Walther Forums banner

801 - 819 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
We tend to have plenty of mags for every carry gun we have. That way when at a training class we spend more time on the line pulling triggers than time at the tables loading magazines. :cool: (Never enough magazines!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
3rd Gen Smiths -

5904 - picked up in '90/'91. My first auto. Bought at AZ Firearms and Collectible - to this day, still my "Go-to" LGS.
6906 - picked up about 5 yrs ago off a well known auction site.
3913NL - Walked into Glockmeister (Mesa, AZ) a couple years ago and saw this sitting in the case for $250. (They were going for a lot higher on auction sites and they weren't exactly easy to find.) Probably my greatest "by chance" find. Also, favorite gun I never shoot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
S&W 66-2: 4" barrel; .357 - My 1st handgun bought new in 1985 when I turned 21. (I wanted a S&W 469, but my father advised me to not get any barrel shorter than 4" for my 1st gun.)

S&W 39-2 - Purchased for nostalgic reasons about 3 yrs ago. My father was a career small town southern IL cop. As a kid in the early 70's I remember when his dept switched from the model 19 revolvers to the 39-2. (He passed in Oct. 2010.) I have still not fired this gun. I told myself, the first time I shoot this has to be on his birthday. Since purchase, something seems to always happen on that one day of the yr that prevents me from getting to the range. Maybe this year?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I took a chance on a revolver. I bought it from a widow who was clearing out her husband’s collection. It looked almost unused but the hand wasn’t functioning quite right. I took a chance and bought it. Bought a new repro hand from Numrich and tried to install it but soon saw the fitment was going to require someone with actual skills, so I took it to my gunsmith. Just got it back, and it feels good. Still need to get it to the range. It’s a 1978 H&R 925 “Defender” in .38 S&W. I’m a pushover for a top-break, and the barrel profile looks just too cool.
I am also a sucker for a good top break. Rebuilt a Mk5 (and “cut”) Webley a few years back as a favor for a friend. The English could really make an overly complicated contraption for a wheelgun, but dang did that thing purr when you dropped a moon clip of ACP in it and clipped it shut. The top break being right by your shooting thumb was convenient, and kicking out the empty hulls was fun. So much better than trying to diddle with the side swing and a speed loader.

I won’t get into the whole thing of a loading gate with a Single Action, as I am also soft in the heart for a good SA. The bird’s head kinda grip, and how it puts the cylinder so far forward... Just fits my paws better.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Referring to dueling pistols as "fun guns" 😂
I almost had coffee come out my nose when I read that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
DuberAlles: You've got a world class firearms collection! In many, ways you're the new "walther king." That said (and not counting your amazing P-5 collection) I've noted that you seem not to be interested in the PP series. Is it because of caliber? (I noted you posted a Sig P230/232 that's part of your collection which is really, in my view, the best evolution of the PP.)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Referring to dueling pistols as "fun guns" 😂
I almost had coffee come out my nose when I read that.
I received the Charles Moore as a gift with the only request from the friend that gave it to me, that I would take the gun to a couple competitions. I did as he requested. The Pedersoli Charles Moore and the Le Page are really fun to shoot and as accurate as many modern service guns.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
DuberAlles: You've got a world class firearms collection! In many, ways you're the new "walther king." That said (and not counting your amazing P-5 collection) I've noted that you seem not to be interested in the PP series. Is it because of caliber? (I noted you posted a Sig P230/232 that's part of your collection which is really, in my view, the best evolution of the PP.)
I still have a ways to go before reaching that status. I have a feeling the significant other would kick my butt before getting to "king" status. 😆
After handling and shooting a few PPs/PPKs, I've found them a little too small for my XL hands. The SIG Sauer P230/P232 has a similar appearance to a PP, is slightly larger, and has a longer barrel that helps in getting the velocity of the 380acp up to a level where expansion of hollow points is more reliable.
I also like the SIGLight night sights on the P232 I happened upon a few weeks ago.
I'll add a PP at some point. No rush at the moment, too many interesting firearms in the current market.👍

Reactions: Depenau

·
Registered
109 Posts
The SIG 230/232 is an outstanding pistol. I've owned several and I'm always on the hunt for a well taken care of SL.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The SIG 230/232 is an outstanding pistol. I've owned several and I'm always on the hunt for a well taken care of SL.
I agree, would have liked an SL better, this blued version and I just happened to cross paths first.
Wasn't looking for anything in 380acp (or SIG Sauer) when I saw it, but this clean example of a quality German gun just caught my eye, seeing the full factory package pulled from the back room had me reaching for my wallet. 👍
I've learned NOT to go home and think about it when this happens. Last year I left this same Cabela's to mull over a +90% HK P9S 9x19 full package (Priced @ $750.00). Went back the next day, it was gone.

Reactions: Depenau

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Last year I left this same Cabela's to mull over a +90% HK P9S 9x19 full package (Priced @ $750.00). Went back the next day, it was gone.
You didn't miss anything. The P9S wasn't HK's finest hour. The more "classic" HK's that I buy, the less I like them as a manufacturer. They must make great machineguns because their first three decades building pistols was a failure.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You didn't miss anything. The P9S wasn't HK's finest hour. The more "classic" HK's that I buy, the less I like them as a manufacturer. They must make great machineguns because their first three decades building pistols was a failure.
This is along the lines of what LSPotato posted when I mentioned the P9S too.
He told me I wasn't missing much.

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Agreed on the stock PP versus the P230, but get a PP with the box magazine and nobody has mitts that are too large for a full grip. Pair that with the .22 version and you have one of the sweetest range experiences ever. My $0.02

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Agreed on the stock PP versus the P230, but get a PP with the box magazine and nobody has mitts that are too large for a full grip. Pair that with the .22 version and you have one of the sweetest range experiences ever. My $0.02
I've yet to shoot a PP with a box mag. I would think it would be a much better shooting experience.

I shot 22 back in my adolescent years, got away from it when I picked up my first 9mm handgun, a Beretta 92 FS.
It just dawned on me, this may be why I like the P5s so much. 🤔

801 - 819 of 819 Posts