Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm on the hunt for a P99 AS. I noticed some P99's out there with OD frames which appear to have a decocker but are not labeled as an AS - are these different from an AS in any way? any feedback would be most welcome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did, but did not see anything on Lunde's Faq directly addressing this. The guns I'm referencing are indicated by the seller to be DA/SA not QA.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The AS branding is fairly new to the DA/SA version (the first version) of the P99. I think it started in '03. Prior to that, the gun was marketed as, simply, a P99. In the case of the DAO, a P990.

When the QA hit the market, the standard P99 became the P99AS, and the P990 became the P99DAO.

If you've found one that doesn't have any letters, it's likely a pre-2003 model. Same thing as an AS. It will have the ski-hump in the trigger guard, the old style serrations on the slide, a short magazine release, the squarish trigger guard front end, and the original Walther rail (as opposed to P99s manufactured in 2005 and after.) The differences are mainly cosmetic, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! that's exactly what I was after - I remember reading something along those lines but it was quite awhile ago. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Any P99 that is a "QA" model is marked "QA" event he ones before 2004
also you can tell them appart by the size of the decocker.... the "AS" or DA/SA P99's decocker is much bigger.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I understod it from a previous post i saw here, there are no OD frame AS guns out there. Am I remembering this correctly?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
there was OD framed DA/SA P99's ......however that changed in 2004 ....the current production only offers OD in the "P99/QA"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I found a LNIB pre-2004 P99 9mm, seller wants $500. He also has 6 15 round mags he might deal on - what do you all think? does that price sound fair?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That isn't too bad. I paid $580 plus dealer transfer for my 2007 9mm AS. They seem to be in short supply now so I'd say jump on it. My only caveat is that I've played with the short and long mag releases and for me the long one is ten times easier to operate. I do like the earlier slide serrations though...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I paid around $550 for my 2004 AS .40. I think the price is too high. As much as we like the P99 it's not a collectable. Take it out of the box and fire it and the price drops 20-30%. But, in the end the gun is worth exactly what -you- are willing to pay for it. If you want it desperately enough (i.e. it's rare to you) you will pay whatever he's asking. I'd try for $400 and hope to end up at $450.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought the same P99 Wednesday for $425. I think I should have offered $400 but, I didn't. Case, manual, 2 magazines, etc. factory test targets, and a fired cartridge in a sealed envelope that was signed from the factory were all included.

Got greedy and had Walther FedEx me a 15 round magazine. Now I wish I would have had them send another one. But I can wait for a less expensive price somewhere.

I always agree that if I bought something and was willing to pay the price for it. The cost really doesn't matter. I don't get soured if I find the same thing the next day 50% cheaper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts