Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can give me info about a PP I have. Caliber is .32 ACP. It has a blued slide marked "Ulm/ Donau", and I know that means that the slide was made around 1953 or later. The slide is also marked "C.A.I. Georgia VT", and I know that that is the importer's mark. The frame has a six-digit serial number ("1XXXXX") followed by a "P", which I believe means that it was made during the war. And on the left side of the frame, just above the front part of the trigger guard, is a mark that says "Rplt. Nr. 4XXX". I have been told that this means that it was made for the Danish police, possibly motorcycle police. The frame also has a lanyard ring, which also suggests a gun made for motorcycle police. What is most odd, though, is that the frame looks like it's made of an alloy-- it has a dull, brushed silver appearance, like brushed aluminum. The trigger, trigger guard, and mag release button are all blued. I don't have the gun stored at my house (long story there), but when I get a chance I hope to at least field strip it to see if the frame is magnetic (or if it seems less magnetic than the slide).

Maybe this is just a gun that is cobbled together from spare parts, which is fine-- I bought it as a plinker. But the more I looked at it the more I wondered how it came to be.

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The frame is indeed from a Danish police contract PP from likely 1939/40. The Rplt stands for Rigspolitiet, plus the inventory number. The swivel was pretty much a standard feature on those and doesn’t necessarily indicate motorcycle use.

If the slide is Walther/Ulm stamped, it is obviously a replacement, made by Manurhin and finished in Ulm after 1958. I don’t know whether there is a way to tell whether it was an in-service refurbishment or whether you just have a parts gun.

PS: Just checked Dieter’s book and does say that some Danish pistols were refurbished at Danish arsenals with a matte chrome finish on frame and/or slide. That sounds like what you might have.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absalom: Thanks for the info. After looking a bit more in this forum (which I should have done in the first place), I found the thread started by "Jaems" ("The Danish police pistol 7.65") that gives even more info (although your observation of the note in Dieter's book about the matte chrome finish was very helpful). It appears that my gun has very similar markings to the one Jaems describes, so next time I get a chance to check my gun, I'll have to see if the serial number is marked inside the left side of the slide. If so, I think that would pretty much prove that my gun is a Danish police contract gun, that had been arsenal-refurbished. Either that, or it's a clever fake.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
541 Posts
........ I'll have to see if the serial number is marked inside the left side of the slide. If so, I think that would pretty much prove that my gun is a Danish police contract gun, that had been arsenal-refurbished. Either that, or it's a clever fake.
I doubt anyone would bother faking this, as it doesn't really enhance the value of an early-war PP. But it would help to establish whether the slide was "officially" replaced during refurbishment, or under other circumstances.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know enough about these guns to know about values, etc., but what you say makes sense (I would not be able to argue the point). And "proving" any of this would be easier with records (factory, arsenal, etc.), but I don't know if such is available. Still, if the serial number is etched inside the left side of the slide, that would strongly indicate that, as you said, the slide was "officially" replaced during refurbishment, rather than cobbled together by a tinkerer. And that may also lend credence to the thought that the re-finish on the frame was also done "officially". In any event, it's an interesting story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts