Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called MMC (800.998.7483) to inquire about any tritium night sight available for P99, as their website and Brownells catalog do not list anything applicable for P99.

As it was reported here before, while I was on hold, the recording saying "...welcome to Innovated Weaponry Inc...". The person I talked to was very helpful. While the brand MMC doesn't have anything for P99, but PT Sights do. The way he put it sounded like MMC-PT-Innovated Weaponry Inc are all related or could be subsidiary entities.

Anyway, he accepted my request by just ordering the front sight. He even told me there are several heights of the front sights available, similar to the stock plastics. I told him that I need the No.4 (0.1765"), he wrote it down and said it is available. He said if the height does not fit, I can always return and change to another height. He also mentioned the sight is life time guaranteed. The cost is $45 plus shipping.

Read a post from TFL recently about PT Sight restructured their customer service dept, it sounds that way so far. I'll receive the front sight in two days, be able to update you its quality.

The reason why I only ordered the front sight is that I am very used to the stock No.4 front sight and the white outlined Euro rear sight. The Euro rear sight is somewhat lower profile than the regular two-dot rear sight. I tried both Trijicon and Meprolight front sights, both are taller than the stock No.4, and must have to install the entire set in order to make it works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You did EXACTLY like what I want to do. Tritium front ONLY....and something OTHER than the seemingly FRAGILE 'target' rear Americanized sight. I WANT something similar to a STANDARD Glock rear sight...preferrably NON-Tritium.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got the PT front sight installed.
From the day I placed the order to the day I received it via FedEx service, I had to call them several times to speed up the process.
From what they described, they do not have all the night sights immediately available for all the makes and models, the place where I called is more like a shop which accepts the order and actually make the sights. Normal processing time is about 10-14 days, according to them. I am glad that I was able to provide the actual measurement, 0.1765" (of the stock No.4, thanks to Jim Costanza) they wrote that down in the work order and make the way I specified.
Unfortunately the battery of digital camera dried up and unable to provide the image. The metallic front sight is slightly longer than the stock plastics, has a very slight slant at the top, it's more like a rectangular shape when looked sideway compared to the stock's trapezium shape. The width is tiny little thinner than the stock plastic. The top printed "P-TH3". Like the Trijicon, the vial has a white ring around the tritium capsule/lens. The total area of the white ring with the tritium insert is slightly larger than the plastic white dot. The overall look is less blocky than the Trijicon.
A Glock amourer at the local range installed this piece for me. To our surprise, the tenon at the base fits the hole on the slide (I ordered one from Earl's, the tenon is longer and a little wider than the slot), in fact there was a little play after installed. We also feel the hex screw is a little too short. The amourer used some locktite to fix the problem. Since we were at the range, we compared it with Trijicon and Meprolight sights in a dark room, the luminosity is pretty much the same among all.
The warranty states: life-time for all tritium dots, 5 yrs for tritium bar installations, 1 yr for bars installed into customer's existing sights. Sounds like they accept orders for installing vials or modifications of existing sights.
The price is $45 plus $9 for FedEx 2nd Day service.
This is all I can described so far. I'll have an indoor match tomorrow night, and will find out whether the sight will fly out after strings of rapid fire.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have absolutely no personal experience with PT night sights.

I have read quite a few threads/posts on various gun-related boards that indicate dissatisfaction with the tritium vials, i.e., dimmer than most other brands and/or premature failure.

Over time, if your experience is different, I would certainly appreciate your written report.  Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Catbird, I have read similar reports/posts regarding PT sights before, especially at TFL. In fact I wasn't even considered to order the PT sight due to those reports. When I called MMC I hope that they may have something for P99, but ended up it becomes PT sight. The package I received has both MMC and PT sights catalogs, they have to be related.

Tonight's match has more than 100 rds used, so far so good, it stays on. When I cleaned the gun afterwards, everthing seems fine. One of the sessions tonight was rapid fire with moving target and all the lights turned off, I find the night sight surely helps in this scenario; the shooters next to me complained about they couldn't see the front sights at all on their stock 1911s and Glocks. Again, time will tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts