Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying the tritium sights from Earl's and was wondering if anyone here has any complaints about the front post height? I know Walther supplies different height front posts (although I have not needed to change mine) but I assume Earl only gives you one height. Does anyone know what height that corresponds to? Has anyone had their groups thrown up or down by more than a couple inches at ~25 yards? Thanks for the replies.

-polarcow

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I can't speak for Earl's but I can say this much...I have a set of Meps on my compact and a set of red fiber on my full size that I use for competition. Both of these sights are metal and only come in one size for the front...I haven't had any problem with accuracy but I confess that I either shoot 7yds CCW range or 25yds full body target range for USPSA. But if you are getting them for night sight purposes I don't think it will matter much.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I just got a set of night sights from Earl's. My initial impression is that it lowers my grouping slightly, which is fine with me because I was shooting a little high before. The one front night sight provided by Earl's is a little taller than the factory sight that was on my P99 AS. At least that was my impression by eyeballing them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, since the consensus is that it doesn't change a whole lot I will go ahead with my purchase.

-polarcow

·
Patron
212 Posts
I just got a set of night sights from Earl's. My initial impression is that it lowers my grouping slightly, which is fine with me because I was shooting a little high before. The one front night sight provided by Earl's is a little taller than the factory sight that was on my P99 AS. At least that was my impression by eyeballing them.
That's a good thing in my opinion. I've had to install the taller front sights on all my P99's as they were all hitting high. 9mm and 40 S&W.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So what's a guy to do if I had to install the short front sight (was shooting low w/ default sight), but wants to purchase night sights?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
guys keep in mind that the P99 gets test fired at 25 meters..... that is further away than what most of us train and shoot at......

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is true, good call.

I had immediately better results when switching to the lower post height; however, I shoot 99% only b/w 7 and 40 ft.

It could be that my technique was causing me to shoot low, and the lower post height is now just helping hide poor form/etc. (A newbie shooter's form isn't perfect...no way! I guess I'm like a golfer who blames the high score on his clubs instead of his swing.)

Would you recommend I move forward w/ the night sights and just hone the shooting skills to whatever the post with which they come? Or hone the shooting skills, then get the sights?

Any advice would be appreciated, I've got only 1000 rounds down range on this gun, which happens to be the extent of my shooting experience.

Thanks much for your time!!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I may be way off here.... but try not to use the dots to much at first when just shooting at paper...... just put the top of your front sight level with the top of the rear sight and make sure you got the same amount of clearance on the rear sight.........this helped me a lot
however I think most important is triggercontrol..... dry practice with your P99 to make sure you are not jerking the trigger
also keep in mind that nightsights are only for low light situations.... when you have no light and can't be sure of what's behind your target or even make out your target at all nightsights are useless.....

If I was you though..... I would get them now and just make sure you work on your skills.......
I am sure there will be some more people to give you input.......
(sniper350 are you watching:eek: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts