Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this one up today; a NIB Interarms stainless PPK in .380ACP. I love these things! Here’s the obligatory pics. First one is the new gal; then the second pic is with her siblings, a stainless PPK/S in .380 too

and a French PPK/S in .22LR

Did I say I love these things? Well I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And I took her to the range today; 150 flawless rounds went down the pipe with zero problems. I was shooting Geco 95 gr FMJ, Federal 95 gr FMJ, and Fiocchi, also 95 gr FMJ. She ate ‘em all up. I also shot my PPK/S Pistols; 1 each. In .380 and .22lr. Funny; the little 22 does not like Eley Force, or any bulk pack stuff I’ve tried but it runs great on either CCI or Fiocchi 40 gr copper plated. It even runs CCI Standard well. Good thing she likes that Fiocchi, cause I got a bunch of it and am gonna buy more if I can still find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoarder. :censored: How is the .22 misbehavin'? Nice set of pistols. 1917
The PPK/S .22 wants to Fail to Feed, nose up jams, with the Eley Force, a HV 40 grain lead round nose round; an average of about 2 jams with every magazine. Same thing with the Federal Bulk Pack 36 gr rounds in both the blue and red boxes off 500-550 each. When I run CCI 40 gr Mini Mags through it, it's boringly reliable, same thing with the Fiocchi HV 40 gr ammo. Haven't tried the 36 gr CCI MM HP rounds yet, as I try to pick up the 40 grainers when I can and have lots more of that than the 36'ers I also had a couple boxes of CCI Standard in the old range bag and by golly gee, she digested that stuff just fine. Well, one box of 50 rounds of it anyway.

Both the newest to join the family, the little PPK, and her bigger sibling the PPK/S continue to function flawlessly with Federal, Remington, GECO, and as expected the Fiocchi ammo, all in 95 gr FMJ.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Hmmmmm? That sounds like a mag issue but it would be interesting to have careful measurements of rim dia, case dia, case length, oal, etc. Do you happen to remember if it feeds properly with Eley or Fed bulk when only five rounds are in the mag? 1917

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@1917-1911M: You know what, I didn't try that. It did the FTF thing with both mags. But I will try the 5 round thing, and we'll see. I shall report back after I can make that happen. Thanks for the help here.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Not sure what help I've been but it isn't unusual for .22 mags to act up in these pistols. The reason is that the rounds stack in a curve with .22 ammo due to the rim. Modern .22 magazines have a slot cut in the upper rear so the top four or five rounds can stagger a bit. This eliminates the nose down attitude that can occur with old PP mags. I actually cut slots in one to correct this...most people won't as the mags are pretty hard to come by and are expensive. But, the nose down stacking usually causes stoppages because the nose digs into the bottom of the feed ramp. Fewer rounds in the mag and fewer feeding problems. This isn't exactly what you are experiencing. Your rounds are going nose up. Why? Hitting the feed ramp and wear or something out of spec on the feed lips is letting these rounds bounce up. They shouldn't of course. The rounds should ride nose up, body of the round against the feed lips of the mag. I'll be glad to measure a few old .22 mags and report the width at the front of the lips but I'm wondering why some rounds are feeding and some aren't. Mags can cause some strange issues. 1917

·
Registered
236 Posts
I suspect the mag lips to be the culprit here. It wouldn't hurt to take a pair of needle nosed pliers and slightly bend the lips in. Very slightly. I'm no gunsmith so the advice is worth what it cost.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Actually, it might be of more benefit to simply squeeze the sides of the mags in a bit and not bend the lips. You enter a slippery slope if you go bending the lips. The hardened steel cracks very easily nor can it be repaired. But the first effort should be toward measuring the lips/ After all, some brands are feeding 100%

P22 mag on the left and a PP on the right. If you look carefully you will note that the rear lips on the p22 mag are considerably longer than those on the PP. This guides the body of the round for a longer period of time before allowing the rear of the cartridge to pop up. By that time the nose of the round is well seated against the feed ramp if not nosing into the chamber in fact. P22s feed very reliably.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
I checked a proper functioning PP .22 mag that is in excellent condition. Measurements are as follows.

0.185" front of rear mag lips at tightest point.
0.190" when a stack of 10 rounds is inserted with the top round pulled forward 1/4". The rim is slightly spreading the lips.
0.248" front lips, guides, whatever they are.

The body of the round can lift as the cartridge moves forward. This is due to a couple of things....greater leverage of the nose of the round being able to force the round upward, the rim pivoting off the stack of rounds as the stack is pressed down a bit. I purposely held the follower up tight against allowing the stack to move downward and the round would not lift. This seems to say a couple of things....neither one that I think you can easily fix. I would press the entire upper center of the mag in to tighten the lips if they are wider than .018", not try to bend each with pliers. Or, use the ammo that works and leave things as they are.

Only testing will determine if you can correct this with Eley and Fed ammo. I had a mag that one time caused all manner of issues, stovep pipes, allowing an unfired round to jump ship while the next one chambered, etc. and when I measured it....the lips were tighter than the one that functioned fine. Widening the lips to match did cure the issues but what a bunch of crazy things out of spec mags can cause. 1917

Cartridge case dia, not fired.

0.2235 to 0.224 Winchester 36 gr
0.2235 Rem Goldens
0.2235 CCI quiet
0.2235 Fed Match
0.2335 CCI Copper

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, I read over the feeding with certain rounds part of the OP. In that case, answer is simple...shoot the readily available rounds it works with.

As for bulk .22 v boxed .22, if it's the same round except the box, the only difference IS the box. IOW, Remington Gold .22 bulk is the same as Remington Gold in the 50 or 100 round boxes. I've never seen SV .22 in bulk. I've got a little Rem and some CCI stored away and don't shoot anything else very much. I had a brick of Wolf Match that was really good, but it's gone. Different guns have different appetites.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Gene L ; I have bought both Blazer and CCI SV in 500 round bricks. Of course, the brick consisted of 10 boxes of 50 rounds. I suspect the same would be true were one to place an order for say 5,000 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
.22 pistols, their magazines, and their ammunition are a strange combination that often leads to mischief.
Listen to Gene; run what it likes.
BTW, I've found Federal bulk to be good stuff, but maybe not in this application.
Moon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts