2nd Generation

The M5 is a direct fit.

The M3 and M6 will fit if you get a replacement spring/bar piece. I have a M3LED with one of these and it fits the 2nd generation P99 that I have.

I also have a TLR-2 light that I bought used with a standard key, then for about $30 I bought a "key set". The S&W key was simple to change out and the light now fits the 2nd GEN P99 really well. The TLR-2 model I have has the screw down side post.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Most places don't teach night fighting the same way. You can go to 5 different gun oriented professional schools and learn the same thing about pistiols, and rifles with little differnce. Night fighting is totally different.

It took me going out into the woods setting up remote lights that stayed on or flashed, and taking a few people out. The one thing I learned was even a poor shot in the day time can snipe a flashlight at night out to around 20-30 feet.

Where I can have some difficulty under stress hitting the base of a coke can at 20 feet from the draw, at night I usually hit it in the first or second shot.

The assumptions of the day DO NOT cross over into night fighting, and most places teach it from a logical standpoint not a experience standpoint.

I think everyone should carry a light when they carry a gun, and even if they don't. However I just want people to realize you should seek the right people for lights and get some education on the subject. If you can go to a range at night and buy a 2 dollar wall mart light, and test how easy it is to hit the damn thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well...all I can say is, I don't plan on clearing a house, I plan on throwing on the light switch to my master bedroom, with a long arm trained on the door if somebody breaks into my house. In that case...the the light switch wins every time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most places don't teach night fighting the same way. You can go to 5 different gun oriented professional schools and learn the same thing about pistiols, and rifles with little differnce. Night fighting is totally different.

It took me going out into the woods setting up remote lights that stayed on or flashed, and taking a few people out. The one thing I learned was even a poor shot in the day time can snipe a flashlight at night out to around 20-30 feet.

Where I can have some difficulty under stress hitting the base of a coke can at 20 feet from the draw, at night I usually hit it in the first or second shot.

The assumptions of the day DO NOT cross over into night fighting, and most places teach it from a logical standpoint not a experience standpoint.

I think everyone should carry a light when they carry a gun, and even if they don't. However I just want people to realize you should seek the right people for lights and get some education on the subject. If you can go to a range at night and buy a 2 dollar wall mart light, and test how easy it is to hit the damn thing.
Wow, that's interesting! I'd have never guessed in a thousand yrs that hitting a momentary or intermittent flash of light in total darkness would be easier. I'd have bet a finger or two that the light would temporarily blurr an intruder's vision. But I also know that under the stress of having a possibly-armed intruder in my home, holding a handgun in one hand and a flashlight in the other is already gonna be too much. You are right though, I do have to do more reading on the subject.

As far as Phelptwan is concerned, sitting on your bed waiting for Mr Bad Guy to walk into your bedroom, already knowing you're up... To each his own, friend. I'm no John Wayne, but I'm not lighting up my bedroom like an airport runway so's Mr Nasty can be made aware that I'm up.
I do respect your opinion, however ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the double-tap, but it seems I'm missing an "edit" button at the bottom of my posts. Strange....

This is the response I got from Insight late this morning in regards to fitment of an M6X

"Peter,
Thank you for inquiring with Insight. As long as your Walther P99 has
the open end rails than you can mount the M6X-000-A11 (made for this
type of rail) or the X2 or X2 with laser. If you have any further
questions or concern don't hesitate to contact me."

As you all prolly know, 2nd gen P-99's have open rails, so I guess it's no longer an issue. I just find it strange that they wouldn't mention this on their fitment page in their site..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Depends on the situation.....

If I'm carrying concealed while out....dinner, work, wherever....I don't see a great need for a light. Any confrontation will be so up close and personal that I will be literally able to feel my target. At home, however, a light is a must. Confrontations will occur at greater distance, and you will want to verify that you aren't targeting a family member. IMHO the best tactical light should have a strobe to confuse the intruder and help conceal your position. While I'm not aware of any rail-mounted P99 lights with this function, Earl's supplies an adapter that can attach a small handheld light to the P99's magazine base. Yes, it looks really cheesy, but for the benefits of illuminating and confusing an intruder both hands on my weapon I'm willing to look a little silly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The M5 is a direct fit.

The M3 and M6 will fit if you get a replacement spring/bar piece. I have a M3LED with one of these and it fits the 2nd generation P99 that I have.

I also have a TLR-2 light that I bought used with a standard key, then for about $30 I bought a "key set". The S&W key was simple to change out and the light now fits the 2nd GEN P99 really well. The TLR-2 model I have has the screw down side post.

Hopefully this helps.

Please post some pics................this info is worthless without them.......:eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree wholeheartedly that a civvy carrying a weapon equipped with a tactical light while out for supper is kinda silly. My need is for a home-defense weapon. I do intend to fit a remote-on switch for the M6X, however. Leaving it on the whole time I'm creeping thru the house don't make sense, and I want to be able to flick the light on intermittently as needed.

Pics would be great, I agree. This info being useless? I disagree. I fully intend to post pics of the light mounted on the weapon as soon as I have both. I somehow went from simply wanting to purchase one GEN II black .40 S&W P-99QA to finally purchasing three, read it THREE P-99's, one being the aforementioned and two green GEN I P-99AS's, one in 9mm & the other in .40. How the HELL did that happen? :eek:

PS: The light's still going on the QA, though;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Also by the way turning your light on in the house is a great idea, but I really have to ask if you do carry outside of your house, irregardless of not going into very much low light areas, don't you think it would be prudent to have a light of some type with you?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I absolutely agree its a good idea to have one, just maybe not on the cc weapon.

Keeping your weapon and light separate allows you to use the light in non-hostile environments without causing alarm, and actually makes you less likely to be targeted for an attack because you are illuminated, thus drawing more attention.

Summary--Close Range--no light needed Long Range--Can't stop the sniper anyway Medium Range--Already prepared if you're holding a flashlight (which you should be if its that dang dark) and you may completely deter an attack by being a HARD TARGET.

I still want tac-lights for home defense.....and because gadgets are cool!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I carry 4x D batteried Maglights in all my vehicles. Not on me, obviously LOL. Mt cell phone has a rather bright spotlight, but I'd get shot, raped, molested and cut up into l'il itty-bitty pieces by the time I figured out how to turn it on:p

CCW is not permitted in this great country (he said with sarcasm). Even our cops have to leave their sidearms at the station after their shift This is SOP since the last few years). Is it just me or is something really, really wrong here....?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts