Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an easy to use weapon for a female and had a question about the differences in the "AS" vs other models. The new "AS" I looked at has an extended magazine release which I am guessing is longer to facilitate easy release. How much harder is it to release a magizine with the shorter release? Any other differences that I didn't notice such as easier slide manipulation? Or does "AS" only stand for the DA/SA trigger pull. Thanks from the newbie.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AS just means DA/SA trigger, no difference in the mag release.
I think in '03-'04 they did lengthen the trigger guard mag release.

The mag release is easy to manipulate with the trigger finger and often easier to adjust to for less-experienced shooters who aren't in the habit of the usual thumb button on the left side of the grip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for a quick reply. If I find it hard to release mags can an older gun be fitted with the longer release?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The "short" mag release was used till 2004......
all 3 P99's I have are 2004 and have the short release.....

Compared to the H&KP2000 the magrelease on the P99 is way easy to use... and the nice thing about it is that you can use your triggerfinger also if the thumd is too much trouble....

My wife likes the P99c/AS I have over the fullsice P99... also she likes the finger extension on the P99c......

AS stands for "Anti stress" and yes it is DA/SA with however one big difference to the regular DA/SA
if you cock the AS ... the trigger does not go to the SA position like other DA/SA do... it stays all the way forward so it will retain the same triggertravel than in DA mode.. however there is no weight to the pull till you get to the SA mode... hope it makes sense

One other action is the "QA" which is like a Glock... precocked, same pull weight and length every shot... however the decocker on it will allow you to decock the gun and disasemble it without having to pull the trigger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked at some Walthers today and found they had both types of mag releases. Person showing the gun didn't even know the 2 guns were different. She found the short mag release easier to work. But now she thinks she wants a revolver instead. So I will have to buy the Walther for myself. Woo Hoo!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
good deal for you........
I like the shoter release better......also I think it is easy to manipulate.... much easier than on H&K's except the P7M8

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
At first, I preferred the short one - my newest fullsize one has the long one. But to be honest, after using it at the range a few times - I now prefer the longer release. And, I kinda wish I had it on my SW99 and P99c. Its nice when U get used to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts