Walther Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Loose here!

Well hit the 3,000 round mark and this what it got me, a loose feed ramp. shown in pic barrel help upside down showing feed ramp falling back showing a gap.

1013172130.jpg

1013172129.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well hit the 3,000 round mark and this what it got me, a loose feed ramp. shown in pic barrel help upside down showing feed ramp falling back showing a gap.

View attachment 58914

View attachment 58922
At least in my case Walther was quick to replace the barrel on my 9mm PPX. However, due to Walther's recent "$100 Rebate" and my desire to get a couple of higher end Walthers, I sold my two PPX models (9 and 40) and purchased two PPQ models of the same caliber. I never had a loose feed ramp issue with my 40, but then probably only fired a couple of hundred rounds through it. The 9 developed an open feed ramp after fewer rounds if memory serves. Walther did replace the barrel, and I had no further problems with it. On the other hand, both pistols never had any feeding related issues at all, loose feed ramp or not. Still, I think Walther made a poor decision using that two piece ramp, if for no other reason that the publicity they are getting here.

Walther continues to make some very fine firearms in my opinion, but they did get a bit of a black eye with the PPX and maybe the Creed. I haven't been following the Creed's sales and reviews, so I'm ignorant of how that model is doing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

View attachment 58914

View attachment 58922
How old is it? I ask, because MAYBE Walther has since 'fixed' with a manufacturing change - like adding a weld step to the press fit. Or, this is a QC problem and some will have the problem and some will not.

I think they did it to save manufacturing time/money and it makes sense in a way, because it seems not to be in a high stress area like the barrel lug. On the surface it seems better than the HiPower barrel being two pieces at the chamber.

I think it is useful to keep in mind that the M16 had significant issues at the start. Even today, when some manufacturer steps outside the Technical Data Package (TDP) it puts the user at risk of an unreliable weapon. It took Colt years to perfect (as much as possible) manufacture of the rifle - which used new materials and techniques.

Walther MAY have a real winner - but only time will tell us. They may be THROUGH the problems and know the fix, or maybe not.

I do think the trigger action is quite nice.

·
Registered
772 Posts
By the time you're welding the feed ramp onto the other two parts, any sort of cost savings from using a 3 piece barrel goes out the window.

·
Registered
159 Posts
How old is it? I ask, because MAYBE Walther has since 'fixed' with a manufacturing change - like adding a weld step to the press fit. Or, this is a QC problem and some will have the problem and some will not.

I think they did it to save manufacturing time/money and it makes sense in a way, because it seems not to be in a high stress area like the barrel lug. On the surface it seems better than the HiPower barrel being two pieces at the chamber.

I think it is useful to keep in mind that the M16 had significant issues at the start. Even today, when some manufacturer steps outside the Technical Data Package (TDP) it puts the user at risk of an unreliable weapon. It took Colt years to perfect (as much as possible) manufacture of the rifle - which used new materials and techniques.

Walther MAY have a real winner - but only time will tell us. They may be THROUGH the problems and know the fix, or maybe not.

I do think the trigger action is quite nice.
My pistol that developed a loose feed ramp was bought about mid-2016. And the replacement barrel I got from Walther CS was done about July 2017. The two barrels looked identical, but I did not shoot the new barrel more than about 50 rounds before I sold it. So I don't know if it would have loosened. But I'm pretty sure nothing has changed on the manufacturing of the PPX/Creed barrels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I shipped the barrel out to Walther, just hope it doesn't take no 3 weeks or longer to get this issue fixed. I am just kinda upset that they marketed the Creed as a upgrade to the PPX but still used the same crappy ass barrel, which they knew had issues in the PPX line of pistols.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I think it's more accurately described as a "change" from the PPX, rather than an "upgrade".

I've said this before, and I still think it should be done... to save the Walther brand, Umarex should take all the non Ulm guns, PPX/Creed, P22, PK380, CCP and whatever ones I've missed, and rebrand them with another name, say umm.... Arminus, that more accurately describes their place and intent in the Umarex line, and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
No matter, it's still a low end, low quality, entry level pistol and should never have been sold under the Walther banner.

You don't see HK making bottom feeder stuff now do you?

·
Registered
772 Posts
No matter, it's still a low end, low quality, entry level pistol and should never have been sold under the Walther banner.

You don't see HK making bottom feeder stuff now do you?
Aside from the feed ramp issue, what are you seeing that makes the Creed/PPX so "low quality"? Seems like the PPS has more problems over all.

It seems like you could compare the difference in price between a PPQ and Creed as being similar to a P30 and VP9.

On the specific feed ramp issue, while I would also find it annoying, I have to wonder if it does matter at all - kind of like variable slide to frame fit. Have any feed ramps come off or caused feeding or cycling problems?

Looking at how the feed ramp is pinned onto the barrel block, it would seem likely to me that the fit between them would be somewhat variable. Especially if the fit is predicated on clearing both the barrel and the barrel block without hand fitting or very precise machining.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aside from the feed ramp issue, what are you seeing that makes the Creed/PPX so "low quality"? Seems like the PPS has more problems over all.

It seems like you could compare the difference in price between a PPQ and Creed as being similar to a P30 and VP9.

On the specific feed ramp issue, while I would also find it annoying, I have to wonder if it does matter at all - kind of like variable slide to frame fit. Have any feed ramps come off or caused feeding or cycling problems?

Looking at how the feed ramp is pinned onto the barrel block, it would seem likely to me that the fit between them would be somewhat variable. Especially if the fit is predicated on clearing both the barrel and the barrel block without hand fitting or very precise machining.

I own a number of Walthers, including a P99, PPQ, wartime P-38, and a Creed. The Creed is well made, WAY beyond what the low pricing would lead one to believe. There seems to be a segment of the Walther community who have blinders on, and refuse to believe this possible.

Despite their adamant,knee jerk rebuking, I'm willing to wager that many of these armchair experts have never even examined and fired one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I own a number of Walthers, including a P99, PPQ, wartime P-38, and a Creed. The Creed is well made, WAY beyond what the low pricing would lead one to believe. There seems to be a segment of the Walther community who have blinders on, and refuse to believe this possible.

Despite their adamant,knee jerk rebuking, I'm willing to wager that many of these armchair experts have never even examined and fired one.
I think they are comparable to the old Ruger P85, which was almost completely made of cast parts to bring the production cost down. No one ever complained that the Rugers didn't hold up or were unreliable.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Well that day at the range I was having some FTF & FTE issues, I got the range days mixed up, since I shot all weekend that weekend. Friday it was fine but after Saturdays shoot & clean I noticed the feed ramp was loose & it was on Saturday I had issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
loose feed ramp

I don't have a Creed but have the PPX. Same barrel everyone says. When we first started to hear about the loose ramp, ol' 1911 said,"It looks like a job for JB Weld". Last week I noticed that there was just a little "play" in the feed ramp on my barrel. Worked up a little JB and with a piece of shim stock packed some JB Weld in space around the ramp, neatly not smeared. I let it set up for a couple days and went out and put 50 rds. thru it and it is still snug. Only time will tell how it holds up but it beats waiting for something to go wrong and sending to Ft. Smith. Being a tinkerer, I couldn't resist trying. Quick

·
Registered
159 Posts

I agree. I have had two PPX models, and now own a PPS M2 and PPQs in 9/40/45. They are ALL terrific pistols, though I did have an issue with the feed ramp on my 9mm PPX. But it always shot very accurately, had a terrific trigger, and just felt good in my hand. The loose feed ramp did not affect the pistols function in any way, but I didn't shoot that many rounds through it once the barrel ramp was loose. I sold my PPX models shortly after Walther replaced the 9mm PPX barrel, but only to finance the purchase of the same caliber PPQ models. In my opinion, there was little difference in the "quality" of the PPX/PPQ models. And I have have zero problems with my PPS, which was a daily EDC for quite some time.

So I remain a Walther fan. It's a fine addition to my H&K VP9 and P30 models, and my various Sig models. :cool:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts