Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and need some help from fellow Walther owners. Last time at the range, I'd squeeze the trigger, the striker fell, and there was no bang. Upon checking the round I found no dent in the primer. This happened several times. I've had zero malfunctions with my .40 P99 up to now w/~1500 rounds through it. Anyone know what the cause may be?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I'm not a gunsmith but I'd start by taking out the striker assembly and seeing if it looks like it's intact. Are you sure the end of the striker hasn't broken off? Does the indicator at the rear of the pistol move all the way back in?

Given the fairly simple mechanics of the pistol, it doesn't seem like there could be a lot of possible causes. Let us know what you find out.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I got my first P99 it shot fine. Then I cleaned and lubed it. Trying to get rid of some of the “grit” in the trigger I over lubed the striker spring. On my next outing with the gun I had several light strikes. Thinking it might have been the ammo I continued to shoot. Admiring the second strike capabilities of the P99, I would look at every other failure to fire. The striker was hitting the primer, but not as hard…
After my shooting session and during my cleaning, I decided I might have over lubed it. This time I gave it what you might refer to as a “normal” lube job. Rather sparing by comparison. The trigger was even smoother and I have had no FTF’s since then. Just had to much gunk in the striker spring area!

Yours may not have anything to do with my experience, just figured it might be a good time to share.

Sounds more mechanical, like what Navy87Guy was saying, plus I have to ask about the ammo???

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Are these reloads? If so this may have something to do with it.

Take the striker assembly apart and see if you have something blocking the striker hole.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In most firearms a hammer is released and hits the firing pin that transfers the energy to the primer... In the Glock and the Walther, a spring is tightened then released by the trigger causing the "striker" to transfer the energy to the primer...

Basically; firing pin=striker

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would have replied sooner but had trouble getting onto site. Anyhoo...the striker does move all the way back in, there is nothing blocking the striker hole, and the ammo was Winchester white box 180 gr FMJ from Wally World. I plan on removing the striker assembly tomorrow. Should be interesting as I have never done that before. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
thanks for the explanations

The striker is the pin (firing pin) that hits the primer (primer= needle that hits the bullet right)

ha ha a i feel like a 7 grade kid lol

it never is late for learning truth

·
Registered
539 Posts
The primer is the shock sensitive part of the case that ignites the powder after it gets hit by the firing pin/hammer/striker. It's the part of the case that gets replaced when reloading.

Sounds like you need a 'primer' on English gunnery terms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts