Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the perfect carry 9mm and came across the Walther P99. I'm looking for a 9mm that I can carry ccw and shoot IDPA. I like the mag release (like HKs as well). I also like the feel of the P99.
Is it worth the cost 600.00 locally? Can you carry it easily? Pics? Cost of magazines? Any and all you can tell me before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looking for the perfect carry 9mm and came across the Walther P99. I'm looking for a 9mm that I can carry ccw and shoot IDPA. I like the mag release (like HKs as well). I also like the feel of the P99.
Is it worth the cost 600.00 locally? Can you carry it easily? Pics? Cost of magazines? Any and all you can tell me before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance.
I think so. Magazines run around $30. I have about 12 of them. Expensive yes. Reliable yes. Worth it, yes. I'm not one that is as concerned about the cost of a gun. If there is something I want I will usually buy it locally and not spend hours searching and dealing with others over $50. The guys around here all like the Walther P99c for CCW. Mine is full size and conceals well enough for me. Good holsters are worth it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Either P99 or P99c will work great for ccw or IDPA. Mags are some pricey compared to Glock but on occassion can be had for $30 at Midway. Is it worth $600? Yes. Can you find it cheaper? Yes. But that is up to you as to whether you want to support your local dealer or not.

You won't find as many after market goodies for the P99 as you will for many others but you can find enough to meet your needs for ccw and IDPA or USPSA for that matter....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best place to buy? Budsgunshop? Night Sights? What holster do you carry your P99 in? Best source for magazines?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Buds is okay.
Nightsights...hmm, I have Meps and BigDot 24/7...if you are going to do IDPA I'd go with Meps...may need a little minor sanding but for the price you can't go wrong.

Midway has some mags currently on sale....$30 a pop.

For ease of carry I use a Fobus...but Earl's has some nice leather and I am thinking of getting one. All depends on what you want...IWB, OWB, paddle....?
I have a nice Galco Paddle for "Sunday" carry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For concealed carry I got an inexpensive Don Hume 36-4 that holds my .40S&W P99 just fine. From their website is seems to be called the NH715...

Putting it back into the holster after shooting is a PITA, but it works just fine for not a whole lot of money.

Q: Is the gun worth $600?

A: Not only yes, but H*ll Yes!

Worth every penny.

I'd recommend shooting the heck out of it, rather than having it "fixed" by a gunsmith.

Learn the gun, and how it works, rather than "fixing" a problem that may only exist in your mind.

Best place to buy is find a local gun shop that is willing to order it for you if they don't already have it.

If your local shop doesn't have one, ask them to order one. You may have to prepay, or put a down payment on it, but it may be cheaper in the long run than buying from an 'internet dealer' and not getting what you paid for (or etc.).

I recently bought a *censored* that was about $500 at a gun shop on the other side of town. I asked the shop down the street if they'd order one, and they did. For the same price as the shop across town.

Ask. The worst they could say is "no."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts