Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I understand that Walther will phase out the PPQ line, to be replaced by the PDP line. However, they already are not selling the PPQ45 anymore, nor is there a PDP in 45 acp either. So it appears Walther is simply no longer producing anything in 45 ACP.
Luckily I already have a PPQ45 that I am happy with. But concerning a friend who is looking into 45 ACP pistols as a new gun buyer...what do I tell him? Go with another company?
What was Walther thinking here?

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
So I understand that Walther will phase out the PPQ line, to be replaced by the PDP line. However, they already are not selling the PPQ45 anymore, nor is there a PDP in 45 acp either. So it appears Walther is simply no longer producing anything in 45 ACP.
Luckily I already have a PPQ45 that I am happy with. But concerning a friend who is looking into 45 ACP pistols as a new gun buyer...what do I tell him? Go with another company?
What was Walther thinking here?
I don't think the PPQ45 has been discontinued. I believe Walther has stated the PPQ45 will continue to be produced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, but it doesn’t appear to be on their current website. Not to mention, assuming that it’s still actually being produced, it will be phased out anyway by the end of the year with no current plans for a replacement with the PDP as I understand it.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
I see, but it doesn’t appear to be on their current website. Not to mention, assuming that it’s still actually being produced, it will be phased out anyway by the end of the year with no current plans for a replacement with the PDP as I understand it.
I don't recall Walther saying the PPQ45 will be phased out by the end of the year.

The 9mm and .40 PPQs yes.

I just took a quick peek at the waltherarms.com website and the PPQ45 was there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see it now. You have to do a search function from the top menu bar to find it, it’s not on the regular dropdown menu with all the guns one by one by model type, in the ppq section.
well thanks, at least it’s still somewhere, for now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would be curious to know the sales numbers on the PPQ .45. I don't think it was a big seller.

Reactions: nyarlotep

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
I see it now. You have to do a search function from the top menu bar to find it, it’s not on the regular dropdown menu with all the guns one by one by model type, in the ppq section.
well thanks, at least it’s still somewhere, for now.
I think it is in it's own section, not in the "regular" PPQ section.

I'd love to see Walther come out with a large frame PDP to accommodate 45acp and 10mms. Who knows if that will happen.

I will say I own a PPQ45 and like it. If you manage to pick one up I doubt you will be disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
I would be curious to know the sales numbers on the PPQ .45. I don't think it was a big seller.
As far as I know Walther doesn't make those figures public. It would be interesting to see.

Walther has always seemed to me a company that made great products but had limited production capacity.

Unlike Sig or Smith, they seem to focus on their core money makers and not cater much to niches.

Maybe the answer is finally get production up and running in the USA so they are better able to cater to more niche US market segments.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not good. 45 acp is my favorite round to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
45 acp is my favorite round to shoot.
I'm surprised that I don't like it more than I do. My Colt Gold Cup .45 is one of my favorite handguns to shoot but when it comes to the bigger cartridges I prefer .357 Magnum and 10mm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure what is going on with the PPQ in 45. Why I say that is because it is very high priced on all the gun sale forums compared to the 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Not sure what is going on with the PPQ in 45. Why I say that is because it is very high priced on all the gun sale forums compared to the 9mm.
Maybe Walther is trying to clear out the PPQ 45 inventory to make room for an upcoming PDP 45.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A representative from Walther had answered at least a part of my question that I emailed them a few days ago, and said that “As of right now, we only have plans to manufacture the PDP in 9mm”
He didn’t answer my other question, if they indeed plan to phase out the PPQ45 this year, after I had stated that that was my understanding.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
“As of right now, we only have plans to manufacture the PDP in 9mm”
If Walther announces a PDP 45 before it's ready then people will wait for it to become available and the stock of PPQ 45's will sit unsold. It's called the Osborne effect.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The retail prices of the PPQ 45 have gone mostly unchanged in the last few years.
There's a few NIB PPQ 45s on GB with "buy now" prices in the $600 to $650 range.
I paid over $700 for my PPQ 45 back in 2017. The $100 rebate reduced that price though.
I haven't paid much attention to PPQ 9mm prices. Is the price gap possibly due to a drop in the market price of the 9mm version?

·
Registered
...waiting for a SF Q45 OR.
43 Posts
A .45 acp PDP would be nice, if only to have an updated PPQ45 out there.

I'd like to see a .45 acp SF in full or carry size, maybe even a regular "metal/alloy" framed one even...

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
15 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped making stuff in .45; they have to make different tooling for the larger frame etc, and the only market is the US, and then just a portion of the US Walther buyers. It's probably not cost-effective.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts