Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perspective changes....
Your looking at a PPS on your monitor and thinking "i think ill wait for the black framed one..."
then next you are holding one in your hand.....
perspective changes....

Needless to say, a First Edtion PPS followed me home today.
and I must say my perspective HAS changed about it, and i just wanted to share some thoughts.
First off, the frame looks ALOT better in person. The pictures of it make it sorta look cheap. In person it ooozes niceness!
Also, I remember accusing the PPS of being a Glock knock off because of its take down buttons/shape/location. After breaking my PPS down, i can say its a HUGE improvement over a glock and nothing like one....
Also, i thought i would prefer to carry it with the shortest, 6 rd magazine and use the 8 round mag as a reload, however the 7 round mag gives the gun a fill grip yet is still angle back, so doesnt increase size much.....

Its really true that you CANT judge a book by its cover, or in this case, a gun by a picture.....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ah, it seems like i cant edit my post...
another thing i wanted to add that was a suprise is about the sights..
THEY ARE METAL!!!

what a wild idea!?!! a Walther with metal sights! i wish they would follow suit on the P99/p99c/p22.....
I may keep these on regardless of what night sights come out.... i still cant figure out how to adjust the rear one tho...

·
Registered
144 Posts
From Germany:
"The PPS sight is drift adjustable. Drift adjustment is done with a hammer and a drift punch.
Sorry about that, but there is no screw or anything to assist adjustment for windage."

There is a T-cut at the rear sight channel, that is to facilitate the installation of the rear sight, sliding it from right to left. I have a close-up picture for that, but too large and unable to upload here.

Airfix

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but what is the cylinder looking thing inside the site on the bottom?
i dont want to potentially damage any threads by banging on this thing

·
Registered
144 Posts
David,

I sent the picture to Uncut and he will post it here soon.
From other pics I got, I know what you were referring to, there is a small round hole at the right side. Unfortunately we did not discuss that little part a month ago, I really don't know the function of it, could it be for the drifting plunger (?)

But I can tell you that the PPS is designed to keep the line of sights on the slide lower than on the slide of P99, hence the notches of both front and rear sights are cut deeper in the metal of the slide. So be aware when buying after market sights.

The factory No.2 rear sight notch is 4.6mm wide, the No.1 notch is 3.8mm wide. Personally I agree that Walther made the right decision to install the No.2 rear sight. P99 rear sight notch is also 4.6mm.

Airfix

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Here is the pic.....
on the right is a P99 slide as I am sure you guys will notice.....
as to the sights... I am not sure anymore which notch/sight was first... but I know the second rear sight was done for a police contract that requested to notch to be wider/thinner.....

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in that picture,. the slide with the hole in it is a p99 slide.... notice the top serrations

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, it is. The purpose of that picture was to show the difference of the channel for the rear sight. As we all know the P99 has a hole for the plunger. The PPS slide does not, just the T-cut for installation of the rear sight. The middle one is pre-heat treatment sample, it is carbon steel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to hear that you picked up a first edition. I know that I have been plenty impressed with the FE I purchased for my wife, and she loves it. In fact, everyone who has seen it loves it.

Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are the improvements that you see in the internals compared to a Glock?
I think the biggest improvement over a glock that I have seen is the trigger. While functionally similar, the pull is much smoother than a factory glock trigger. (And I am a glock fan) While I like the visibility of the loaded chamber indicator (similar to the P99), I have the same issue that I do with the P99 in that the dot is really an indication that the striker is held back, not that a round is in the chamber.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have the same issue that I do with the P99 in that the dot is really an indication that the striker is held back, not that a round is in the chamber.
You are correct on this, well almost. The Red Dot is the indicator that the pistol is cocked, not a loaded chamber indicator. The Chamber indicator is simply an area painted red near the rear of the extractor that becomes slightly visible when the chamber is loaded. Since I don't have a PPS I don't know if it has the same type of chamber indicator.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
the loaded chamber indicator on the PPS is the cut behind the chamber, ontop of the barrel...once a round is loaded you can see the casing through that cut
I am not sure if that it is any better or worse then on the P99 but ..... IMHO a gun is always loaded :D

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you Jake, I had never noticed that red mark on my wifes P99. I had noticed the cut on the PPS, but again both require visual inspection. Though the placement may be impractical, I like that the Glock has a LCI that can be felt and does not require visual inspection.

Uncut, I agree that a gun is always loaded for safety considerations. Having said that, I know that not every gun in out house is stored with a round chambered and I would therefore need to chamber a round under some circumstances. Each gun is each always kept in the same manner so it is consistient, but something highly visible from the rear or that could be felt with the hand in a normal grip would be preferable in my mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts