Walther Forums banner

Not too big in P99s but - Who likes their P99s Silenced?

• Walther P99 9mm (silenced)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Walther P99 .40SW (silenced)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above, I hate silencers

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't have a silencer so I can't vote...but if I did it would be for the 9mm...are there any advantages to a silencer or is it a "just for fun" item?

Question? The silencers that you have do they have a life expectancy or can the internal baffles be changed. Someone told me that some silencers are only good for so many hundreds of rounds....just wondering?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Nov. 24 2005,16:34)]I don't have a silencer so I can't vote...but if I did it would be for the 9mm...are there any advantages to a silencer or is it a "just for fun" item?

Question? The silencers that you have do they have a life expectancy or can the internal baffles be changed. Someone told me that some silencers are only good for so many hundreds of rounds....just wondering?
Yea I heard that they are only good for so many rounds. I think that would be meaning how ever good the brand you silencer is. I do understand why people would use them for play but, I do also know that some silencers can mean the differance between you and 30+ something guys getting shot-up. I wish we could have them. FYI I don't have a silencer bud. I WISH I did. If you pay 200$ extra, I think you can get one.
I don't see why SO MANY PEOPLE want silencers for so little calibers. Like .22. Its SOOOOOO stupid! An 9 isn't too bad. I've shot about 35 rounds of 9 with no muffs or anything. And 15 rounds of .40 with no muffs. And about 10 rounds of .38 Special with no muffs. I do like silencers and yes I would have one on a PPK/S if I could. I have a 2 Tone CO2 PPK/S with a fake silencer and it looks bad ace.

P.S. Just cause you don't have one don't mean you can't vote!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPK/S Guy @ Nov. 24 2005,23:53)]If you pay 200$ extra, I think you can get one.
I can get good ear protection for about $30, and it works with all of the calibers I shoot.

Seriously though, you should get those ears covered. It's not worth your hearing.

Take Care,
MLB

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I know. The whole point of silencers is to make it so OTHER people can't hear your gun. I do shoot with my ears covered but sometimes I forget.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 22 and most 22’s are totally Hollywood quiet. A 9mm can comes close but if you are near, maybe 10 yards or so, you will hear a bit of pop even with the best shot wet. Due to more powder in bigger rounds it's just a matter of how quiet you want it as far as what caliber you pick. My suppressed P99 9mm is damn quiet, my Gemtech-Ruger 22 does not even sound like a gun. With both the action makes more noise than the discharge (9mm) shot wet. A suppressed 22 is considered by professionals to be more of an assassination gun where a 9mm and above is considered more of an all around offensive-defensive gun. For me it’s just fun to hear the bullet hit wood backstop at 50 – 100 yards and the impact downrange making more noise than the gun. Sort of pointless for most of us, yea, heck of a cool factor for many, put me in that category.

Rockets Out...

PS: Most good ones will last as long as the host firearm, often longer. Wearing out a quality can is not a concern.

PPS: Most are sealed units due to a change in the law some time back. The baffle stacks in the ones that you can change are considered a silencer in itself so it is another $200.00 to the government, normally a $100.00 to your dealer, the cost of the parts and a six-month wait to be approved just for baffles, though I believe you can get around that by sending it in to the manufacturer and having them swap them out. Also removable baffles are old technology and normally are louder, though I am generalizing a bit but that is true most of the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't mean to brag but yes,

Gemtech-Ruger 22 Suppressed.

P99 9mm Suppressed.

Glock 17 Made into a Short Barrel Rifle Suppressed

H&K MP5A3 9mm Suppressed

M16A2 .223 Suppressed (If you can call it that with the unavoidable supersonic ballistic sound barrier crack about 10 yards after it leaves the can, sounds like a 22 short)

All Removable Cans

And a bunch of other pointless stuff.

Mainly I just shoot pistols with hearing protection.

Rockets Out……

·
Registered
86 Posts
Paid fee's on all of them. Yea, The MP5 is full auto, I have two trigger packs for it, A Navy 0-1-F and a 0-1-3-F (3 being a three round burst). Honestly, the full auto bug left my system after about a year. I don't hardly flip the switch anymore, shooting suppressed keeps putting a smile on my face year after year.

Rockets Out….

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice choice of firearms Rockets! It is similiar to my desired future collection... a gun for every application. Any reason why a combat shotgun (s) isn't in there?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I plan to buy a Benelli 14 inch entry gun with a surefire foregrip and ghost rings but I’ve said that for years and there is always something I would rather have first.

This is a bit of hoot. My father Gave me a Ducks Unlimited 870 he won. I don’t hunt so I did not have much use for it but hey, it’s a gift from dear old dad so it’s not like I am going to sell it. On one side of the receiver it has about a 1/8 inch cutout of ducks, the words ducks unlimited and the like.

So to make it something I would like I took it, put a 18 inch barrel on it, put a Surefire pump fore grip tactical light on it, put a tube extension on it and got an actual Remmington pistol grip folding stock marked “For Law Enforcement Only” and put that on the thing and got a sidesaddle shell holder or whatever they are called that mount to the receiver. Machined it to mount on the folding stock (ripped the idea off the end of Terminator 2 and just copied the mounting)

If you look at one side it’s very cool looking with the LE marked stock folded, six extra shells on top, tactical light and all that. Flip it over and no cool LE words on the stock but a big ducks unlimited engraving all over the receiver. It’s a goofy thing.

Have a friend down here who used to guard the Governor. (Got a heck of a Glock off him but that is a different story). Anyway he carried the same setup in a 14 inch in the limo. (Not with the DU markings of course). His was a bit more useful but those folding stocks weigh a ton, my unit is a darn boat anchor, his was just awkward. With both and especially mine it would be hard to engage multiple targets with any speed though his short barrel helped.

I did buy a Remmington synthetic stock for it but it’s just sat on top of the safe for a few years, one of these days I guess. I think I would rather put it back together like it was originally as there were no permanent modifications, turn it back into a big long duck gun with wood and buy the Benelli. Till then though it’s not a bad house gun if you keep the stock folded, I can swing it around with some speed then.

Till then I think I will leave it as is and if there ever is a goofy gun contest and all those Gold Plated Ak’s, MP5’s and Stens from Iraq are entered I stand a good chance of tying for first if I just take the picture from the DU side.

A very windy Rockets Out,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rockets, if you don't mind sharing, can you elaborate about your suppressed P99. Did you thread the original barrel, or did you buy a threaded replacement from Walther? The bug has recently bit me to get do the form 4. I'd like to get something that works for both .223/.22LR, but my P99AS sounds like a deserving candidate as well. I'm trying to weigh the costs of each weapon. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can’t thread the original barrel as the threads would not hang out the end of the slide, there even has to be a small gap of non-treaded area outside the slide as the guide rod shoots out of the end of the slide by a 1/8 inch or so during recoil. I have a bar-sto barrel, extended, blued and threaded. Flawless job by them. A SWR GSG9 can that does 41 db’s dry. Make sure you get a can with a LCD or neilson device or a P99 or Glock will not cycle it. Walther makes an expensive threaded barrel but for most US cans you would have to use an adaptor (metric threads). Nice thing about going with the bar-sto is it is the standard US threading so you can buy about any aftermarket US threaded barrel for any other 9mm pistol or carbine you own and it will screw right on it. I did put it on a P22 once and it worked but was a bit loud for a can (hole size). Once I sprayed some oil in the can it was close to a decent 22 can for 30 rounds or so till the oil burnt off.

A 223 can will work on a 22 quite well. Not much difference in the hole size. The drawback is weight, especially since most 223 cans are steel to hold up to auto fire. A 22 can is normally made of aluminum or some other lighter metal. My Gemtech can for the M16 weighs a ton, but it has to. On a 22 a 223 can, at least all that I have seen will make it so muzzle heavy it would be hard to hold a steady aim freehand.

That said it will work fine if you don’t mind a boat anchor on the end of your 22, though I would not even think about putting a 223 can on a 22 pistol.

Rockets Out…

PS: Megaman, Too cool, brings back those old NES days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks, If you are talking of my firearms I expect some day most of them will put my kids through the Collage, but that's 12 years away and I likey won't care other than a few cherry picked keepers. (Too bad the really good stuff is what doubles in value every four years or so and will likely go but who knows, M16 no biggy, MP5 hard to part with)

Rockets Out...

·
Registered
83 Posts
rockets, what is the noise level like with supersonic 9mm? do you normally shoot the 147grn stuff with your silencers?

frye

·
Registered
86 Posts
SUPERsonic causes a crack downrange since you are breaking the sound barrier. Think jets and sonic booms, Nothing you can do about it since the noise is not happing in the can. It is still fairly quite, no hearing protection needed, not even close, about like I would say a small firecracker. Somewhere between a cap gun and a 22. That said it is quite enough to hear the action cycling but the bang does sound like a gun. Only shot a few that were not 147 just to see what it sounded like. It sort of defeats the idea of suppression to some extent.

With 147 Grain ammo what I think you are hinting at is correct. It’s SUBsonic, no downrange ballistic crack. Now we are into Hollywood quite. I use custom ammo in all my suppressed 9mm that is optimized to be as quite as can be in a MP5 made in Alabama called Special K. It does not cost any more than any other good ammo, is optimized to keep the FPS as close as possible to the sound barrier without going supersonic and uses some sort of special fast burning powder so the “bang” stays in the can. Great stuff. Noticeably quieter than normal 147 or subsonics (really the same thing 147=Subsonic). I am not saying a decent 147 Grain round makes much noise, we are still talking Hollywood quite, but at about the same price for a bit quieter I just go with the stuff actually designed for suppression.

Hey, and PPK/S, yes if the MP5 has to go that’s not a bad idea, either that or hit a country road and return them to the wild to frolic.

Rockets Out…..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts