Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a set of night sights for my P-99. Looking at Trijicon and MeproLights. What does everyone think?
Can these be installed by myself or will I need to take it to a shop?
(Apologies in advance if this was discussed earlier!)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I prefer Trijicon. Some will argue this because Meprolights are cheaper and in the beginning seem just as good, but Trijicon generally last longer. I've had several friends who are FFL's and multiple contacts in LE and they all use Trijicon when it comes to their gear.

-You can install the night sights yourself, but a lot of gun stores will install them for free if you buy the sights there as opposed to online. If you choose to install them yourself, you'll need the proper tools (a radiused screwdriver for the the rearsight screw and a 3/16 hexagonal wrench for the frontsight screw) and Locktite. They are several strengths of Locktite. You do not want the one that needs heat to undo the bond. Keep in mind, at some point you're going to have to replace them. With Trijicon it'll generally be around the 12 year mark and Mepro's will be around the 8 year mark.

Good luck-

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mep's will appear brighter at night because they use a white surround as opposed to Trijicons silver surround. the white reflects more light from the tritium vials. i prefer Mep's, but my Sig's have SigLites, which have Trijicon vials in them.

here's my G19's Meps:

here's my P226's Trijicons:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Current Trijicon's have the white rings around the ampules.
The rear sight is a little loose on Trijicons but I put a very thin strip of epoxy on the edges of the sight, let it dry and then mount them in the slide...fits very snug then!!! Plus you can still remove it as the glue is solid at that time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Look at the night sights from Earls Repair Service. I checked them out in person last week and they are beautiful sights. and you can install them yourself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hk-sigman @ Mar. 06 2004,2:41)]Look at the night sights from Earls Repair Service. I checked them out in person last week and they are beautiful sights. and you can install them yourself.
I second that. I have the night sights from Earl's. He uses the Tritium inserts from Trijicon. -The rear sight is a snug fit.

-I didn't mention it before since they are more expensive and you seemed to have narrowed the category to Trijicon or Mepro's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts