Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I picked up this p38 nearly 6 years ago now and I am only just trying to figure out the markings. All the fonts seems to be of poor quality which made me think it might be a end of war type but I have no clue. I have tried to research it but have come up with nothing. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.
Wood Tints and shades Font Door Metal
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Flash photography Helmet Cameras & optics Tints and shades Wrist
Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive design
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
410 Posts
The SVW 45 marking on the slide means that the P 38 was manufactured by Mauser in Oberndorf in 1945.
Whether it is still a German war production or a production for a French order from May 1945 could be seen from corresponding markings. But on the posted photos they aren't to be seen.
The barrel is definitely not part of the original weapon. It bears the German proof mark beginning with 1952, eagle above N. The barrel also bears the Walther / Ulm factory mark for quality control, a circle with a dot in the middle.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I wonder why the ‘p38’ ‘ marking and the others is so badly done.
Welome to the forum.

It's possible that the slide was buffed prior to refinishing and someone decided to "help" the P.38 stamp by restriking it.

Can we see a picture of the complete pistol, left and right sides ? Also the magazine.

Has it been deactivated ? Do you have a holster for it ?

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
it has been deactivated
I think I see what looks like a British proof mark above the trigger guard but what about deactivization ? Is there any marking to signify that or do they just give you a certificate?

I don’t have a holster just yet, I do for all of my other deacs
We'd like to see those too when you have the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is a picture of the British deactivated stamp,
This one is very faint, we have the stamps and then we get the certificate. I stopped collecting deactivated pieces a few years ago as they now just weld most of the moving parts up and make cuts in magazines etc, such a shame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts