Discussion Starter #1
14 days left.

How much do you think they'll go for?

Where's a good place to pick em up?

WOW I'm excited!

·
Registered
130 Posts
According to Smith & Wesson, they'll be selling them for about $35.00 MSRP. I plan to wait about 6-8 weeks until the initial rush slows down a bit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Earl's Repair Service, Inc.
437R Chandler Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Phone: 978-851-2656

The above folks have their MSRP on 9mm and .40 magazines at $35.00 also.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Despite the media's suggestions to the contrary, what will be available soon (now?) are standard capacity magazines. That is - the magazines that were designed for the handgun. Up until recently we were stuck with reduced capacity magazines.

Sounds like a fine point, but I don't see the need to parrot the anti-gun propaganda.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueiron @ Aug. 30 2004,2:04)]Earl's Repair Service, Inc.
437R Chandler Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876

EWww!

NO THANKS.

I found my own source.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's a little more understandable with the 9mm, but I can't see why people would spend so much money on a standard (12rd) magazine for the P99 (or most any handgun) in .40cal. 10 round mags can be had for $15. Are 2 more rounds worth $25? I can have another mag for less! Just my 0.02

·
Registered
130 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (green5 @ Sep. 12 2004,7:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueiron @ Aug. 30 2004,2:04)]Earl's Repair Service, Inc.
437R Chandler Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876

EWww!

NO THANKS.

I found my own source.
It sounds like you had a less than ideal experience with Earl's. Is there something they are known for? My dealings with them have been favorable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm being offered LEO mags by dealers. Is it ok for civilians to now buy/own LEO mags? Should I wait for mags that are not marked LEO? Has the BATF issued a statement regarding this?
When it comes to my CCW permit I'm very careful not to risk losing it!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Yes, it's legal.  When the law expired, the marked full capacity mags ceased being LEO mags. Now they're just mags with writing on them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Check your state laws as well. Here in NY, we are still limited to 10 round magazines by a state law similar to the AWB

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe I get this wrong, but I assume that standard mags should cost less than ones with limited capacity. Again, I am nor sure how the 10-rounders are made, but I was under impression that it requires some kind of modification (like that tall floor pad) to limit the capacity (unless MecGar was actually manufacturing the 10-rounders directly). In any case, the standard mags cannot be more expensive than the others. If I was able to buy factory 10-rounders from Kiesler for $28.00, that should be the price for the standard ones. I gonna wait, $40 sounds too much for me.

Val

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I think you're focusing on the wrong thing in your analysis of prices.  -It's not that either version of the mag costs significantly more to make, it is the old issue of supply and demand.  

-Most states do not have a limit on magazine capacity.  People who have had the ten rounders are dumping them and replacing them with full capacity magazines.  The ten rounders in the various supply pipelines are probably far greater in number than the demand for them in the few states that limit magazine capacity to ten rounds.  That excess of ten rounders and the low interest in them has caused their prices to fall.  -As anyone in retail will tell you, it's better to move an item out, even at a loss, than to clutter up valuable space and tie up capital with an item that will not sell.  

I'd expect the full capacity magazines to sell briskly at $35-$40.  -In all candor, after being asked for a decade to spend around $70 for pre-ban, often used specimens of these magazines, $35-$40 a mag is a good deal.  -You are of course free to wait for the price to drop to $28, but it might be a very long while, if ever, before that happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts