Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Walther America (S&W). I ordered two 15 round magazines and asked them if they were ever going to get and 16 rounders again. They told me that they had just gotten word from Walther that no more 16 rounders would be made any more. They did not know why.

Just FYI

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought they only had problems with the .40 mags? I never heard of any 9mm mag problems but of course that doesn't mean they haven't happened.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The feed lips would be different as well. I was actually referring to the 10 round .40 mags having problems. I haven't heard of any full cap mag problems.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my 2 15 round magazines today. That was extremely fast service, especially with a holiday.

Both functioned perfectly today also.

Of curious note, the magazines have a rib down both sides now. They also feel a lot sturdier than the older magazines. The witness holes are on the back of the magazine with a 5 and 15 hole on the left and a 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 on the right side.

On the front they are stamped "Restricted For Law Enforcement"

Very nice magazines!

·
Registered
39 Posts
P88: Do you have any photographs of these magazines? They sound very nice. I'm curious to take a look at the ribs.

Thanks for the heads up on the 16 rounders... I ordered one of their 16 round magazines back in September. I couldn't find any local gun shops which had any, or were about to get any, so thought I would order one from WaltherAmerica (at MSRP) until I could pick up a few later at retail.

The 16 round magazine had witness holes on the left side (at 8, 12, and 16), and another set of witness holes on the right side (at 5, 10, and 15).

But the interesting thing was when I removed the plastic floorplate. When the plastic piece slid out, there was a small cutout piece of metal which hooked onto the bottom of the spring. It looks like this part is meant to distribute the force of the spring on the plastic floorplate.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can take a picture, but I'm not sure where I can find a good host site. The one I've used in the past has been down for a while.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Send them to me. Ken and I can update the FAQ with the new pics!

[email protected]

James

·
Registered
39 Posts
danbh: I'm not so sure anymore... when I ordered my 16 round magazine, I called both WaltherAmerica and Smith&Wesson (really same people).

Both places told me they are not quite the same, and that they couldn't guarantee reliability using a P99 magazine in a SW99 and vice versa.

What I'm really interested in finding out is why they made a change... i.e. whether the 15 round magazines are supposed to be more reliable than the 16 round ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts