Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying another P99, .40 S&W, military model, but the seller says it has no german proof marks, so I assume it is S&W made instead of German made.

My question is, is the genuine German made better quality? If so, how?

Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beats me. Try it and let us know? ;)

Some think the materials S&W uses are "better", the through hardened stainless steel w Melonite finish. Melonite is very similar to Tenifer BTW as far as performance.

If S&W does it right, should be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Smith & Wesson made the slide and barrel only on many of the P99's in 40 S&W with the OD Military frames. That is why they lack the German proof marks. The frames are made in Germany. I have sold, handled and fired many of these guns. While I may prefer a Walther to be all German made, Smith & Wesson has been around a long time and I would seriously doubt there is any difference in the quaility or specifications.
Others will say its not as good, but I would say, show me the proof and I'm willing to learn. I'm sure you will be very satisfied with this or any other P99 you could buy, because its a fantastic gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Val,

That is reassuring, and much appreciated. My 9mm is genuine German, so I thought I better ask and see what the difference might be.

Oh yes, I see from your Sig line you just sold me some P99 mags at an incredible price...thank you, it was much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts