Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you're still tolerant of my newbie questions :rolleyes: After three weeks of proud ownership :D I've put over 450 rounds through my P99AS, breaking it in and getting to know it, with 35 of the rounds being Speer Gold Dots +P 124 grain, my chosen SD load (the rest being 115 gr. Rem UMC FMJ and mostly 124 gr. WWB FMJ). I've had no failures of any kind through three range sessions with a cleaning in between each. I am at the point where I can say without a doubt that the piece is a keeper and it will become my primary HD go-to handgun.

Wondering if it's necessary (as many advise) to now run 150-200 straight rounds of the Gold Dots through it, knowing how it's performed thus far. The negatives I see in doing so are a) cost and b) wear and tear on the gun from the +P's. What say you? And thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not necessary on the Gold Dots...Go out and run another 450 rds of WWB through it and you should be fine. 500 rds in the base to see if you weapon is broke in okay, guys I shoot competition with won't consider a gun broke in until 1000 rds...after that keep your +P stuff loaded in your mags and shoot them maybe once or twice a year...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can tell you from the ammount of ammo and Gold dot through my weapons in the past several years, that if it doesn't feed the weapons broken.

I really hate "break in period" because most modern weapons don't need a break in time like the 1911 that being said a proveing session of 500 rounds checks for factory defects.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts