Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate that reply

·
Registered
821 Posts
Depends on the night sights...

Some will require the purchase of the "glock front sight tool" to secure the front sight.

I've read that some others have been able to use a standard socket, perhaps modifying it so it'll fit.

Regardless of what you do, why not throw some blue loctite on those threads for good measure.

-stunks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Blue locktite is the same stuff used on a thermostat housing on cars, right? If so, I've already got some. I just need to buy the sights. I like the Trijicons on my XD but they were $100 from the SA Custom Shop. Dammit I'm broke

·
Registered
310 Posts
I replaced the front sight on my P99. I was able to use a very small socket -- if I were going to do it on a regular basis, I might get the Glock tool or grind down the exterior of the socket for a better fit.

The blue LokTite is a must. I thought I could get by without it....30 rounds later the sight fell off. A couple of drops of blue...and 500 rounds without a hint of coming loose. Live and learn!

Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bluebomberx @ Aug. 09 2005,13:17)]Blue locktite is the same stuff used on a thermostat housing on cars, right? If so, I've already got some. I just need to buy the sights. I like the Trijicons on my XD but they were $100 from the SA Custom Shop. Dammit I'm broke
Loctite 242 is THE one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got some XS 24/7 express night sights for my P99 AS, and they are very easy to install. In fact, the back sight is adjustable just like the factory's. You just transfer the adjusting screw to the new sight.

To remove the rear sight, push down on the the little dowel pin at the bottom of the sight screw,it has a little relief cut/slot in it where the head of the screw rests. That's what basically holds the sight in place. It is spring loaded and should not be all that stiff. You should be able to press it down with your thumb nail. Hold it down, and push the rear sight to the left. It's that easy.

Only thing with the XS sights, they are a V-notch rear sight with a bar, instead of your vanilla 3 dot set-up, so you might not like them. I prefer this type of set-up because I notice it helps me shoot a little more accurately. Plus they're made of metal instead of the cheap plastic the factory uses.

As for the front sight, a socket and some locktite. If you get the XS sights, they'll come with a tool/socket for installing the front sight.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the front sight on my Trijicons, I just cut a shallow slot in the little screws hex head with a dremel cutting disc and then used a little screwdriver to install it (with blue loctite). Some day I will buy the Glock sight tool; Brownell's has it for $20.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used blue Loctite (242) and my front sight was loose after about 4 range visits (1,000 rounds). It was VERY loose, the screw unthreaded itself many turns.

I reattached it with red Loctite (271) and it has held strong through countless range visits and about 6,000 rounds.

Red Loctite costs the same as blue, there is no reason not to use it. It will hold stronger, but it will still allow you to remove the sight if desired by just touching a hot soldering iron to it for a while.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I use blue loctite on my P22 and it holds great. Just requires a hand tool to loosen threads. Oftentimes, if the loctite isn't holding, you haven't cleaned all the gunk off of the threads. Usually, this is oil or solvent. The threads have to be clean and dry with the blue stuff and it holds great.

There's also the possibility that during cleaning some oil or solvent is sneaking underneath the sight to eat away at the loctite. I'm glad red is working for you.

-stunks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts