Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a TPH on GB,GA and AA for a while now, and most available are US manufacture in stainless. I nearly fell over this morning when I walked into my local dealer and there was a 1982 date coded, NIB with test target and extra mag, all blue of course. (s/n 290xxx). He's asking $995, which seems to be a good price. Comments would be appreciated - TIA.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
take it and run
the last one in .25acp went for over $1800 on Gunbroker

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Ditto -- and run quickly. The Gunsamerica offerings that are German-made Walthers generally list at upwards of $1,400 or more. All things being equal, that is a good price, especially in the condition described.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
A perfectly useless pistol-- it comes without an accessory rail, and there's no place to attach one.

(...that's a joke, guys.)

M

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
And a good one, Mike ... though I am glad that you reminded us of the gag.

Maybe some inventive Bubba could figure out a creative way to attach a TPH to the rail of a P99. Now THAT would a gun! :)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Why not? A co-ax subcaliber aiming device, kinda like the M1903A2 that was used with field artillery.

M

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Perfect. All that's needed now is to attach some sort of flashlight device to the side of the TPH and you'd really be on to something. Heck, a guy would have to buy two of these rigs, just in case one needed to be sent back to the customer service folks at S&W for a workover.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Since S&W has had nothing to do with the TPH, I'm not sure they would be particularly interested in servicing one.

The American-made TPHs unfortunately did not have a great reputation for reliability. They either worked perfectly or poorly, a very apt demonstration of what happens when factory QC is not maintained. Just as Walther/Umarex is learning now with the PPS, whatever initial testing has been done to bring a gun to market is not enough; problems with off-spec materials and drifting tolerances creep in during ongoing production (sometimes repeatedly), and unless inspection and test firing is kept up at close intervals, things can go to hell in a hurry.

I have a stainless TPH of later production that, fresh off the assembly line, was subjected to a 1,000 round functioning test in order to verify that certain production corrections were being maintained. Just prior to that, some guns were coming off the line that were not working properly. This one breezed through the test with less than 1/10th of 1% malfunctions from all causes-- which is less than the expected reliability of Remington rimfire ammunition. I bought that gun, but I would not trust any other that has not been similarly tested.

The German guns generally work well, but only in single-action. Often they misfire in double-action, and there is no easy fix.

M

M

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I could neither afford it nor ignore it, so I bought it. Absolutely NIB, just the test rounds thru it. No wear whatsoever on the slide rails or anywhere. So do I shoot it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had a 22lr German TPH about 20 years ago. It was not new, but hadn't been handled or fired so that you would notice. Came with the box, etal.
It had a weak hammer spring and would not reliably fire because of it. I contacted Interarms, explained the problem, made sure they knew I wasn't the first owner, but they still fixed it no charge.
I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was pretty cheap compared to today's market and it was before Interarms started producing them in the US.
I eventually sold it because it didn't fit my hand well even though I only have medium sized hands. After that I stuck to PPKs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts