Walther Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Imo the plastic cleaning rod was introduced w. the black plastic box.
I suppose it wasn't a hard break but rather a question of availability. I know of many complete and pristine sets with plain brown cardboard boxes that already the black cleaning rod. But I think we can say that in the black plastic boxes we usually don't find any bronze cleaning rods. But I'm not sure. I have to investigate it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a good question. I'd say it was during the year 1970 that Walther switched to the black cleaning rods. So both rod versions may be correct. Does your 1970 gun come in the plain brown cardboard box?
Yes, it came in the plain brown cardboard box. the brass cleaning rod looks just like a black cleaning rod except color, of course. The manual was for PP/PPK and in three languages. English, German, and French. says it was printed in Ulm, DE. It's 47 pages with some ads for holsters/grips in the very back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm new to this forum but long time owner of Walthers. I've had this one maybe twenty years. Never shot it, its just been gathering dust in the gun safe. Pulled it out today and was wondering again about the nickel finish. I know there weren't many in nickel and those that are, are more often than not refinished by other than Walther/Interarms. I see no obvious signs of a refinish but I don't know what the "tells" are on Walthers. I have many S&Ws and much experience in evaluating refinished ones but don't know what to look for on the PPK/S. As you'll note in the pictures the box is original to the gun and the tools appear unused. Don't know that that means anything but in the S&W world it would be unusual to find a "bubba" finished gun in its original box. Appreciate any insights and, original or otherwise, thoughts on value would be appreciated as well.

Thanks much,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I showed Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating & Weaponry a picture of your pistol. He said it was a very good job and how a bright nickel plated pistol should look in the letters and the banner. He couldn't say if it was factory plated or not though. Just an FYI. Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Jeff,
I showed Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating & Weaponry a picture of your pistol. He said it was a very good job and how a bright nickel plated pistol should look in the letters and the banner. He couldn't say if it was factory plated or not though. Just an FYI. Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciate the information. Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Also, as a followup, I have a bronze cleaning rod that came with my 1970 Walther. Is that correct?
Have a look at this mess. That's because I usually take the tools out from my boxes because I fear scratches so much. That makes it a little difficult now to know from which boxes I removed the cleaning rods. But the interesting fact is that I found three black metal rods. This number could correspond to the three guns that come each with a plain brown box. Furthermore I'd say that I can't remember having ever seen a steel rod in a plastic box.
Rods.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have a look at this mess. That's because I usually take the tools out from my boxes because I fear scratches so much. That makes it a little difficult now to know from which boxes I removed the cleaning rods. But the interesting fact is that I found three black metal rods. This number could correspond to the three guns that come each with a plain brown box. Furthermore I'd say that I can't remember having ever seen a steel rod in a plastic box.
View attachment 92648
I've found the plastic ones go with plastic boxes. I've got a brass one in one plain brown box and a black metal one in another plain brown box. So, I think you're correct in that the 3 black ones came from plain brown boxes.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I've found the plastic ones go with plastic boxes. I've got a brass one in one plain brown box and a black metal one in another plain brown box. So, I think you're correct in that the 3 black ones came from plain brown boxes.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there were transitional periods, especially in the phase of transitions between 1970 and 1973. So far I haven't found anything about it in the literature. But I found on the internet some photos of pristine 1970 sets with the plain brown box and the brass cleaning rod. So both of your boxes really could be 100% correct.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My brass one came in an earlier plain brown box and the black one in a later brown box. So, I'm pretty sure you are correct. I would venture that Walther stopped making the brass ones and probably put them in until they ran out and then issued the black ones... You just never know for sure.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts