Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a very large guy, but I have large hands, so the P99c doesn't fit very well (even w/ the larger mag). The full size fits my hand perfectly, but I prefer the slightly smaller size (in general) of the compact for a variety of reasons.

I know you can get a grip extension for the P99c so it will take full sized mags. How much would that effect concealablity.

Here are the Noobie questions.........what makes a gun considered "compact"? Is it the length of the barrel or the length of the grip and capacity of the mag? If I went with the P99c w/ the grip extension, would I be throwing concealablity out the door? How much would the longer grip effect concealablity?

Thanks,
rjmquack

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I think that most people will tell U that it is the grip length is the biggest issue when trying to conceal something. Barrel length doesn't matter much when you have a gun on your waist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Shipwreck.....does this mean that most ppl who carry a compact, hold it with a two finger grip?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The grip length at question is the posterior grip edge. With a pinky extension, the concealability is unchanged. The pinky extension on the magazine gives a rest for the finger to go on without adding to backstrap length.

You see this with concealing a Commander sized 1911. The bobtail versions with a curved mainspring housing (lower 1/3 to 1/2 of backstrap) that is curved inward is supposed to conceal better than a standard backstrap that has a point. It is this lowest, most posterior aspect that effects concealability.

If you have to have full magazine extensions to shoot the P99c well. Then just conceal a full size P99 and sell the P99c to me;)

Honestly, if you have a full grip and shorter barrel, all you are saving is weight. In a good holster the P99c with full length magazines and adapters will imprint the same as a full size P99.

·
Registered
85 Posts
two finger hold

I have carried Sub compact guns (tuarus pt111 and Glock 26) for some years and my shooting technique is a 2 finger hold

I am not saying this is THE way to hold the gun, just the way I shoot, and I can do well enough that even I have 17 round magazines for the glock I seldom rest my pinky finger against the mag

I realize this come from the times I shot match pistol, when you really use middle and ring finger to establish a firm gun's grip and the pinky is just resting on the shelf provided by the anatomical grip, since is too short to provide a good contact.

I have had mag extensions in both compacts, but it is more an aesthetic add-on than function-driven.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Here are the Noobie questions.........what makes a gun considered "compact"?
It's lenght, width and height. While the P99 is considered a full size it is compact compared to many service pistols and the P99c could be considered a sub-compact by the same virtue. I really like my P99c. I have the grip extension but as has been said it is more an aesthetic add-on than function-driven. The pinky mag extensions are the way to go and then just practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input.....I think I'll have to go back to my local gun shop. Perhaps when I held the compact last time, it was with the flat bottom mag. I'll make sure this time it has the pinkie mag in it.....if it feels good, we may have a winner.

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts