Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a couple of 40 S&W P99's with 12rd mags, and 45ACP SW99's with 9rd mags, and just acquired a couple of 9mm P99's that came with 10rd mags. No issues with any of those.
But, just received a couple of Genuine Walther 15rd 9mm mags...big problem. Neither of the 15rd mags will take more than 8 rounds of Olin factory ammo. The rounds are getting jammed cockeyed at the bases 8 rounds down into the mags. What a revoltin' development this is! As a longtime Walther guy (many PP's, PPK's, P38's, P!'s, P6's, P99's in 40S&W, and SW99's in 45ACP), and happy with all of those, this debacle with the 15rd 9mm mags has me beyond the "unhappy" condition. I'll keep it clean, and won't express just how unhappy I am 馃サ

THIS...I would NEVER have expected of a Walther product. Once again, the 10rd mags load just fine.
Is the issue with the jammed/cockeyed rounds in the 15rd mags a known problem? The mags are Genuine Walther made in Italy (presumably by MecGar), and I've never had a problem with MecGar staggered-cartridge mags. As a side note, none of my several SIG 9mm 16rd-mag guns have such a problem.

Who do I contact to "fix" this very un-Walther problem? I am absolutely shocked by this problem!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might check to see if the springs are reversed or binding on something. Otherwise, call Walther Customer Service.
Yeah, I took one of them apart, and everything was in order. Spring was installed correctly, and the follower moved freely without binding. I also have a Creed with 16rd mags that load and function flawlessly. Comparing the P99 10rd and 15rd mags, the only obvious difference I can see, is the creases or indentations in each side of the mags running from the lips to about the 7rd level appear to be wider and deeper in the 10rd mags. Hmm...and the 7-8 rd level is where the jamming occurs. I didn't remove the followers from both the 10rd and 15rd mags to compare, and see if there was any obvious difference between them. I'll call Walther next week.
Anybody else had this problem with P99 9mm 15rd mags?

Registered
Never

Super Moderator
Dayum TDF, you saying "you just received a couple of Genuine Walther 15rd 9mm mags...big problem. Neither of the 15rd mags will take more than 8 rounds of Olin factory ammo. The rounds are getting jammed cockeyed at the bases 8 rounds down into the mags."

Never heard of that happening. Try this.....grab one of the 'new' mags and one of your older mags that works correctly. Very carefully disassemble each mag, laying the parts out on the table. Examine and compare the followers, springs and mag bodies. They may or may not look the same.....just checking. Now, take the follower and spring from the good mag and stick em' into the bad mag body.....load er' up. What's the result? 8 or 15?

Registered
Olin? As in Winchester? What ammo is this specifically? I have many P99 15 round mags and have never had a problem of any kind with them.
Photos of the offending magazines would be helpful as well.

Registered
Have you tried loading different ammo into the mags?

I'd tend to think out of spec ammo is a more likely culprit than bad mags, but stranger things have happened.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dayum TDF, you saying "you just received a couple of Genuine Walther 15rd 9mm mags...big problem. Neither of the 15rd mags will take more than 8 rounds of Olin factory ammo. The rounds are getting jammed cockeyed at the bases 8 rounds down into the mags."

Never heard of that happening. Try this.....grab one of the 'new' mags and one of your older mags that works correctly. Very carefully disassemble each mag, laying the parts out on the table. Examine and compare the followers, springs and mag bodies. They may or may not look the same.....just checking. Now, take the follower and spring from the good mag and stick em' into the bad mag body.....load er' up. What's the result? 8 or 15?
Don't have any other 15rd mags...yet, so can't try swapping springs. But, have 3 NEW factory fresh 15rd mags coming next week. However, see response to Angry Hippo and BlitzPig.

Super Moderator
But, just received a couple of Genuine Walther 15rd 9mm mags...big problem.
One question I forgot to ask. What does 'received' mean? How'd you or where'd you acquire these mags? Were they brand spankin' new, in the factory packaging? If so, and after you've tried different ammo brands (as suggested by AH and BP) and if they're still exhibiting this problem, then contact Walther. They'd probably want you to send the mags to them for testing, etc. prior to replacement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried loading different ammo into the mags?

I'd tend to think out of spec ammo is a more likely culprit than bad mags, but stranger things have happened.
OK. I tried Winchester, and the mags load just fine. I've attached pics of the Olin boxes. I've shot several thousand rounds of the Olin in many staggered cartridge hi-cap mags in my SIGs and the Creed, and 10rd mags in my P99's...with never a problem. So, looks like a tolerance issue between the P99 15rd mags and the Olin ammo. I'll mic the Olin ammo, and see if it meets specs. I've still got a couple of ammo cans filled with the Olin ammo, so it looks like that ammo won't see any time in P99 15rd mags.
Rectangle Font Material property Signage Electric blue
Font Wood Rectangle Material property Electric blue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One question I forgot to ask. What does 'received' mean? How'd you or where'd you acquire these mags? Were they brand spankin' new, in the factory packaging? If so, and after you've tried different ammo brands (as suggested by AH and BP) and if they're still exhibiting this problem, then contact Walther. They'd probably want you to send the mags to them for testing, etc. prior to replacement.
Yeah, the mags are Genuine Walther in the large plastic Walther blister packages. Nothing about the mags or packages looks dodgy. It all looks legit.

Registered
Nothing wrong with that old ammo ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Now, that was an easy fix. 馃榿
Well, I'll call it a "work-around". At least I know that the 15rd P99 mags I have can't use the Olin ammo. The problem may be a matter of tolerance build-up between the mags and ammo. About a dozen of my other guns with hi-cap mags have no problem using the Olin ammo.
According to my measurements of the Winchester and Olin cartridges, both meet SAAMI specs for diameter of rim and body base.
Win rim: 0.3875
Olin rim: 0.3855
Spec rim: 0.384-0.394

Win body base: 0.3855
Olin body base: 0.3855
Spec body base: 0.3840-0.3910

So...the only difference in the cartridge diameters near the base,is the Olin being 0.0020 smaller than the Winchester, but still 0.0015 within the SAAMI spec. And, yes...my micrometer is calibrated.
Both cartridges meet the SAAMI spec, but only one of the two are compatible with my new P99 15rd mags. I've just found and ordered 5 "old" 15rd mags. I'm anxious to see whether or not they'll be compatible with the Olin ammo. Who knows? Could be a result of die aging/wear or die changes/replacement at MecGar. Will update after receipt of the "old" mags;)

Registered
So just for grins have you tried loading magazine with a MagLula to "motivate" it?

Registered
Well, I'll call it a "work-around". At least I know that the 15rd P99 mags I have can't use the Olin ammo. The problem may be a matter of tolerance build-up between the mags and ammo. About a dozen of my other guns with hi-cap mags have no problem using the Olin ammo.
According to my measurements of the Winchester and Olin cartridges, both meet SAAMI specs for diameter of rim and body base.
Win rim: 0.3875
Olin rim: 0.3855
Spec rim: 0.384-0.394

Win body base: 0.3855
Olin body base: 0.3855
Spec body base: 0.3840-0.3910

So...the only difference in the cartridge diameters near the base,is the Olin being 0.0020 smaller than the Winchester, but still 0.0015 within the SAAMI spec. And, yes...my micrometer is calibrated.
Both cartridges meet the SAAMI spec, but only one of the two are compatible with my new P99 15rd mags. I've just found and ordered 5 "old" 15rd mags. I'm anxious to see whether or not they'll be compatible with the Olin ammo. Who knows? Could be a result of die aging/wear or die changes/replacement at MecGar. Will update after receipt of the "old" mags;)
What's the OAL measurement?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts