Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum but long time owner of Walthers. I've had this one maybe twenty years. Never shot it, its just been gathering dust in the gun safe. Pulled it out today and was wondering again about the nickel finish. I know there weren't many in nickel and those that are, are more often than not refinished by other than Walther/Interarms. I see no obvious signs of a refinish but I don't know what the "tells" are on Walthers. I have many S&Ws and much experience in evaluating refinished ones but don't know what to look for on the PPK/S. As you'll note in the pictures the box is original to the gun and the tools appear unused. Don't know that that means anything but in the S&W world it would be unusual to find a "bubba" finished gun in its original box. Appreciate any insights and, original or otherwise, thoughts on value would be appreciated as well.

Thanks much,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
There are real finish experts here, and Walther experts here, to give you a definitive answer. But I will tell you, the flats are dead flat, and the rollmarks are unblemished. If it has been refinished, it was done from new, or nearly so.
That is one beautiful pistol, no doubt about it.
The only thing I'd question is the absence of paint in the sights.
Moon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for posting that link to the PPK/L. That's a beautiful gun. I'm looking for a 1969 or 1970 PPK/S 380 in nickel. Not refinished, but original like the one in the picture...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm new to this forum but long time owner of Walthers. I've had this one maybe twenty years. Never shot it, its just been gathering dust in the gun safe. Pulled it out today and was wondering again about the nickel finish. I know there weren't many in nickel and those that are, are more often than not refinished by other than Walther/Interarms. I see no obvious signs of a refinish but I don't know what the "tells" are on Walthers. I have many S&Ws and much experience in evaluating refinished ones but don't know what to look for on the PPK/S. As you'll note in the pictures the box is original to the gun and the tools appear unused. Don't know that that means anything but in the S&W world it would be unusual to find a "bubba" finished gun in its original box. Appreciate any insights and, original or otherwise, thoughts on value would be appreciated as well.

Thanks much,

Jeff
Hi, that is a beautiful piece. I'm looking for a W. German one like it now. Hopefully, a 1969 or so. I'm selling off all my newer PPK/S guns that are S&W or Walther USA and just keeping the W. German ones. Thanks for sharing. Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thanks much,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
If you are interested in selling this pistol, please contact me. I'm an FFL and looking for an early W. German PPK/S 380 ACP nickel plated. I have a standing order with Earl, the only authorized Walthers rep in America for German guns. I'm looking for a '69 or '70 nickel plated. But, your's would be perfect as well. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,
I don't really collect Walthers although I do have a few others; older S&Ws being my main interest. I've been selling some non S&Ws that I've picked up over the years mostly just to make room for more S&Ws. I would consider selling this one but am not sure of value; had hoped to get some thoughts on that here. Figured the key issue was whether it was original nickel or not. My eye says original and the box clearly being original to the gun seemed to support that but I have so little experience with Walther production I hoped someone here would be able to tell. You can e mail me at [email protected] if you want to discuss further. Thanks.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I see no obvious signs of a refinish but I don't know what the "tells" are on Walthers.
The only thing that surprises me is the missing "MADE IN GERMANY" on the left grip plate. It seems that at some time the grip plate was replaced. But is it a sign of a refinish? It's difficult to answer this question. It's about as difficult to find a reason for the presence of the wrong grip plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that but wouldn't have known it should be there anyway. Also interesting, on the picture on the manual, no "MADE IN GERMANY" on the one in the picture either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mike,
I don't really collect Walthers although I do have a few others; older S&Ws being my main interest. I've been selling some non S&Ws that I've picked up over the years mostly just to make room for more S&Ws. I would consider selling this one but am not sure of value; had hoped to get some thoughts on that here. Figured the key issue was whether it was original nickel or not. My eye says original and the box clearly being original to the gun seemed to support that but I have so little experience with Walther production I hoped someone here would be able to tell. You can e mail me at [email protected] if you want to discuss further. Thanks.
Jeff
Hello Jeff,
If you can decide on a reasonable price, let me know. I'm selling off all my 380's like a Browning BDA in the $800-900 range. I have a S&W Walther PPK/S 380 and two Walther USA PPK/S for sale also. One is blued the other is stainless. The S&W is stainless. They are on Gunbroker. com and my id is Defensive Shooting. Personally, I carry a Springfield EMP LW Compact 9mm as my EDC. So, I'm not going to be carrying it. Just a range gun for fun. I have a couple of S&W model 60's in .357 for sale. Two 60-14's and one 60-9 no lock in stainless steel. I also have a S&W 686-8 Plus Deluxe, .357 mag, wood scales and stainless. Due to the virus thing, gun sales are starting to pick up again after being static for quite awhile. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello Jeff,
If you can decide on a reasonable price, let me know. I'm selling off all my 380's like a Browning BDA in the $800-900 range. I have a S&W Walther PPK/S 380 and two Walther USA PPK/S for sale also. One is blued the other is stainless. The S&W is stainless
Hello Jeff,
If you can decide on a reasonable price, let me know. I'm selling off all my 380's like a Browning BDA in the $800-900 range. I have a S&W Walther PPK/S 380 and two Walther USA PPK/S for sale also. One is blued the other is stainless. The S&W is stainless. They are on Gunbroker. com and my id is Defensive Shooting. Personally, I carry a Springfield EMP LW Compact 9mm as my EDC. So, I'm not going to be carrying it. Just a range gun for fun. I have a couple of S&W model 60's in .357 for sale. Two 60-14's and one 60-9 no lock in stainless steel. I also have a S&W 686-8 Plus Deluxe, .357 mag, wood scales and stainless. Due to the virus thing, gun sales are starting to pick up again after being static for quite awhile. Thanks, Mike
P.S.
I just sold a NIB S&W 586 Classic 6" .357 mag for $900 a few weeks back. I'm in process of selling a 1976 Colt Diamondback .38 spl 4" at the moment and someone else has bid on my Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
The only thing that surprises me is the missing "MADE IN GERMANY" on the left grip plate. It seems that at some time the grip plate was replaced. But is it a sign of a refinish? It's difficult to answer this question. It's about as difficult to find a reason for the presence of the wrong grip plate.
Balog, would this pistol have required the wretched 'thumb rest' grip for import? I promptly replaced those every time I got an imported Walther.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Balog, would this pistol have required the wretched 'thumb rest' grip for import? I promptly replaced those every time I got an imported Walther.
Moon
No, a thumb rest grip wasn't required for import in case of this gun.

Im talking about the marking "MADE IN GERMANY" that can be seen on the bottom of the left grip plate on German made PP, PPK, and PPK/S models starting in 1968:

By the way, the marking "MADE IN GERMANY" is only present on gun types that already existed in 1968. That's the reason we don't find it on the PPK/S .22 introduced in 2013.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Balogh and I talked about this marking a few days ago. Export guns were marked rel. early, mostly stamped behind the trigger lhs. In 1968 Walther resp. Interarms started to mark these guns on the left grip plate. I thought, this ended in the early 70's, when Walther changed the rollmarking on the slide. But Balogh knows about several guns marked this way until 1986.

We know, grips were changed as often as magazines. So we do not know, original or not...

In addition: Cleaning brush of course is not original ;)

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
But Balogh knows about several guns marked this way until 1986.
Even all of my six German post-1986 PP, PPK, and PPK/S models show the marking "MADE IN GERMANY" on the left grip plate. Also the exemplars sold in Germany have such grip plates. The only exception I found so far are some very first 100 years anniversary PP models that have plain grip plates. I own such a NIB gun and I found some similiar NIB exemplars on the internet.

Also I know of some early post-1968 PPK models sold by Interarms that have a special right grip plate showing an American Eagle and the distributor's name. I don't know if such grip plates also existed for PP and PPK/S models. I can't remember having ever seen such guns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No, a thumb rest grip wasn't required for import in case of this gun.

Im talking about the marking "MADE IN GERMANY" that can be seen on the bottom of the left grip plate on German made PP, PPK, and PPK/S models starting in 1968:
View attachment 92576

By the way, the marking "MADE IN GERMANY" is only present on gun types that already existed in 1968. That's the reason we don't find it on the PPK/S .22 introduced in 2013.
Thank you so much for posting this picture. I almost made a huge mistake. I had put some Nill Walnut grips on one of my Walthers and had taken off the original polymer grips. When I readied the gun for sale, I put a Made in Germany set of black grips back on a Walthers USA PPK/S. I had two sets of black grips, one from one of my W. German pistols and one from the USA pistol. You saved me a big headache. Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a question for Martin or Balogh. I bought a used S&W Walther PPK/S in 9mm Kurz quite awhile back. I'm getting it ready for sale. I noticed when I first bought it, that it had flat bottoms on both mags. That didn't really bother me as I prefer those to the finger rest. However, to ready it for sale, I wanted it to be correct and ordered a S&W finger rest 7 rd mag that is OEM Walther. It is a shiney nickel, whereas the two that came with the S&W are a satin finish nickel that is almost a light bronzy/pinkish color. They both have Walther stamped on them. I can't find a replacement that matches them with the finger rest. I do have two other flat bottom nickel mags stamped Walther, which match the one I just bought with the finger rest. Which is correct? Should I switch out the satin finish flat bottom for the shiney nickel one? Thanks, Mike Also, as a followup, I have a bronze cleaning rod that came with my 1970 Walther. Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Change the finger rest bottom. All these mags were made by MecGar, finger rests bottoms are identical.

Reactions: Balogh

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Also, as a followup, I have a bronze cleaning rod that came with my 1970 Walther. Is that correct?
That's a good question. I'd say it was during the year 1970 that Walther switched to the black cleaning rods. So both rod versions may be correct. Does your 1970 gun come in the plain brown cardboard box?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts