Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But still darned good. It is definitely the most dependable firearm I own.

As my P99-AS crossed the 600-round threshold yesterday at the range I had one FTE. The spent case got stuck part way out of the chamber and the next round jammed behind it when it tried to feed. It took a moment to clear it. I have been practicing with S&B FMJ.

I had been trying to refine my accuracy at fifteen yards and was getting most of my shots in the six-inch circle. This is pretty good for me. I marvel at those shooters who can put ten rounds in a 3.5-inch circle at twenty-five yards (unsupported?).

I find that my sights are pretty close to point-of-aim at fifteen yards. I'll see what I get at twenty-five yards next time out when I run it up to 800 rounds.

I really like the SA trigger characteristics. DA seems to be smoothing out with use. I always de-cock to DA mode when the gun is loaded for self-defense. I use Federal JHP.

I couldn?t find a Galco Holster specifically for a P99 but this one fits well ad it looks good.

All-in-all I am extremely pleased with my P99.

Russell

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Glad U like your P99. I have had zero jams in 2300 rounds thru mine, 2000 rounds thru my SW99 and 1200 thru my P99 compact.

Galco does make the Fletch, the concealable and the Miami CLassic for the P99.

Maybe try some different brands of ammo. The gun should be 100%.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not familiar with S&B ammo... is it brass or steel or... other? And is it new, or factory reloads?

Depending on your cleaning habits: if you've never stripped the slide down, now's a good time. You might need to clean the channel behind the extractor and be sure there's no grit/grime in there preventing the arm from freely moving. Also give the chamber a good look to be sure it's shiny clean; i've noticed in my own cleaning that occasionally i'll have a really clean barrel, but the chamber itself will need some extra scrubbing.

I know it doesn't solve your problem to say "I've fired 600+ rounds without a single failure" - but mine has been 100% reliable. So I suspect yours has the same potential to be completely problem-free. :)

HTH,

thorn

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
ammo...http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/

A cleaning may be in order and sometimes it may be the ammo. Are you the first owner? Reason I ask I can see from the pic that you have an older slide by the serrations...did you buy it NIB? Either you are just getting past the breakin period or the gun may have way more than your 600 rds through it....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input friends,

This, being the AD date P99 that I was showing off last month, I know it was not NIB. The dealer/gunsmith, through whose FFL I brought it into state, did examine the gun and figured it had fewer than one hundred shots fired previously.

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5591

I cleaned and oiled it first and after each session of about two hundred shots. The barrel and chamber clean up beautifully. The S&B ammo I used this time did blacken my fingers considerably more than I have seen with other ammo so I suspect that after one hundred ninety rounds that the extractor was getting pretty dirty. I did clean it but I should probably go back in and make sure nothing is fouled. Since I still have a lot of this ammo left I think I?ll clean it every one hundred shots or so.
So far I take it down to this level for cleaning. Should I disassemble further?

Thanks again,

Russell

·
Registered
536 Posts
If that's as far as you've ever disassembled (ever), then remove the striker assembly (leave it put together, just pull from the slide) and the extractor arm. Basically, you want the slide's internals completely stripped out so you can scrub everywhere. (BTW, leave the sights on). There are a couple tiny springs, dont lose them.

Check JB's vids for reference to get the slide internals apart and back together. You'll only need a small slot screwdriver and a punch. Again, be careful with the pins and springs. They are tiny and want to get lost.

For normal cleaning, every 500-1000 rounds: your pic shows how far i take it apart. I'm only recommending a full slide strip due to the fact it was bought used, and your recent issue... it's not something you need to do every week.

thorn

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Thorn,

I got the striker assembly out, cleaned, and reinstalled. It took all ten of my thumbs to get the retaining plate back into position.:p
Now I'm ready to take this up toward the thousand-round mark in the next few weeks.

I finally got some snap-caps to exercise the DA trigger so it will smooth out better.

Loving it,:D

Russell

·
Registered
333 Posts
Excellent advice by Thorn.............. your Gunsmith doesn't have a crystal Ball and it would be almost impossible to tell if a pistol had been fired a 100 times or 500 times .....if cleaned properly. Heavier wear won't show up until thousands of rounds have been fired.

You are doing an excellent job ..........

Remember, these are duty guns.......... please don't waste alot of ammo just plinking with them. Look for some of my recent posts about running your pistol through some combat exercises. Those kinds of rountines will really show you what kind of dependabilty you can expect from your Walther.

The pistol will be running hot ........ almost too hot to touch the barrel.
When you can run her hard .....and she still keeps trucking along, you know you have something you can depend your life on.

200 Rds in 20 minutes .........is the course of fire my students shoot every night. It's a fast pace .......... lots of bullets.......lots of excitement ......and very practical rountine for close combat work. No distances greater than 25 feet to the target and none closer than 10 feet.

Have Fun....and be safe !!

JF.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sniper,

I have read about your drills and it sounds like a lot of fun along with being very demanding of gun and gunman. I'm a little old and arthritic to be joining a law enforcement or tactical program. I would also need lots more magazines in order to fire 200 in 20 minutes. I did load up ten magazines for my M1911 and put out 85 rounds in under ten minutes recently. That certainly heated things up and the gun performed flawlessly on that occasion. I would love to try that with my P99 but reloading two ten-round magazines nine times will slow me down. Last time out it took me about 45 minutes to run through the 200 rounds but I was taking my time on most shots and not really hurrying my reloads. Now you have me thinking about signing up for one of the pistol advanced classes at the outdoor range.

Thanks for the advice,

Russell

·
Registered
333 Posts
Russell,

Do what you can ......is all anybody can ask ;)

Woman are shooting my course of fire with only two magazines ........ and love the challange :D But you are correct, they are young women !! I don't suggest using more than two magazines anyway -- the pistol does need time to cool down and does so as you reload.

Yes, reloading takes more time than the actual shooting ........that's the pain of it all .......but it's life. I might suggest you buy one of those reloading devices that helps push the loaded rounds down into the magazine .....they seem to work very well ......and are not that expensive. Anything that can help you with your fingers ........ and gets the job done.

The reason I post about the rapid fire courses ....is not to heat up the gun, so much as it is to get you into a mindset of meeting an attacker with "Over-whelming force" . That's what I believe in ....... and what I teach.
No single shot or two shot response is going to win the day every time. And what we are talking about............leaves no prize for second place.
6 round bursts .........is the response I teach and works well with almost every [ duty ] pistol. You are not firing your weapon dry.......but the response is sufficient in most cases to get the job done. Even with most 1911's [ 45 Acp ] it gives you 2 more rounds to engage a second target if needed. Then a quick tactical reload, not taking your pistol off the target and you are ready to go again. Practicing these drills on the Range, will save your life at Home.

Make up your own courses of fire ....and have fun. Just build that "6 round burst response" into your motor memory [ 10 to 12 foot engagements ] .......... really no need to become a Ninja :D

Stay safe !!

JF.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A comment on S&B ammo. I went to a range who forced the use of there ammo, which was S&B. It has been the only ammo to ever make my walther P99, and a USP jam. That was well after 20K mark of ammo through the weapon.

As people said take out the striker. If you go through here you will see how to take the extractor apart as well, and although I had never after 22K rounds, it is simple and probably prudent. Also it isn't any harder then taking the back off the slide.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I took my slide apart at the 2000 round mark - mine was not dirty at all - I use CCI Blazer - in 9mm, it is not a dirty ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts