Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a little more muzzle flip from a PPQ ( and a P 99 also) than I get off of my Glocks and S&W M&Ps. I think this is due to the higher bore axis on the PPQ ( and P 99). Since these pistols are very light to begin with, I am going to attach a light on the barrel and see if this eliminates some of the flip with the extra weight. Has anybody tried this and what was your outcome?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have several glocks, a M&P, a P226, in 40. And the P99 had alot more recoil then all of those pistols. and the glocks were 27,23 and the 27. Ended up selling the p99 for that reason. I just got the PPQ m2 in 40 with the 5" barrel. I am hoping it was not as bad as the p99

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The light does reduce muzzle flip, but since I never carry my pistol with a light, I decided not to practice with the light on the pistol. If you do shoot with a light attached, try putting a single drop of oil on the lens before shooting. Cleaning will be much easier afterwards.

The 99-series pistols do have more muzzle flip than other comparable polymer framed defensive pistols, but in my experience, the muzzle comes back down about as quickly as it flips up, and I shoot the 99-series pistols better than all other comparable polymer framed defensive pistols. This probably goes without saying, but muzzle flip is only one factor as to how well a pistol is shot. I've yet to find a polymer defensive pistol with anywhere near as little muzzle flip as the Beretta PX4, but I shot my P99 much better, and much more easily at speed.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Not a problem at all. I prefer my P99, P99c and PPQ over my Glock and M&Ps. It's just a matter of shooting them. They all are different in their own ways.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Darn that nuzzle flip anyway...:)!

While I don't have issues with flip I still use SprinCo RSAs on my 9mm weapons to help me reacquire target more quickly. I have a BT guide rod in my Q45 for the same reason.

I shoot one handed and really don't find the Q out of the box to be that "flippy" compared to other weapons. But that's just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve been shooting Glocks for 25 years as well as 1911’s and every polymer design and I think the whole “bore axis” thing is a little bit exaggerated in the gun reviews. I never heard people even talk about it just a few years ago. I can go from a Glock to a Sig 229 easily and not notice it myself. With the POQ I shoot the best and fastest of all my pistols but everyone is different.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You guys and muzzle flip talk with the PPQ:rolleyes:

I hope you’re not talking about the 9mm PPQ?

The 9mm Q doesn’t have muzzle flip! Work on your grip.
If you’re talking about the Q45 or Q40 than yes I would agree with you to a certain degree, but it’s pretty manageable with practice.
If you have the opportunity rent a Q45 or Q40 than shoot your 9mm Q afterwards. The 9mm almost feels like the 22LR version.

I do this cycle of shooting all the time. It how I got better at shooting my 9mm Q. It works, I can hit a 12”x12” steel target at 80-90 yards with iron sights now with my 9mm Q.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that grip has been taken care- I did get to the range. I attached a TLR -1 to my P 99. Unfortunately, I did not have the PPQ with me. Anyway it worked like a charm. Outstanding performance! I was able to shoot the pistol pretty fast and accurately with that light. The P 99 has a nice trigger and needs no action job right out of the box making it a nice pistol to shoot. The light tamed the recoil and the P 99 and PPQ, being pretty light pistols, make it easy to pack them with the TLR 1 attached. I shot the P 99 more than I intended because I was doing so good.
Now I find the Sig 320, P 99, and PPQ do have a high bore axis as compared to Glocks and S&W M&Ps. If you do not understand what a high bore axis is and what it causes - then grip any handgun halfway up the grip and shoot it and you will understand muzzle flip ( aka recoil). I intend to attach a TLR - 1 to the aforementioned handguns as well as my Gen 5 G 19 ( which is also a very light pistol) and shoot that way with them from now on.
Turrican - Sigs are heavy pistols and that weight tames their recoil. I would bet I have been shooting a lot longer than you. When I first started shooting USPSA the 1911 was king of the hill; and when I went to my first range officer class, Dave Stanford, the first president of USPSA, was the instructor. I was issued my first 1911 in 1964. That is when I started shooting.
Anyway, try the attached light and see how you like it on the Q and P 99. I sure works well for me!!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
To get the most out of your PPQ, you have to have you technique together. As others have pointed out the PPQ is light with a little high bore axis than some other guns.

It's only a 9mm though and hardly a gand cannon
. Makes sure your have grip and stance squared away and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turrican, don't listen to me. When I started there were almost no shooting schools around and very few instructors with the exception of possibly Gunsite. It was all trial and error, The 1911 was still king of the hill;and when someone showed up with a Glock, we told them to get rid of that plastic gun and get a real one. Little did we know that Glock would take over the world later.
I have to say in my defense, since then I have been to instruction with all the major instructors around ( Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, Travis Haley, Tom Givens, John Farnam, Brian Hoffner) and most more than once. Probably left out a few. So take advantage, as much a you can, of what you have that we did not have.
My best advice is to listen to Olsoul and Iamaoldfart on this forum. They are the two of the most helpful people around and know the Walthers backwards and forwards. You cannot go wrong listening to those two.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Turrican, don't listen to me. When I started there were almost no shooting schools around and very few instructors with the exception of possibly Gunsite. It was all trial and error, The 1911 was still king of the hill;and when someone showed up with a Glock, we told them to get rid of that plastic gun and get a real one. Little did we know that Glock would take over the world later.
I have to say in my defense, since then I have been to instruction with all the major instructors around ( Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, Travis Haley, Tom Givens, John Farnam, Brian Hoffner) and most more than once. Probably left out a few. So take advantage, as much a you can, of what you have that we did not have.
My best advice is to listen to Olsoul and Iamaoldfart on this forum. They are the two of the most helpful people around and know the Walthers backwards and forwards. You cannot go wrong listening to those two.
If you had to pick one, which would you say was most beneficial?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Muzzle Flip

I just bought a ppq in 45 acp the other day and took it to the range today. I was shooting 230 Winchester ammo in it, and was very surprised at the muzzle flip on this gun. My other guns are Glocks, XDs and sigs. None of them rise up like this puppy! It was quite unexpected.

I have been shooting for many years and do quite well at it, but this was my first Walther in 45. I guess I need more range time with it, which I'm sure will tame the flip, but this gun does rise up. No question about it.

The trigger is fantastic, probably one of the best out there, but I'm an going to aquire a whole new level of experience in taming this gun.

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
I've been EDCing a Q45 for three years. As I said before I don't find it flippy at all and due to an injury I am forced to shoot one handed.

I guess each person is different in terms of their perception of what constitutes "flip".

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
This subject has been discussed numerous times in this forum and the answer is....there is no universal solution short of proper grip and a lot of shooting.

I tried everything short of replacing the factory rs with a lighter spring. I added weight, replaced the factory rs with a DPM reduction "system", added 8oz of weight at the muzzle and changed grip. The DPM had a very slight dampening affect and the weight did nothing.

I find that the PPQ 45 is not much different than my XDs 3.3" 45, the Sig P220 and Colt 1911. That's my perception.....others feel differently.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Can we make a sticky thread for nuzzle flip?
Do not nuzzle your muzzle. Just adjust your grip and arm positions. A perfected grip and slightly bent elbows will flop the flip. Forget the ‘rules’ and find a grip/arm combo that works to reduce flip.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have not fired a PPQ .45, but did handle one the other day. Compared to my M&P .45 2.0 the grip is much less aggressive, and felt like the gun would move more under recoil.

The M&P is very manageable with 230s, and I would say the "flip" is pretty minimal for a .45. The grip texture, shape, and bore axis seem to keep it in check. I'm certain the trigger on the PPQ is much better than the M&P though.

I really like my .22 PPQ, and would buy a PPQ in 9mm (same overall size and shape as the .22), but the .45 didn't have the same feel for me.

A 185gr bullet may be worth a try to see if the recoil is more manageable.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jkv45: Any of the instructors I named would be beneficial. They all have different techniques and teaching methods; but the basics are the same. Their advanced courses are all excellent. I could not pick one. Two courses I would tell everyone to take are Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute Course on a self defense shooting and Brian Hoffner's Force on Force Couse. A two day Force on Force course with you participating in different shooting scenarios teaches you a lot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts