Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fella I just bought a Ruger P85 (my first 9mm Ruger, just to have one in the safe) has a wartime (1944?) P38 he's looking to sell.

I've got a P1, P4 and Manurhin P1, plus a P5 and would love to have an "original" P38 as well. After he described it to me and that it had all the requisite markings (and it was sounding pretty good)....he added it had been chromed. Damn.

Or maybe not. I know it's value as a collector piece is destroyed. And I really don't need a "shooter" as my other classic Walthers are a lot more than shooters.

But I'm wondering what one like that is worth. I'm assuming for now that it's in decent shape, except for all the silver stuff all over it. And I have no idea who made it.

He sorta said he was thinking 'round $500. After looking at prices for them on Gunbroker….I'd say $500 was low. But I've not priced them on the "sold" section yet and I'm wondering what folks on here think.

The $800+ or so being asked on GB is a bit rich for my blood and $500 I can see. But......

He's a decent guy and I don't want to lead him on....so I'd hoping for some thoughts here before I speak with him again.

thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sad story that happened to a lot of them. Neither collector nor in your case even a shooter.

I would not pay more than 300 for a chromed P38, even if I wanted one. That would be for the grips and magazine which might be still good if in original condition!

But that's just me, there are people who like it as part of the gun's history.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The nickeled P.38 is not with any more than $450 to $500. It is not a collectable gun but only a shooter because the finish was done sometime after the gun from Wll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts