Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search for this, but did not find anything on it. Is there any manufacture of barrels that make a .357Sig barrel for a Walther 99c? I have conversions for my Sigs, so it seems possible for this, maybe?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
No, there is no barrel available for the 357 Sig. There will never be a barrel for one. The reason is that the 9mm & 40 S&W are both designed to operate at 35,000 PSI. The 9+P is rated for 38,500 PSI. +P+ is anything over 38,500. Walther says +P is OK but NO +P+. Gun is NOT designed for such pressure.

The 357 Sig has a pressure of 42,000 PSI. You risk a KABOOM in the gun if you tried the 357 Sig in that frame / slide combination. No manufacturer will make such a barrel giving the Lawyers some work.

The 357 Sig is one of those rounds that in reality isn't such a hot idea. Anything it does can be accomplished by a 9X19 with the proper bullet. Why not use a 45 +P? It hits harder than a 357 Sig. Or just use what's been good for 109 years, the 9X19.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks M E

I have 9's and .45's and some .357's so just was wondering. Yes, my Sig 220 in .45 is my grab gun.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
There were some .357Sig barrels made. To quote the manufacturer, "it wasn't a good combo". I suspect M_E_'s explanation touches on why.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks M E

I have 9's and .45's and some .357's so just was wondering. Yes, my Sig 220 in .45 is my grab gun.
Fantastic BIG guns!! I have 3 of them. 2 are the old totally German made P220s and one all stainless P220. Not bad but it was a step backwards.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Dep, you do know the thread you linked to is almost a decade old, right? August 21, 2002, 03:50 PM

We wouldn't have made it a sticky if it weren't true...

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Dep, you do know the thread you linked to is almost a decade old, right? August 21, 2002, 03:50 PM

We wouldn't have made it a sticky if it weren't true...
I notice it is also about a full size barrel and not the compact. But that doesn't mean you CAN'T get them. It WILL cost you big $$$$, but a custom order from Bar-Sto is not out of the question. It will take some up-front cash to get it done. The REAL question is, is it worth buying? I have a post in another thread asking if it's worth getting a .357 SIG barrel for my P226.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy, I did not mean to get in anyone's sand box. I just wanted to see if a barrel could be had (and not for a fortune or something wildcat dangerous)!! I had heard a rumor about it, and tried to see if it was true.

Now, can't really tell if there are some, or not, or available, or even safe. Normally can get good info on what questions I inquire about, but....now...

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Seems that a call or email to Bar-Sto might be in order to see whether a special custom job can be had, and for whatever price.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Seems that a call or email to Bar-Sto might be in order to see whether a special custom job can be had, and for whatever price.
Done. Months ago. They made it very clear that they had no interest in ever doing it again. They were the ones who said that, in their experience, the P99 and .357Sig round were not a good combo.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Done. Months ago. They made it very clear that they had no interest in ever doing it again. They were the ones who said that, in their experience, the P99 and .357Sig round were not a good combo.
Oh well...guess folks will just have to buy a SIG P226 if they want a dual caliber gun.:D
From what I've heard from others on the forum, the .357 SIG isn't worth the investment anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

I called or emailed every barrel maker I could find, and asking if they would take a pre-paid minimum order and they all said some variation of 'no'. Whether it was Bar-Sto's "not with a gun to our heads" answer or "we're too busy", the answer was polite, but consistent.

I went after it when it became the trending topic in the PPQ forum, thinking with a new customer base, we'd have a shot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion, I have a Bar-Sto barrel in .357 Sig for my P99. I also installed a Springco recoil reducer, which IMO really works. Although I don't shoot it a lot, I haven't had any problems (I know, "just wait, the problems will come, cracked frame, etc."), however, I'm not sure that you gain anything with the .357 Sig that can't be found in 9mm +P or .38 Super.
Speer's Gold Dot 124 grain +P is a 1220 fps load with 410 ft/lbs of muzzle energy (ME). A 1350 fps loading in a .38 Super, with a 124 grain JHP, yields 502 ft/lbs of ME; the same bullet in a 1450 fps load in .357 Sig gives 584 ft/lbs of ME, but with a much more blast and recoil. I shoot the .38 Super in an all steel Combat Commander and it's much more manageable than the .357 Sig in the P99. (Note: the all time standard for self defense, the .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP at 1250 fps gives 434 ft/lbs of ME).
Other than the novelty of having a dual caliber gun, there's really nothing to recommend the .357 Sig over either the 9mm or .38 Super.

Reactions: Deputy

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion, I have a Bar-Sto barrel in .357 Sig for my P99. I also installed a Springco recoil reducer, which IMO really works.

I'm not sure that you gain anything with the .357 Sig that can't be found in 9mm +P or .38 Super. with much more blast and recoil..
I bet with the .357Sig, that Springco makes a huge difference and if you're shooting it in a 1st Gen, then it may well save your frame. I don't think the 2nd/3rd Gen guns would have that problem.

You named the important thing you gain with .357Sig...MUCH more blast & recoil! :D

The first time I shot .357Sig, literally the first time I pulled the trigger, the entire range took a step back from the line and looked over to see what I was shooting. :) It's just soooo much FUN!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you want more blast & recoil just buy a 1911 in 10mm Automatic, it is way safer and more fun! Also in 10mm you have the option to load it up or down, what a great round!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts