Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help:

I need more spare mags. Up to now have always bought original Walther branded mags and had no problems.
I've seen/participated in similar discussions at other forums about 1911/AR-15/Hi-power etc. aftermarket mags but I'm hoping people here can give me experience with PPK & PPK/S mags.

Questions...

1. I read somewhere that Mec-gar makes the Walther branded mags for Walther and also sells the EXACT same mags more cheaply with the mec-gar mark...
Is this true???

2. USA brand mags for 1911's are garbage and I wouldn't even use one for a paperweight but I met a guy at the the range about 2 years ago who was using USA mags in his PPK and agreed that for a 1911, they are junk but never had problems with thier mags for PPK's...
Anybody here agree or disagree???

Any other brands out there --- good or bad.

I don't plan to carry any non-Walther mags. They will be for range use only so ABSOLUTE 100% reliability is not needed but if 50% of the mags jam 50% of the time, none of them would be worth a dime.

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in the market for some PPK/S stainless factory or Mec-Gar magazines as well..
Mec-Gar makes Beretta Magazines & they are top quality, I'm not sure if they make the Factory Walther Magazines though.
CDNN has the blued Mec-Gars listed for $19.99 & the factory for $18.99 but there out of stock on the OE walther mags..
Here's the LINK CDNN Walther Magazines

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (walrus @ Dec. 27 2005,12:52)]They are the oem mag maker.

THANKS!!!

That's what I was hoping for. Now I can save a few $$$ and still have some peace of mind.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll be lookin for a couple magazines this weekend at the Gunshow, If Not I'll order the mec-gar from CDNN
B92

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got an Extra Magazine at the Gunshow Friday.
It is a Mec-Gar blued with the finger extention
The finger piece is nicer than Walthers, It's smooth with no sharp edges etc. It also appears to be made exactly like the S&W/walther one, The MecGars finger piece has three pieces to it were the Walther only has two.
I also note that the new Mecgar won't hold the slide open when cycled by hand like my other two Walther mags will?
It is a bit tighter to install too..
I'll give final results after a range trip with it..
I paid $24 cash at the gunshow, CDNN has em for $19.99
B92

·
Registered
178 Posts
There were a few burs on the edges of the follower that kept it from coming up just .060" as compaired to one of my walther mags, I smoothed the burs out and now the Meg-Gar will hold the slide open every time..
The handy Digi-Calipers earn thier keep again!!
I also smoothed & tapered the face of the trigger while I had the dremel out, Then brushed the sides to look almost factory except for the shiny face!!
Dr Dremel to the rescue..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Those would make great range mags IF they work
I wouldn't trust my life to them though
Original equipment Walther Only For Carry..
My 2 cents Worth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts