Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
Noob here looking at getting a P99 as my next gun.

I see you guys refering to some P99c's. I assume that is for "Compact" right?

Well I am thinking about a 9mm with the AS trigger system. Is the AS preferable to the QA?

I wanted to double check this, but the AS has a double action first long pull then single action for follow up shots, correct?

What is the difference with the QA?

This gun will probably be a bedside gun for the wife, and will replace a .357 wheeler. I chose the wheel gun for simplicity for the wife so she doesn't have to think about the operation of the gun. That is a big reason I am drawn to the P99AS. Just pick it up and pull. Plus much higher capacity in her hand if she needs. I was also drawn to Walther because of the quality and the reputation they have. Plus it is the best looking polymer gun out there.

Look forward to learning more about Walthers here and thanks in advance for the information.
Later,
JP

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, you're correct about both things: the P99c is the compact, and the AS trigger system is double-action/single-action. You can cock it and have the first pull be single-action if you like, and in fact when you chamber a round the gun will be in SA until you decock it via the button on the slide.

The QA is similar to a Glock's action. It is always partially cocked (except when decocked with the much smaller button on the slide, used only for storage and disassembly/cleaning) and every trigger pull will be the same. The travel distance and weight are not as long/hard as a P99 AS in DA mode.

The AS is generally preferred around here. I sold my QA and bought an AS, mainly because the AS has second-strike capability, whereas the QA does not. Once the QA's trigger has been pulled, if the round doesn't fire, pulling the trigger does nothing - you have to recock it. The AS striker will function every time you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The AS is double action the first shot, then the striker is cocked and the gun shoots single action for the follow up shots.

The QA trigger is more like a Glock, in that it is always a short travel double action trigger pull. The trigger pull and resistance is not supposed to change between shots. This is seen as a benefit by some but I have stayed with the AS model as I really like the single action trigger pull it provides.

I have three full size Walther P99's, all AS. The single action trigger is sweeeeet after about 300 rounds. I shoot my P99 AS as well as I shoot my $900 1911 pistol.

There are only three decisions to make in a full size P99:
1. 40 S&W or 9 MM. I have read that the 9 MM is a little more accurate in gun tests. However I shoot my 40 S&W better than my 9MM...one hole groups at 10 yards.
2. 1st Generation or 2nd Generation pistol. AKA pre 2004 and post 2004 models. The Pre 2004 models have a special light rail and there are only a few things that will attach to it. These lights and laser are expensive. The post 2004 models have a smith & wesson compatible open rail and accept a wider variety of lights/lasers that cost a lot less.
3. Trigger type.

By the way, there is a full double action only P99, I think that they call it a P990. Stay away from this. I have not read anything good about that trigger type but I have not shot this type of Walther.

Notably the first generation P99's were available with either black slides or titanium (silver colored) slides. The second generation guns only seem to come with black slides.

If you want night sights (glow in the dark sights), they seem to be an after market addition. Unlike other models, the Walther P99's do not seem to come from the factory with night sights.

I have seen some really great deals on Gunbroker and/or the classified sections of this forum. Of my three Walther P99's, two were bought used off the internet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The AS is generally preferred around here. I sold my QA and bought an AS, mainly because the AS has second-strike capability, whereas the QA does not. Once the QA's trigger has been pulled, if the round doesn't fire, pulling the trigger does nothing - you have to recock it. The AS striker will function every time you pull the trigger.
I never really understood that part. If the round doesn't fire, you still have to rack the slide to eject it and chamber a new round, at which point your QA will be ready to fire again or your AS will be in single action mode. What am I missing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

I agree the AS would be the trigger system I would want. It's common sense really, I think it has huge advantages over the QA system.

As far as 2nd gen or 1st gen, I will probably be buying new or near new anyway. I may put a laser on it eventually for the wifey. So the difference btwn the pre 04 and post 04 is good to know. I didn't know that.

I'm looking forward to getting one. First things first though, I'm getting my Springer 1911 back this week and had some custom work done on it. I can't wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the club.
I am biased. I have three P99s all in AS version...so guess what I prefer?
Jake,
I can't be talking to you. It appears you are from Kentucky :mad: and as you can tell by my user name I'm from LSU.

Seriously, I would agree with you that the AS seems like the common choice. I think the P99 would be a good gun for the wife in self defense, just pull the trigger like her revolver. But it will be so much easier for her to shoot as compared to the .357 wheel gun.

If I'm not mistaken I believe HK has a similar trigger system on their USP's. I was also thinking about getting one of those, but they aren't cheap. They cost more than my 1911 even after I had custom work done on it. I've read a lot of good things about the Walther and am confident it will be every bit the gun that the HK USP is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMHO: don't get the QA. The trigger flat out sucks. I hear nothing but good things about the AS. I'm not sure where the "short and consistent" ideas about it (the QA) are from, but my personal experience is that is long, gritty and heavy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ruckus3008

I stand corrected about the Titanium second generation pistols.

I see that this is a with a QA trigger model. If the pistol in the link is your person firearm, then perhaps you can chime in about the QA trigger.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I prefer my Walther P99 AS in 9mm over the .40 version. Less recoil and more capacity, also better accuracy, at least for me. I like the magazine release on the newer models better than on the older models as it is easier to use. I don't like the QA trigger configuration.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never really understood that part. If the round doesn't fire, you still have to rack the slide to eject it and chamber a new round, at which point your QA will be ready to fire again or your AS will be in single action mode. What am I missing?
There is a chance, albeit a small one, that a second strike to the primer will ignite the powder. I agree that if it doesn't, you'd have to re-rack the slide in both models, which would indeed set the QA to fire again.

I think it boils down to personal preference...I just like the fact that the AS will *always* strike when the trigger is pulled. I carried the QA for over a year as my CHL weapon, and never once felt unsafe or lacked confidence in it. Still, when the opportunity came to switch, I did so without hesitation. I should point out that the AS model was what I wanted from the start, but my gun dealer ordered a QA, and when it got here I was so anxious to have it that I didn't send it back.

As for the QA trigger itself, I found it to be shorter and lighter than the AS (I had the opportunity to shoot both side-by-side many times) and, once it had been broken in, not gritty at all. In fact, I tend to be slightly more accurate with the QA.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Jake,
I can't be talking to you. It appears you are from Kentucky and as you can tell by my user name I'm from LSU.

Well if it makes you feel any better I am a UofL fan, but from a KY point of view that was a GREAT game...:D

You really need to find someone who owns both so you can compare them...I am biased and I admit it...I really like the options that the AS provides. Longer DA and short and crisp DA...not like a 1911 but still very good with an excellent reset.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks fellas for the advice.
The AS will be my choice I believe. I need to find a shop that carries the full and compact and let the wife hold them both.

She really struggles pulling the DA trigger on my Ruger .357, is the P99 easier than a wheel gun trigger in DA. It's go to be, but I can't wait to get my paws on one.

Jake,
As for as the KY and LSU game, the KY guys were ready to play more than LSU. My boys flat got out played and I dare say out coached on the defense side. I was not impressed with the defensive scheme LSU put together. KY deserves all honors for that game. They played hard and kicked LSU's butt.

I just talke the wife and she said my Springer 1911 was delivered today:D . I hope I'm not disappointed in the custom work I had them do. I can't wait to fire it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks fellas for the advice.
The AS will be my choice I believe. I need to find a shop that carries the full and compact and let the wife hold them both.

Jake,
As for as the KY and LSU game, the KY guys were ready to play more than LSU. My boys flat got out played and I dare say out coached on the defense side. I was not impressed with the defensive scheme LSU put together. KY deserves all honors for that game. They played hard and kicked LSU's butt.
I too am from KY and think it was one heck of game. That being said, I think LSU is still the #1 team. KY played a great game, but out of 10 games between the two, I think LSU would win 7 or 8. KY just had the magic number that night.

As for the gun ... I can't find one in a local gun shop. I like the sound of the AS trigger over the QA, but I would like to get one in my hand to see how it feels. I know you can change out the back strap for a better fit, but I have thick, wide hands with short fingers. I played center in football and I could barely palm a football one handed. That just makes me uncomfortable buying a gun unseen over the internet or having a shop special order one for me. I need to find someone who has one, but as of right now, I can't find anyone local.

Good luck in your search, and good luck with LSU on the rest of the season.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a chance, albeit a small one, that a second strike to the primer will ignite the powder. I agree that if it doesn't, you'd have to re-rack the slide in both models, which would indeed set the QA to fire again.

I think it boils down to personal preference...I just like the fact that the AS will *always* strike when the trigger is pulled. I carried the QA for over a year as my CHL weapon, and never once felt unsafe or lacked confidence in it. Still, when the opportunity came to switch, I did so without hesitation. I should point out that the AS model was what I wanted from the start, but my gun dealer ordered a QA, and when it got here I was so anxious to have it that I didn't send it back.

As for the QA trigger itself, I found it to be shorter and lighter than the AS (I had the opportunity to shoot both side-by-side many times) and, once it had been broken in, not gritty at all. In fact, I tend to be slightly more accurate with the QA.
Ahh, I see. I didn't realize we were talking about a second strike on the same round. Thanks for clarifying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts