Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do other people find the P99 DA pull to be less smooth than than that of a Sig Pro or HK P2000, for example (my other 2 pistols)? I think I have a harder time shooting the P99 for that reason, as much as I like the rest of the P99's ergonomics. I don't mean to be negative, but I was wondering what other people thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How many rounds do you have through your P99? I've heard that it takes a few hundred rounds to get the trigger to smooth out. Mine's still pretty atrocious.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Somewhat, I think it depends on the specific gun itself. Out of all 3, the DA on my P99c is the best.

To be honest, I don't shoot much with the double action - I do so every once in a while w/ my compact, but that's all.

I find the P99 DA to be lighter than the DA pull on any other DA/SA gun - like a Beretta or HK USP. So, I personally think its better.

U mentioned the P2000 as an example... Unless U get the DA/SA model of that, it comes with HK's LEM trigger - which is a whole different ballgame. Its hard to compare a DA/SA to that trigger, since it is totally different.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My DA got noticably better somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds. It was probably a little closer to 1000. However, I think that my P99's DA is just as smooth as a buddy's Sig P229. The break is also just as crisp.

So, I wouldn't call my P99's DA worse off than my other pistols, or even other pistols I've shot that aren't mine.

Like Blake asked, how many rounds through your P99 so far?

Let us know.

-stunks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have about 1000 rounds through it. Interesting that stunks' P99 DA is as good as a Sig P229. Maybe I picked up some grit in the mechanism somewhere. I'll probably try clean the frame more thoroughly this weekend. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Heheh :)

I guess a little bias might be in play here. However, a little story: The first time my friend shot My P99, he didn't like it at all. The AS trigger bothered him (he was only shooting single action). Once I got him to decock, and then fire, he was okay with the traditional double action operation, but didn't like the DA pull. It was long and gritty, and it stacked a little through the pull.

A couple of months ago he and I had another session and I happened to bring my P99. Since he became a police officer, he hasn't shot his 40 P229 in a while. So he wanted to shoot mine. Remembering how to work the thing, he chambered a round, decocked, and then fired.

He was AMAZED at how different he perceived the gun. He hadn't shot it since it was close to being new. The commented on how the trigger felt nice and smooth. He also mentioned how he thought it felt similar to his Sig.

Just to be sure, he brought his Sig the next time and both of us fired each side by side. Here's what we thought: The Sig seems to handle the 40's recoil a little better (probably because of the weight). Both DA triggers are smooth. The P99's DA feels a little longer, but is still smooth and crisp. The Walther's trigger felt lighter than the Sig's. Both of us were more accurate with the P99.

In short, my once loathed P99 got a positive nod from a self-proclaimed Sig-snob.

Take this story for what's worth (not much)! ;)

-stunks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse me stunksinatl, but do you clean the inside of your P99 frame, and if so what do you do? I'm thinking I may have some grit in the rear of the frame, where the trigger bar is pressed down to release the striker. I wiped that area down a bit and put some oil there and things are a better. I'll try to clean there more later, but I was wondering if you clean that area, and if so how? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
When I clean my frame....
I pull a lint free cloth through the magwell....
then a few drops of No9 on that rag and clean off anything I can get to with my fingers.. then some Q-tips with a drop of No9 at the places I can't get to otherwise.... a few drops of No9 on a toothbrush and I clean off the springs with it.....
I do not put any oil inside the frame at all.. as it attracts dirt..

·
Registered
821 Posts
+1

Me too, I don't oil the inside of the frame at all (just the slide rails). Everything does that I can get to with a finger gets solvent to clean off the powder residue (like the trigger bar and locking block). That's it!

I do not oil the trigger group. Just a light wipe with a slightly damp with solvent rag, and then another wipe with a dry patch.

Best of luck, I hope you can get your trigger to feel as good as I think mine feels!

-stunks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts