Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was covered a few weeks ago, when I first got my new Meprolight sights in. I was unable to find the red locktight, so I used the blue, as did others.
Just a heads up, but Hoppe's 9 will dissolve that stuff FAST.
I was doing a very heavy cleaning after an all day shoot, and I had coated the inside of the slide and put it off to the side. After 10 mins. work on the bbl, I grabbed the slide, and saw that the front sight was loose.
Just something to keep in mind.
My new Sig is going to have factory nightsights, just to save me the trouble

·
Registered
75 Posts
Be careful with Hoppes.
I would not use the Hoppes No. 9 on anything other than the inside of the barrel. It is a solvent and such will dissolve not only adhesives like the blue locktite but maybe a finish or polymer too. It can remove the exterior finish on CZ75s if it gets into a crack under the coating . I use CLP or equal on the non barrel surfaces which must be cleaned and wipe it off. A small film should remain to prevent rust.
If an area needs lubrication, such as rails and where the barrel exterior rides and rubs, I reapply a thin coat of CLP. Maybe a thicker coat on SIG rails which seem to cry for lubrication.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How can the screw become loose if the locktight dissolves? I went thru 3 front sights before I realized the screw was bottoming out on my sight and not the slide. I then filed the bottom of my sight down. The guys at meprolight were very good at replacing them until I figured it out. They said a few people had trouble.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I use Hoppe's regularly on all of the Walthers. I've never had any sort of a problem with polymer or finishes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was #9, and I have never had any problems with the finish either.
It's a moot point now, as I am going to try some Mpro7 (as soon as FedEx gets here).
I have heard wunderbar things about it, and all the staff at the Sig Academy said it was top shelf. Also, it's non toxic, so I won't pass out while cleaning my weapons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts